Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Would Have Thought It?

el punal

That at the beginning of August we would be in the relegation zone with just 3 league wins in 20 games.

How can a team, who finished the previous two seasons in the play-offs, implode so badly. Even more galling we were seen by opposition clubs as one of the hardest sides to beat - a benchmark for THEIR performance. Review any away club fans forum and any result achieved against us was seen as a feather in their cap.

The table doesn't lie, as the old cliche goes, I understand that. But really, and forgive my arrogance, there are a number of sides in this division who five months ago you would have put you mortgage on to beat.

Think about it, we were the only side to lose at cash strapped Birmingham in 16 games, struggled and could have lost at home to Rotherham, threw in the towel against Middlesbrough (and many other games). The list goes on.

So here I am, along with countless other loyal Albion fans, tucking into a huge portion of humble pie whilst trying to explain to non-Albion football fans where it's all gone wrong.

Oh the humility and embarrassment of it all.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
whilst trying to explain to non-Albion football fans where it's all gone wrong.

That's the hardest part for me.

There are a couple of things easily pointed out: departures of key players like Ulloa/PiG and, to a lesser extent given their form/desire, Buckley and Bridcutt. Not to mention Upson, Barnes, Orlandi, Ward. From there you have the lack of quality we brought in to replace them: Baldock/COG/Stockdale.

Add in a manager who thought it best to play a system clearly not suited to us for the first few crucial games of the season leading to some morale dropping defeats.

It was a recipe for disaster and we're definitely tasting that pie now.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
That at the beginning of August we would be in the relegation zone with just 3 league wins in 20 games.

How can a team, who finished the previous two seasons in the play-offs, implode so badly. Even more galling we were seen by opposition clubs as one of the hardest sides to beat - a benchmark for THEIR performance. Review any away club fans forum and any result achieved against us was seen as a feather in their cap.

The table doesn't lie, as the old cliche goes, I understand that. But really, and forgive my arrogance, there are a number of sides in this division who five months ago you would have put you mortgage on to beat.

Think about it, we were the only side to lose at cash strapped Birmingham in 16 games, struggled and could have lost at home to Rotherham, threw in the towel against Middlesbrough (and many other games). The list goes on.

So here I am, along with countless other loyal Albion fans, tucking into a huge portion of humble pie whilst trying to explain to non-Albion football fans where it's all gone wrong.

The summers transfer activity was a shambles we wasted money on lightweight no hopers

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm hoping today is the day Hyypia is going to be sacked. We are wasting valuable points and time with him being here. He isn't going to turn it around. He has failed at two jobs which is all you need to know. Come on Bloom get rid today and make our xmas come early.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
How can a team, who finished the previous two seasons in the play-offs, implode so badly.

It's not same team. Greer and Bruno are the only two regulars from both those seasons who are still in the team, and they're not getting any younger. Ince played quite a bit last season but is now in and out if the side, Lua Lua was always involved but never a regular starter. Dunk and Calderon were backup players. Is there anyone else left? (Not counting cms as he's out on loan)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
8:47 am on December 8th and still Hyypia is in charge.

Unbelievable.

And still he clings on.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What worries, no, terrifies me, is that I've heard Bloom, Barber and Hyypia repeat the mantra that we are "competitive", that we've "not been outplayed" in many matches, and that "we didn't get what we deserved"... 1 win in 16. It's all very well being all of the above, and we may well do that all season, but the simple fact is that we aren't winning any games.

I've been pro-Hyypia for a long while, but it seems clear now that he doesn't know how to get the best out of his players or even know his best line-up. It's game-over, move on for Hyypia now for me. I can't remember feeling like this about the Albion since Adams Mk II. Loads of loanees, a manager out of his depth, no spirit in the squad, and a gentle slide down the table...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

We sold the family silver and replaced it with tin the. We realised the tin was shite and replaced it with temporary tat. All overseen by a management team that thought an unproven manager was a good idea. I hope TB acts this week and gets in a decent football manager pullis would be my number 1 target. Sacks Burke and allows the manager full control over recruitment within the affordable budget. It's not too late to salvage the season but change is now required

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It's a sad state of affairs when I am checking in on NSC just to see if there is any word of a sacking.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I remember when people used to complain about our football under Poyet.....and our biggest "problem" was that we couldn't win from behind.

If those people were upset THEN they must be in ANGUISH now :lolol:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I said back in august that after we sold our best players and we're recruiting players of lesser quality that we would be in a relegation struggle , add to that a novice manager who is not up to the job you have a recipe for failure

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Overlong

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How can a team, who finished the previous two seasons in the play-offs, implode so badly.

Generous use of the word team. Only Dunk played at Derby in the playoffs and on Saturday. What it is now is a bunch of anonymous loaned nobodies with no backbone or spine individually or collectively and with individuals played apparently at random and then somewhere different on the pitch every week. It's not hard to work out why we are so shit.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
'The way that Hyypia's side were brushed aside in this match was inexcusable.'

(The Sunday Times on the Derby match)

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
'The way that Hyypia's side were brushed aside in this match was inexcusable.'

(The Sunday Times on the Derby match)

Yes, I read that yesterday and winced, because I knew that it was so true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here