Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jahanbakhsh - best game to date?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Check out the eyes after he hits the bar ! spine tingling

giphy (51).gif

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My MOTM

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Thought he had his best game for us yesterday but that isn't saying much against a very poor Huddersfield side, that said very unlucky when hitting the bar.

Substituted on 78 minutes and within two minutes a move down the left between Izquierdo and Knockaert sees Andone head home, jury is still out on Jahanbakhsh.

Probably needs more game time, still gets a 7 though..:thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Great player. Still to see the best of him. I predict him scoring a goal against Millwall in the cup. Don’t think he’ll start against Palace.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Did absolutely zero until he hit the bar. Completely anonymous. Also lacked control and picked several poor passes. So I wasn't impressed.

But yes, it was his best game for us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought he was very decent yesterday and unlucky not to cap a good performance with a goal. Interesting hearing him interviewed on Talksport post match too - combination of injuries and Asia cup, in addition to having to get to grips with a new team, setup and league has meant he hasn’t really had the chance to click yet. Would like to see him get a decent run of starts

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I agree, but now we have raised the general quality of the squad with a number of £10m+ signings, is it time to spend the transfer budget on just 1 or 2 £30m marquee players who will bring the quality needed to push on to the next level? Or does our wage structure preclude us from ever buying at that level?

Re: wage structure. If we stay up this season we qualify for the full possible amount of relegation parachute payments. So given we're run sensibly next year will be the first we will be thinking about giving "big" contracts.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I agree, but now we have raised the general quality of the squad with a number of £10m+ signings, is it time to spend the transfer budget on just 1 or 2 £30m marquee players who will bring the quality needed to push on to the next level? Or does our wage structure preclude us from ever buying at that level?

Agree with this. Sign established PL players who know how to play it and not spend months attempting to get up to speed if they ever do

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree, but now we have raised the general quality of the squad with a number of £10m+ signings, is it time to spend the transfer budget on just 1 or 2 £30m marquee players who will bring the quality needed to push on to the next level?

Yes, it is. We've beefed up the squad, but without significantly improving the team; now we need to do just that, so no more cut-price punts on players from lesser European leagues please.

NEC-Nijmegen

Jun 5, 2015
Apart from hitting the bar I can’t recall anything much
he did very average

I only watched the second half, but noticed that his offensive posture had a great effect on the squad as it seemed to coincide with the team's forward push and more aggressive play. That was by far his greatest influence to yesterday's game imo, in addition to his straightforward play.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Definitely up there with propper as mom contender until taken off but I have a slightly different point to make.

Lots of comments on here and in media (aspinal etc.) about our ‘big money’ signings and whether they are good enough.

It seems to me that £15-20m in today’s market is not a marquee signing. For that you have to go £30m+ and even then it is a bargain if it works out well below £50m.

I know it sounds ridiculous and tbh it is. But that’s the market.

Our fan base appears to firmly believe that at £15-20m, our signings should be tearing up the league and that simply isn’t the case.

None have really set the world alight and yet, for me, Izzy, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia have all done ok in spells and imo are about right for the price tag (more so Izzy and Ali).

Agreed - the Neymar transfer doubled world prices overnight. 30m is the new 15m.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Settling into the prem, world cup, injury, Asian cup. All big factors to his season...... Not been easy to settle has it. Expect better next season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Can’t believe the amount of excuses Brighton fans offer up. No wonder everyone thinks we’re a soft touch. AJ has been an absolute flop and one decentish performance against the bottom side (by some margin) and all is forgiven. Reminds me of the clamour about Locadia before Xmas. ‘Cause he didn’t go back to being pony did he? Anyway, if AJ puts in 6 outstanding appearances between now and the end of the season including 3-4 goals then he might get a 6 or 7 / 10 for the entire season in my book. Otherwise he deserves no more than a 4/10, maybe 3/10 because he’s our record buy and frankly we should expect more than he’s delivered.

NEC-Nijmegen

Jun 5, 2015
Can’t believe the amount of excuses Brighton fans offer up. No wonder everyone thinks we’re a soft touch. AJ has been an absolute flop and one decentish performance against the bottom side (by some margin) and all is forgiven. Reminds me of the clamour about Locadia before Xmas. ‘Cause he didn’t go back to being pony did he? Anyway, if AJ puts in 6 outstanding appearances between now and the end of the season including 3-4 goals then he might get a 6 or 7 / 10 for the entire season in my book. Otherwise he deserves no more than a 4/10, maybe 3/10 because he’s our record buy and frankly we should expect more than he’s delivered.

Definitely agree with that.

Yet, characters like Jahanbakhsh often have difficulties to quickly adjust to a completely new environment and need these games to build up confidence. From this perspective, his performance against Huddersfield will serve as a mentality boost and reference for future games. When he just arrived at AZ he similarly needed time to settle, with his second season being far more productive than his first one.

The game against Huddersfield showed a quick glance of his potential, which is probably the reason why many are cheering his performance.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Definitely agree with that.

Yet, characters like Jahanbakhsh often have difficulties to quickly adjust to a completely new environment and need these games to build up confidence. From this perspective, his performance against Huddersfield will serve as a mentality boost and reference for future games. When he just arrived at AZ he similarly needed time to settle, with his second season being far more productive than his first one.

The game against Huddersfield showed a quick glance of his potential, which is probably the reason why many are cheering his performance.

Putting a side we all want our players to do well, it might therefore have been a mistake to sign him simply because we needed a player to perform immediately I.e. his second season might well be in the Champ and not sure that was the plan!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Re: wage structure. If we stay up this season we qualify for the full possible amount of relegation parachute payments. So given we're run sensibly next year will be the first we will be thinking about giving "big" contracts.

I thought parachute payments were standardised for any relegated team, regardless of time spent in the Premier league. My understanding is all relegated clubs receive a percentage of their final earnings in the Premier League in which they were relegated. These drop progressively over a three year period – 55% in the first year, 45% in year two and 20% in the final year.

So if were relegated and picked up £100m this season, we would also receive £55m next season guaranteed. If we were then promoted again next season, the following parachute payments of £45m and £20m would be divided between the Championship clubs.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here