Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
19 miles yesterday, another 18 today from Shoreham, up to Chanctonbury and back to get a good mix of flat and hillage. 60 mile week for the first time in a couple of years........

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well as I came last, I'd better post first. 1:44 bit disappointed- not so much with the time, more how hard I found it even to get that. Hastings much harder than I remember. Great event though- I'd put it up there with Barns Green as the two best halfs (and possibly road races) in Sussex . Great course, great organisation, great support and this year great weather.
I'll let the others post on their better efforts!
. .

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Enjoyed it today, tough course but great weather and crowds. I’d put it behind Barns Green as my favourite but I do think it’s tougher.

Not quite sure how I managed 1:28:24 which surpassed my expectations massively.

Now onto 10k season. AKA the devils season.

Good to see a fair few of the NSC crew today.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well as I came last, I'd better post first. 1:44 bit disappointed- not so much with the time, more how hard I found it even to get that. Hastings much harder than I remember. Great event though- I'd put it up there with Barns Green as the two best halfs (and possibly road races) in Sussex . Great course, great organisation, great support and this year great weather.
. .

Enjoyed it today, tough course but great weather and crowds. I’d put it behind Barns Green as my favourite but I do think it’s tougher.

Hiya, I was there today on the Queensway, on the crossing, just up from the Wishing Tree RA.
I did seen a young chap in a dark blue Albion towering earphones, where I shouted come on Brighton.
There was this fat bloke further on down shouting in a Croydon dialect at several runners in Palarse kit.
Well done to you guys today, great weather for it :clap:

PS [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] also

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Mixed feelings from today. Firstly very happy to take 3 minutes off my previous time and reinforced how much I enjoy this race especially when the weather is as kind as today. No wind, Hastings felt very early summer like and the usual enthusiastic support always leaves a warm memory. However I think I’m similar to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and had forgotten how tough this was. In hindsight I went off too fast and gave too much energy in getting up the ridgeway. Really started to feel it by mile 10 and the finish couldn’t come soon enough. I usually finish a race thinking I could have gone quicker but not today. Nothing left on the course and not sure I got my strategy right in any way.
Good to see so many NSC regulars today and congratulations to @bignuts finishing in a great time and 82nd place in a strong field

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mixed feelings from today. Firstly very happy to take 3 minutes off my previous time and reinforced how much I enjoy this race especially when the weather is as kind as today. No wind, Hastings felt very early summer like and the usual enthusiastic support always leaves a warm memory. However I think I’m similar to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and had forgotten how tough this was. In hindsight I went off too fast and gave too much energy in getting up the ridgeway. Really started to feel it by mile 10 and the finish couldn’t come soon enough. I usually finish a race thinking I could have gone quicker but not today. Nothing left on the course and not sure I got my strategy right in any way.
Good to see so many NSC regulars today and congratulations to @bignuts finishing in a great time and 82nd place in a strong field

I’ve just seen your time on Strava, which is damn good and especially so for such a tough course. Well done!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks. Tempted for 2020?

If it ties in with me being in town for a Brighton game it could work. It’s a lovely course. I obviously know you, but it would also be good to meet some of the other NSC runners as well.

Or failing that, maybe a post-match pint?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
. .

Great running team NSC :thumbsup:

If it ties in with me being in town for a Brighton game it could work. It’s a lovely course. I obviously know you, but it would also be good to meet some of the other NSC runners as well.

Or failing that, maybe a post-match pint?

If I manage to go under 4 hours this year I may not run Brighton Marathon next year but Hastings is on the "to do" list and doing it in a year when what happens three weeks later doesn't matter is very appealing. Oddly, instead of looking at people's Strava today and thinking "sod that" I was thinking how much of a decent challenge it looks. I'd prefer it as an NSC meet up half to Brighton, that's for sure. I've not re-entered Brighton Half but reckon next year is the time to pop my Hastings cherry.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great running team NSC :thumbsup:

If I manage to go under 4 hours this year I may not run Brighton Marathon next year but Hastings is on the "to do" list and doing it in a year when what happens three weeks later doesn't matter is very appealing. Oddly, instead of looking at people's Strava today and thinking "sod that" I was thinking how much of a decent challenge it looks. I'd prefer it as an NSC meet up half to Brighton, that's for sure. I've not re-entered Brighton Half but reckon next year is the time to pop my Hastings cherry.

The main benefit of a Hastings meet up rather than Brighton is that when we finish the pubs will be open.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do or die at Hastings ended up as the latter. Valiantly chasing [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] at my 10k pace up the 6 mile hill was only going to end one way. I was well Rogered! On for a planned 1:40 until mile 12 at over 9 and an 8:00 finish put me 3" off target and a good 6" behind the excellent harmonica. Thanks to Big Nuts for being my carer at the finish line with tea and water. I had a little spinny spell.
Really enjoyed the challenge if not the outcome. Further good news for the day is I will not be able to do the marathon as my amateur status has gone having won a spot prize on the finish line.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Has anyone else one anything in a race before?

hast.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here