Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exciting stuff. I bet he gets moved to right back for us. From what i've seen, he looks like he has all the requirements to play fullback. He would definitely be an improvement on Montoya and can certainly defend better.

I thought that GP had said he wants an experienced right back in to put pressure on Montoya who I would suggest will be the No 1. If it was a makeshift right back we wanted we would stick with Balogun.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How would that sweaten a deal? Theres no money being made there.

And reading the article linked we did this preseason last year once already so hardly sweetening the deal unless the training match last year was part of some long term plan to get Clarke!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just spoke to a Pompey fan. They love him, much like we love Dunk. He regularly goes on mazey runs and rarely gives the ball away. That's good enough for me. Sounds like another Dunk in the making. Hopefully we will just get it done now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When I come to power, all friendlies will be played behind closed doors. Waste of time and money for everyone.

I vote for you on that. Every year after going to one I vow to never return. And then I do, and then vow to not go again, and repeat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I vote for you on that. Every year after going to one I vow to never return. And then I do, and then vow to not go again, and repeat.

At least there'd be a chance of cutting out the piss-soaked threads on here all grizzling about how utterly shit our new £18m winger looked against the chubby Bognor left back.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Do you think he will (if signed) be included in the first team squad as only 22 years of age, or spend a season in the U23's?

If he is to be included in the full first team squad, will this signing be seen as a way of increasing our 'Uk based developed players' numbers up?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Wouldn't bet on it if I were you, as he's left-footed.

Not sure that matters. Azpilicueta is right footed but equally adept at playing left back, right back and centre back.

However, Matt Clarke aint Cesar Azpilicueta.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you think he will (if signed) be included in the first team squad as only 22 years of age, or spend a season in the U23's?

If he is to be included in the full first team squad, will this signing be seen as a way of increasing our 'Uk based developed players' numbers up?

Much as it would be utterly hilarious to whisk away Third Divison Pompey's best player for an absolute steal, and then stick him in the stiffs just to upset them, it's not going to happen. He's being brought in with a view to challenging for first team football.

TDP fans love him. I've seen them on Twitter asking betting companies for odds on him playing for England. I inadvertently sat next to a TDP fan at the England women's game and he raved about his ball playing skills. Says he loves to rampage forward with the ball and play others in. I hope we rob them blind for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Which centre back is leaving then? If this guy is the replacement for Balogun then great, but surely if Duffy or Dunk leaves we will bring a centre back with more experience playing at a higher level?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
At least there'd be a chance of cutting out the piss-soaked threads on here all grizzling about how utterly shit our new £18m winger looked against the chubby Bognor left back.

I'd check out 'the chubby Bognor' on UrbanDictionary.com, but I'm afraid of what I might find.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I have wondered as to whether Clarke IS the replacement for Dunk, but in a long-game sort of way. Looks very good, so we buy him, see if he can keep up with Dunk and if he's PL standard, if he can then we sell Dunk in a season or 2's time, and then bang, we already have a ready-made and proven replacement to come straight in that we've only spend 3 million on, leaving massive financial profit. If he's not up to filling Dunk' boots then we sell, likely for a profit, buy a another pricier replacement for Dunk, but still make money either way

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
In press articles it mentioned Balogun may want to leave purely because of a lack of playing time.
Suggest this move for Clarke is a hint.
Liked the look of Burn in the Cup games especially WBA when he was superb.
With our talent at Centre Back and our lack of full backs we must get them on the pitch and play 3 at back.
Bernardo can play further up on the left which will cover Izquiardo's absence for the majority of the season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In press articles it mentioned Balogun may want to leave purely because of a lack of playing time.
Suggest this move for Clarke is a hint.
Liked the look of Burn in the Cup games especially WBA when he was superb.
With our talent at Centre Back and our lack of full backs we must get them on the pitch and play 3 at back.
Bernardo can play further up on the left which will cover Izquiardo's absence for the majority of the season.

It’s not a bad shout at all - but I’d imagine we’d have a number of formations in our locker and wouldn’t say we ‘must’ play it. I’d rather we signed another / 2 other full backs and another winger...

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Much as it would be utterly hilarious to whisk away Third Divison Pompey's best player for an absolute steal, and then stick him in the stiffs just to upset them, it's not going to happen. He's being brought in with a view to challenging for first team football.

TDP fans love him. I've seen them on Twitter asking betting companies for odds on him playing for England. I inadvertently sat next to a TDP fan at the England women's game and he raved about his ball playing skills. Says he loves to rampage forward with the ball and play others in. I hope we rob them blind for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad you explained that when the guy was talking about his ball skills he was not flirting with you.... or maybe he was 'Rampaging Forward 'may be some sort of new euphemism..??????

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Probably already been mentioned but can't be assed to read the whole thread.... but last season with Swansea Potter did sometimes play with 3 at the back so presumably we'd need 4 centre backs in the match day squad sometimes.

We've got Dunk, Duffy, Balogun, Burn, White and perhaps Bernardo which would only leave one-two CBs as cover which is the bare minimum I'd say and presuming White steps into the first team picture. I'd imagine if Balogun wants more first football elsewhere Clarke is a replacement for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here