Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BA flight catches fire in Vegas

I'm starting to wonder if those injured, the majority of which were while using the slides were hit by flying hand luggage.

Tossers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm starting to wonder if those injured, the majority of which were while using the slides were hit by flying hand luggage.

Tossers.

Quite.

No idea why the likes of BA and Easyjet seem to be actively encouraging hand luggage. Time was when the overhead compartment was meant for stuff you needed to maybe access DURING YOUR FLIGHT. Nowadays there's full-on suitcases on there. By all means make the flights cheap as chips, but it's not a bus, taking-the-piss suitcases should go in the hold and be properly paid for. IMHO, like.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quite.

No idea why the likes of BA and Easyjet seem to be actively encouraging hand luggage. Time was when the overhead compartment was meant for stuff you needed to maybe access DURING YOUR FLIGHT. Nowadays there's full-on suitcases on there. By all means make the flights cheap as chips, but it's not a bus, taking-the-piss suitcases should go in the hold and be properly paid for. IMHO, like.

Agreed. Warning, you might set off [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION]

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
edited hitony

you are soooooo right with this !

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Quite.

Whilst i agree with you, i think they encourage hand luggage on the short flights for a quick turn around time. I think Easyjet plan on being back in the air 30 minutes after they land.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Whilst i agree with you, i think they encourage hand luggage on the short flights for a quick turn around time. I think Easyjet plan on being back in the air 30 minutes after they land.

Some BA shorthaul trips have a 35 min turnaround time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No change there then :rolleyes:

He'll be agreeing. I can remember hand luggage being on one of those things that wind you up threads and he had an even bigger rant than I normally manage. At the time I though "how bad can it be?". Several business trips to Galway on Ryan Air and Aer Lingus proved that, yes, many stupid tossers are taking their entire wardrobes as hand luggage, that there's not enough room for all of it and that airlines actively encourage it. Madness.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
He'll be agreeing. I can remember hand luggage being on one of those things that wind you up threads and he had an even bigger rant than I normally manage. At the time I though "how bad can it be?". Several business trips to Galway on Ryan Air and Aer Lingus proved that, yes, many stupid tossers are taking their entire wardrobes as hand luggage, that there's not enough room for all of it and that airlines actively encourage it. Madness.

Airlines encourage it up to a point, but driven by fear of market share loss. They reap what they sow as the disinformation regarding pricing and tge make up of the cost of the ticket means the poorly informed customer has changed operational practices so much that aapects of the design of the aircraft are redundant.

Tipping point has been reached now, ba are finally enforcing rules and reassessing allowances. Very very busy people are going to have to get used to collecting bags again, rather than having their dirty pants close to them at all times, which is of course vital.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Edited at the request of the poster.....hitony

This.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Yep agree. Have to say that mixed fleet policy has pushed me onto AA to the US, and i cant see myself myself going back to BA. But i am sure they were thoroughly professional during this incident. Still loads of great crew flying with ba.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Lucky for me, only just got back from Vegas last week.. ( using Virgin Atlantic tho )

Poor people having to leave the airplane by walking on the runway, I thought only Ryan air done this service not B.A :)

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Something that has been looked at by aircraft designers is central locking on overhead lockers, this would be activated during take off and landing thus preventing passengers getting carry on baggage in the event of an evacuation.
Probably wont happen yet due to cost.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The coolness of the pilot with his mayday call is one of the reasons I choose BA whenever I have a choice.

100% agree.

The coolness of the mayday call is superb - it reminds me of the mayday call of the US pilot who ditched his plane in the Hudson, New York a few years ago. Awesome self- discipline and control.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Still more likely to die driving to the airport than you are flying in the plane you get from the airport. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here