Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet to Swansea City is the word, how good is he?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Leon Knight at Swansea: played: 25 scored 19 and they still got rid. That man was a menace to himself.

It's a real shame that people like him are gifted a talent at birth and waste it. I know most footballers aren't the most intelligent type on this planet but what a waste to give him something we can only dream of.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Swansea are so short of money the only reason they're looking at him apparently is because that way they don't have to get new tracksuits, etc. They can still use last season's ones with the GP initials.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
At the end of the day, the guy is a bit of a s**t but he's one of our greatest managers ever (best in my lifetime imo). His career has been a bit weird post-Sunderland but I don't doubt he'd be a superb appointment for a Championship club, money or not.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swansea are so short of money the only reason they're looking at him apparently is because that way they don't have to get new tracksuits, etc. They can still use last season's ones with the GP initials.

You know your club is ****ed when you read this and start thinking instead of laughing..

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
To be fair, if it wasn't for Gus' "issues" then he probably would be better than Hughton. He probably would have taken us to the Premier League.

His ability is why he continually lands decent jobs, but his "issues" are why he ultimately gets sacked at every one on them.

There might be a lucky club that catches him at the right time in his life where he has calmed down or finally learned from his mistakes... but I doubt it, it's in his nature.
And if my auntie had balls she’d be my uncle!

CH 10x the manager (and man) than Gus

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair, if it wasn't for Gus' "issues" then he probably would be better than Hughton. He probably would have taken us to the Premier League.

His ability is why he continually lands decent jobs, but his "issues" are why he ultimately gets sacked at every one on them.

There might be a lucky club that catches him at the right time in his life where he has calmed down or finally learned from his mistakes... but I doubt it, it's in his nature.

The issues are part of the flawed package. Unless he grows up, he’ll always be a job hopper.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Poyet started off well for us. His style is very effective against slower paced teams like the ones we destroyed in the 3rd tier. Under Poyet in league one, we dominated everyone with non-stop possession. We were able to make the opposition constantly chase a ball they never had a chance of catching. We really did dominate. But we did have Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes upfront in the 3rd tier, so it wasn't as if Poyet performed miracles with a bunch of nobodies. In total 7 of that team ended up having stints playing in the Prem for other teams. We also had Dunk just coming through. Times were good for us. With hindsight, you could argue Poyet got lucky having a team of players playing way below their deserved standard.

The Championship proved different. Poyet's massive ego got rid of Murray and replaced him with Ronan Keating. We were a different team without Murray. We looked clueless upfront whilst our best striker (Ashley Barnes) took all the blame. The big problem was Poyet's style against stronger, faster teams comes with a lot of risks, and thats where he couldn't take us up a level once we were in the 2nd tier. Teams would close our defence down quickly looking for the early goal knowing if they go one goal up, they're most probably going to win. This was because our defence would pass back and forth to each other, sharing around 42,000 passes a half, even when we were in desperate need of getting a goal.
Poyet's style became too predictable and not very successful whenever the chips were down.

Poyet did get us to the Championship Playoffs when we faced Palace, but that game really epitomised everything wrong about Poyet's managerial ability. We were losing, our whole season was resting on this game and yet the team just passed it around, playing no differently to how you would when you're winning a game in just keeping hold of the ball until the final whistle came. It was the most frustrating performance I've ever witnessed watching The albion. Poyet's predictable, backwards passing style was the big loss in that game. It was utterly shite

So after that dreadful, humiliating performance, Poyet then goes onto the pitch to to tell the camera that this is as good as it gets. What's worse is this wasn't anything unusual for us albion fans. He'd already gone pretty much awol earlier that season when it looked like he'd joined Reading just as we were nearing the final hurdle whilst looking strong in a playoff position. Then came the threats of leaving for a bigger club, bragging how he can just go and play golf instead of caring about certain albion matters, and then finally the TV sulk he pulled off straight after the Palace playoff loss.
Eventually/Obviously he gets sacked. The next we see of Poyet is him on a football show where they bring up the topic of his sacking. No surprise, Poyet, being the massive belled he is, pretends to look shocked, claiming it was the first he'd heard of it? What a knob.

So not only can Poyet's style be very dull and easy to suss out for fast paced opposition, he's also every chairmans nightmare.

It most probably won't go well.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Poyet started off well for us. His style is very effective against slower paced teams like the ones we destroyed in league one. Under Poyet in league one, we dominated everyone with non-stop possession. We were able to make the opposition constantly chase a ball they never had a chance of catching. We really did dominate. We had Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes upfront in the 3rd tier so it wasn't as if Poyet performed miracles with a low standard of player. In total 7 of that team ended up having stints playing in the Prem for other teams. We also had Dunk just coming through. Times were good for us. With hindsight, you could argue Poyet got lucky having a team of players playing way below their deserved standard.

The Championship proved different. Poyet's massive ego got rid of Murray and replaced him with Ronan Keating. We were a different team without Murray. We looked clueless upfront whilst our best striker (Ashley Barnes) took all the blame. The big problem was Poyet's style against stronger, faster teams comes with a lot of risks, and thats where he couldn't take us up a level once we were in the 2nd tier. Teams would close our defence down quickly, looking for the early goal knowing if they go one goal up, they're most probably going to win. This was because our defence would pass it around to each other, sharing around 42,000 passes a half even when we were in desperate need of getting a goal. His style became too predictable and not very successful whenever the chips were down.

