Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dying Professions you should avoid

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
They won't be fixed, people will just buy new ones. I had a problem with my daughter's Chromebook, it cost so much to fix that I ended up buying another. That will permeate into the office culture too.

The ongoing move to cloud will remove another layer of support. Yes, there's still a need for someone to support the cloud servers but far fewer of them. And the growing rise in automation will mean even less human intervention.
Dont agree, it is a change of roles, not a reduction of roles. 20 years ago IT support fixed physical PCs and installed servers, then it moved to virtualised servers and laptops that got swapped out. Much time was spent configuring Standard OS builds and managing data centers. Now cloud servers and services, office 365, SASS etc but the emphasis is on security and network protection, centralized policies, analytics etc. All different skills blended with the old ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There’s so much of my job that’s changed since I started my career that we are constantly reinventing our role.

Basically, I’m just an Excel monkey now, though. :down:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dont agree, it is a change of roles, not a reduction of roles. 20 years ago IT support fixed physical PCs and installed servers, then it moved to virtualised servers and laptops that got swapped out. Much time was spent configuring Standard OS builds and managing data centers. Now cloud servers and services, office 365, SASS etc but the emphasis is on security and network protection, centralized policies, analytics etc. All different skills blended with the old ones.

Yes, that's what happening now but this is about the future. I've just started doing work for a company that's all about automating network security. It's all very early for this sort of thing but it will happen.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
When I changed roles in 1991 I was told that the technology I was working on would be gone by the middle of the 1990s. I am still working on it and teaching new people all about it.

Sometimes customers dont want to change. It is technically possible for an airliner to fly itself from Heathrow to Washington with no human intervention but would anyone go on it ?

I used to work in the aerospace industry 20+years ago and there was a joke going round then:
How many crew do you need to flu a plane?

answer: two, a man and a dog. The man to feed the dog, and the dog to stop the man touching the controls.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I was going to say Architects!

Who the hell wants to do 6 or 7 years studying for essentially a role that has devolved into a trade. You have to be passionate about it now, consider the debt you'd come out of training with, and the fact that you'll be behind the earnings of most building trades let along other professionals for many years thereafter until you perhaps reach more senior roles, which not everyone does. And you have to take all the shit and liability that comes with it.

Architects doing it for the love and passion and desire to win the best jobs has cost the profession dearly in terms of revenue over the years. You only have to compare average salaries across Engineers, Surveyors and Architects to see the disparity.

Hard to disagree.

Nearly 30 years after I was rejected for a place at Uni to study Architecture & went down the Technologist route, I am now a Director of an Architectural Practice working on some of the most prestigious residential developments in London.

So glad that I didn't rack up the debt, even if as an ambitious 18 year old, I was disappointed to have had my dream snatched from me.

Funny how things work out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nearly 30 years after I was rejected for a place at Uni to study Architecture & went down the Technologist route, I am now a Director of an Architectural Practice working on some of the most prestigious residential developments in London.

So glad that I didn't rack up the debt.

You may be glad how things worked out but you wouldn't have racked up any debt, tuition fees were introduced in 1998 not 30 years ago (and they only £1,000 a year then)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
If the Government's reported plans for immigrants to have to earn £30,000 just to enter the country are true, then anything needing low skilled labour is likely to die out incredibly quickly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was going to say Architects!

Who the hell wants to do 6 or 7 years studying for essentially a role that has devolved into a trade. You have to be passionate about it now, consider the debt you'd come out of training with, and the fact that you'll be behind the earnings of most building trades let along other professionals for many years thereafter until you perhaps reach more senior roles, which not everyone does. And you have to take all the shit and liability that comes with it.

Architects doing it for the love and passion and desire to win the best jobs has cost the profession dearly in terms of revenue over the years. You only have to compare average salaries across Engineers, Surveyors and Architects to see the disparity.

When you says it’s a trade, what do you mean? I’ve been working with an architect quite closely recently (in a private capacity), it’s been much fun, so I’m intrigued what you mean by this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the Government's reported plans for immigrants to have to earn £30,000 just to enter the country are true, then anything needing low skilled labour is likely to die out incredibly quickly.

Given the collapse of the pound, any European person on minimum wage will satisfy this :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They won't be fixed, people will just buy new ones. I had a problem with my daughter's Chromebook, it cost so much to fix that I ended up buying another. That will permeate into the office culture too.

The ongoing move to cloud will remove another layer of support. Yes, there's still a need for someone to support the cloud servers but far fewer of them. And the growing rise in automation will mean even less human intervention.

strongly disagree with that. firstly, apps functionality and configuration still needs to fixed, you just junk off your device because you cant connect to the wifi. secondly the support at best moves from office to third party, who do it badly, or to developers who do it haphazardly (because they focus on delivery then next project). your approach sadly is pervading IT and i see a trail of misconfigured/half working systems as a result.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
your approach sadly is pervading IT and i see a trail of misconfigured/half working systems as a result.

It's not my approach, I'm just stating on what I see happening when I talk to companies (both vendors and customers). There's definitely a move to cut back the numbers who deal with IT support

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Exactly right. We're moving more and more stuff into the Cloud - and our Tech Support team has just taken on a new member of staff! As you say the roles, jobs and skills change, but the demand for 'IT support' people is higher than it ever was. The problem is more for people who can't adapt. If you could only sell domestic coal, typewriters or rent out videos then yes, you're probably ****ed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not my approach, I'm just stating on what I see happening when I talk to companies (both vendors and customers). There's definitely a move to cut back the numbers who deal with IT support

Employers will doubtless be eyeing up cutting back the numbers who deal with IT support. They always have done. But at the same time they want their issue fixed right here right now, and not by somebody in a different timezone reading off a script.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you are of course correct about that. trouble is there isnt a magic tech-fairy fixing things, it just breaks and no one bothers until its big enough issue for managment to shout about it (im pretty fed up with it as you might tell)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When you says it’s a trade, what do you mean? I’ve been working with an architect quite closely recently (in a private capacity), it’s been much fun, so I’m intrigued what you mean by this.

Generally by the way Architects are valued within the industry. In no way disparaging to architects themselves, we are still ****ing brilliant to be fair. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here