Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rumour Jayden Bogle

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally disagree. This club needs to be built on sustainable growth, not piss the money up the wall and hope it works. I'm impressed with the way Dick and Tony have been building a club out of the ashes of what Belotti and Archer did to us. I do not want to go that way again. If it means we can't pay the wages of overpaid footballers, then so be it. I'd be far happier supporting a club making profit every year (like Arsenal), playing impressive football (like Arsenal), but not winning any trophies (like Arsenal) and still remaining in the Prem. Tony has a vision and I'm along for the ride.

Take a quick look at the obscene amount of money Neymar will be receiving at Real - just wow. Football just cannot be THAT sustainable.

Are Watford, Leicester, Stains in financial trouble or taking a risky financial path? No.

Love or hate it, market forces will prevail. If the Albion alone act by refusing to pay the going rate, sooner rather than later, we’ll drop a division simply due to inferior players. Very nicely delivering TB an annual Profit & Loss Account that will look like this once parachute payments dry up:

Income £30m
Costs (£60m)
Loss (£30m)

That’s generally referred to as unsustainable. That’s not Tony’s vision, hence £110m already spent on PL player transfers, with more to come this summer.

We don’t need to pay the silly money CP and West Ham are paying of up to £120k/£140k a week, but we will have to up the wages ceiling to attract the quality almost everyone else will be buying.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I was responding to the earlier quote about buying "first team, proven players" for £60m and to blow the ceiling on wages. Not only is that a gamble as a first team, proven player at one club may well not be the same at another, but it also changes the mentality around the wage structure. We're not a bloody top 6 team, and I really wish our fans would stop thinking of us like that.

Totally agree.
The sense of entitlement on here lately is mind-blowing.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I wonder if there is a correlation with those who believe we should be higher in the league and competing with the big boys, and those who are relatively new to supporting Brighton.

We've just "celebrated" that it was 20 years ago this year that we very nearly went out of the league. Either some of our supporters have incredibly short term memories, or they weren't there when it very nearly happened.

I was, and I really don't want us ever to be on the slippery slope of that again. I'd rather be a sustainable Premier/Championship club making a profit every year, than a club who spends big to achieve something one year, and then plummet like a stone the next, like Leeds, Plymouth, Blackburn amongst others.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if there is a correlation with those who believe we should be higher in the league and competing with the big boys, and those who are relatively new to supporting Brighton.

We've just "celebrated" that it was 20 years ago this year that we very nearly went out of the league. Either some of our supporters have incredibly short term memories, or they weren't there when it very nearly happened.

I was, and I really don't want us ever to be on the slippery slope of that again. I'd rather be a sustainable Premier/Championship club making a profit every year, than a club who spends big to achieve something one year, and then plummet like a stone the next, like Leeds, Plymouth, Blackburn amongst others.

Championship not sustainable tho, is it?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Championship not sustainable tho, is it?

Course it is, as long as the business model is there to support it - and Bloom is heading us in that direction. When Archer and Belotti sold The Goldstone, that's all we had, and look how it impacted us.

Clubs make a profit in the Championship, admittedly not as many as do in the Prem, but it's still possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46511940

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Course it is, as long as the business model is there to support it - and Bloom is heading us in that direction. When Archer and Belotti sold The Goldstone, that's all we had, and look how it impacted us.

Clubs make a profit in the Championship, admittedly not as many as do in the Prem, but it's still possible.

I had to stop reading that after the third graph as it suddenly became impossibly dull.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

We've just "celebrated" that it was 20 years ago this year that we very nearly went out of the league. Either some of our supporters have incredibly short term memories, or they weren't there when it very nearly happened..

Eh?

20 years ago this year was actually a very positive, on the way back up year for the Albion. We'd just finished playing in Gillingham, finished mid table (unlike the previous 3 seasons) and were gearing up for our return back to Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

No.

I’ve been supporting the Albion since 1976 and believe that we need to up the ante on wages simply to attract some better players in key positions, to give us a chance of making mid table, whilst playing far more attractive football.

I don’t care if we never make the top 7, I suspect that we won’t, I have no interest in the Europa League. Ending up like Watford and Bmuff, but with our superior stadium, will be fine by me.

p.s. I watched Albion matches at Withdean.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Brighton and Hove Albion have a Championship cost base of £60m. That’s a fact from their published accounts. Championship clubs without parachute income simply don’t generate anywhere near that sum in income. Despite the best efforts of TB and PB ... just £29m was the best we could manage.

Simply unsustainable and unfair on TB to keep subsidising the huge annual difference.

It has to be the PL, and staying there.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Brighton and Hove Albion have a Championship cost base of £60m. That’s a fact from their published accounts. Championship clubs without parachute income simply don’t generate anywhere near that sum in income. Despite the best efforts of TB and PB ... just £29m was the best we could manage.

Simply unsustainable and unfair on TB to keep subsidising the huge annual difference.

This. TB sacked CH precisely because he genuinely believed CH was taking us in the wrong direction. TB wants more than a constant relegation struggle. TB wants a PL team safely sustaining PL status. Of course it’s a gamble, but we have a better chance of mid-table stability now under GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No.

I’ve been supporting the Albion since 1976 and believe that we need to up the ante on wages simply to attract some better players in key positions, to give us a chance of making mid table, whilst playing far more attractive football.

I don’t care if we never make the top 7, I suspect that we won’t, I have no interest in the Europa League. Ending up like Watford and Bmuff, but with our superior stadium, will be fine by me.

p.s. I watched Albion matches at Withdean.

But its high wages that put a strain on clubs, we currently have that under control and with our history I am glad we do.

High wages are not necessary if you recruit wisely, find the next stars first, before they demand £100k a week.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

We're gonna have to agree to disagree :)

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
Alan Nixon says we want him and will offer Christian Walton as part of the deal, Burnley are out of the chase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here