Poyet did get us to the Championship Playoffs when we faced Palace, but that game really epitomised everything wrong about Poyet's managerial ability. We were losing, our whole season was resting on this game and yet the team just passed it around, playing no differently to how you would when you're winning a game in just keeping hold of the ball until the final whistle came. It was the most frustrating performance I've ever witnessed watching The albion. Poyet's predictable, backwards passing style was the big loss in that game. It was utterly shite

So after that dreadful, humiliating performance, Poyet then goes onto the pitch to speak to tell the camera this is as good as it gets. What's worse is, this wasn't really a shock for us albion fans. He'd already gone pretty much awol earlier that season when it looked like he'd joined Reading just as we were nearing the final hurdle whilst looking strong in a playoff position. Then came the threats of leaving for a bigger club, bragging how he can just go and play golf instead of caring about certain albion matters and then the bullshit he pulled off straight after the Palace playoff loss.
Eventually/Obviously he gets sacked. The next we see of Poyet is him on a football show where they bring up the topic. No surprise, Poyet, being the massive belled he is, pretends to look shocked, claiming it was the first he'd heard of it? What a knob.

So not only is his style easy to suss out for fast paced opposition, he's also every chairmans nightmare. It most probably won't go well.

Great post. Sums it up perfectly for me.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Offer a two year deal with the possibility of a third depending on results and league position.
I would then do a year by year contract to keep him on his toes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great manager provided he is allowed to run the whole playing side of the club which for a while he did very well.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Hmmmm how many jobs has he had since us?

*I just checked and it's 5. If he does manage Swansea one thing is for sure, it won't last long.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You know your club is ****ed when you read this and start thinking instead of laughing..

In seriousness he could be great for you. As others have said the football in the League One promotion season was quite simply THE best football I have ever seen from a Brighton side, and of course we didn't do too badly in the Championship with him either.

Then, as it so often does in football, (us with CH being a great example), it all went to pot. If he's learnt some lessons in the jobs he's had since us he could still do a good job for you. Apart from that my only other concern would be whether he has evolved. He was definitely ahead of his time tactics-wise when he was with us (and he was streets ahead of some of the long-ball, 4-4-2 merchants in League One), but the game has moved on since then. I haven't followed his career closely enough to know whether he's learnt some new tricks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Poyet started off well for us. His style is very effective against slower paced teams like the ones we destroyed in the 3rd tier. Under Poyet in league one, we dominated everyone with non-stop possession. We were able to make the opposition constantly chase a ball they never had a chance of catching. We really did dominate. But we did have Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes upfront in the 3rd tier, so it wasn't as if Poyet performed miracles with a bunch of nobodies. In total 7 of that team ended up having stints playing in the Prem for other teams. We also had Dunk just coming through. Times were good for us. With hindsight, you could argue Poyet got lucky having a team of players playing way below their deserved standard.

The Championship proved different. Poyet's massive ego got rid of Murray and replaced him with Ronan Keating. We were a different team without Murray. We looked clueless upfront whilst our best striker (Ashley Barnes) took all the blame. The big problem was Poyet's style against stronger, faster teams comes with a lot of risks, and thats where he couldn't take us up a level once we were in the 2nd tier. Teams would close our defence down quickly looking for the early goal knowing if they go one goal up, they're most probably going to win. This was because our defence would pass back and forth to each other, sharing around 42,000 passes a half, even when we were in desperate need of getting a goal.
Poyet's style became too predictable and not very successful whenever the chips were down.

So after that dreadful, humiliating performance, Poyet then goes onto the pitch to to tell the camera that this is as good as it gets. What's worse is this wasn't anything unusual for us albion fans. He'd already gone pretty much awol earlier that season when it looked like he'd joined Reading just as we were nearing the final hurdle whilst looking strong in a playoff position. Then came the threats of leaving for a bigger club, bragging how he can just go and play golf instead of caring about certain albion matters, and then finally the TV sulk he pulled off straight after the Palace playoff loss.
Eventually/Obviously he gets sacked. The next we see of Poyet is him on a football show where they bring up the topic of his sacking. No surprise, Poyet, being the massive belled he is, pretends to look shocked, claiming it was the first he'd heard of it? What a knob.

So not only can Poyet's style be very dull and easy to suss out for fast paced opposition, he's also every chairmans nightmare.

It most probably won't go well.

You missed out West Ham away. Got to be the worst team selection followed by execution of a managers tactics I've ever witnessed.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
Well you won't be known as Swasea City any more, it will be Gus Poyets club swansea. His Egoo is bigger than any club he manages !!!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
League one he was outstanding in the championship on reflection he was decent but (Sami aside) we have seen other managers come in and do a comparable (Garcia) and superior (Hughton) role.

Certainly fits with Swansea’s ethos of passing football but his upward management was a nightmare and as other have said you always feel it’s more about how he can better himself than the club or team.

I get the impression Swansea want something sustainable built from the ground up and some longevity which would make Gus unsuitable I feel.

That and the trajectory of his managerial career since he left versus that of the club suggests it was his own ceiling he had hit in 2013

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here