Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tremendous lineup for the Somerset House gigs this summer. Just trying to decide which one to go to. I might do the Doves although the Good the Bad the Queen the following night appeals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tremendous lineup for the Somerset House gigs this summer. Just trying to decide which one to go to. I might do the Doves although the Good the Bad the Queen the following night appeals.

Doves. Now there’s a brilliant band I’d totally forgotten about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Massively underrated.

I totally agree. They really have an ear for a melody. The other thing I remember about them, is they were around in the era where most bands seemed to realease a great debut....then struggle... especially with the second album. They knocked out 4 brilliant albums on the spin.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I totally agree. They really have an ear for a melody. The other thing I remember about them, is they were around in the era where most bands seemed to realease a great debut....then struggle... especially with the second album. They knocked out 4 brilliant albums on the spin.

I love Doves.

The last time I saw them was on March 8th 2004 at The Dome.

I know this because it was my birthday, and when I got home I found out that one of my closest friends had died.

Every time I hear them I think of him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love Doves.

The last time I saw them was on March 8th 2004 at The Dome.

I know this because it was my birthday, and when I got home I found out that one of my closest friends had died.

Every time I hear them I think of him.

It's interesting how we associate some music with certain settings, events, etc.
My contribution is listening to one of my (now) favourite albums Everybody Knows that this is Nowhere by Neil Young, and reading The Grapes of Wrath.
Might make a good thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's interesting how we associate some music with certain settings, events, etc.
My contribution is listening to one of my (now) favourite albums Everybody Knows that this is Nowhere by Neil Young, and reading The Grapes of Wrath.
Might make a good thread.

My contribution is The Only One I Know by The Charlatans. I was a young backpacking student and it was my first time outside of Europe. Me and my friend met a couple of girls in a San Diego youth hostel and we all decided we’d get a car a drive across the US from coast to coast. The world seemed enormous to my wide-eye self at this point in my life and I can’t begin to explain how exciting this road journey felt. One of the girls put a cassette on as we drive off and it was this song. Whenever I hear this song, which is pretty rare these days, it takes me right back to San Diego and an excited young Tubthumper.

On this trip I was also smuggled over the border into the US but that’s another story.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Jenny Lewis @ The Komedia in July...

Will be the 3rd time seeing her, though after the 2 blinding venues before ( The Hanbury Ballroom and Koko ) I'm not holding up much hope that the Komedia will be any different than usual....eg loud chatting between couples throughout the performance :glare:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Sleeper doing an in-store at Resident Records yesterday evening, and they were great! It's like they'd never been away... Pokey little set-up for the four of them - didn't seem to be room for the drums so the drummer played acoustic guitar instead!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm playing at WSL in Shoreham, in a few weeks . . . . wsl3 copy small.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As mentioned in the Country music thread, me and the missus went along to The Haunt in Brighton on Sunday night to see Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters guitarist). First surprise was seeing him manning the merch table by himself selling t shirts etc. He signed stuff, posed for photos, and chatted quite happily with everyone. Dont think anyone was expecting that when they turned up - especially from a member of one of the biggest rock bands in the world. Really nice guy.

IMG_20190401_094358_777.jpg

Supporting him was Emily Faye - a young English artist whos just recorded an EP over in Nashville. Very good songs and an amazing voice.
Then the main event and we werent disappointed! Shiftys brand of country rock is superb and, while some may find it a bit samey, I loved it. My wife isnt a country fan at all, but even she said it was a brilliant gig. Hes an amazing guitarist & seemed genuinely humbled that 350+ had turned up & sold out the show. If anyone has a chance to catch him on the rest of his European tour I would thoroughly recommend it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hot Chip Friday were epic. Loved the set list and the Beastie Boy’s cover version of Sabotage.

One of the best gigs I’ve been to for years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had the pleasure of seeing The Comet is Coming on Monday. My word were they good. I was one row from the front and in front of King Shabaka, as he’s called in this outfit. They were seriously good. Shabaka is the star but nothing should be taken from the drummer nor especially the keyboard player. Plenty of styles in there as well from prog, drum and bass, Latin and straight techno beats....it’s a crazy mix.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I had the pleasure of seeing The Comet is Coming on Monday. My word were they good. I was one row from the front and in front of King Shabaka, as he’s called in this outfit. They were seriously good. Shabaka is the star but nothing should be taken from the drummer nor especially the keyboard player. Plenty of styles in there as well from prog, drum and bass, Latin and straight techno beats....it’s a crazy mix.

If you haven't seen Sons of Kemet, you should.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Went to see Slow Readers Club at The Haunt last night, absolutely superb. Possibly a low key gig for them but good to finally see them in Brighton. I hope their decision to go full time this year is vindicated. For any fans of Manchester indie nostalgia I highly recommend them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here