Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Never mind what Potter did at Swansea, he must have performed miracles in Sweden given Östersunds FK's Europa League results.
Especially if his squad was predominately Swedish. Sweden's current Centre Forward can't even get into the Brighton team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Gyökeres

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Genius! [emoji23] Possibly missing one syllable in the last line but a minor quibble.

I thought you would have exhausted your 90’s pop collection by now but apparently not! [emoji23]

Let's bring ourselves bang up to date with Nelly's 2002 smash hit It's Getting Hot in Here.

It's Graham Potter here
So take off all your clothes
I am getting so hot
I will take my clothes off

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear to be very much an Ashworth choice but just hope it is not viewed as a good choice if we get relegated to get us back up. I would hope it is designed to avoid the drop in the first place. The one good things it is positive action which will enable him to watch all last season games on video to form a view on the retained list and the possible replacements required.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Never mind what Potter did at Swansea, he must have performed miracles in Sweden given Östersunds FK's Europa League results.
Especially if his squad was predominately Swedish. Sweden's current Centre Forward can't even get into the Brighton team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Gyökeres

He made one appearance for the senior side during a run of friendlies against other Scandinavian teams where they all used either young players or players from thier domestic leagues who otherwise wouldn't play for the national side.

But yes, he build that side up including using a few non-league English players. Whilst the Allsvenskan isn't the highest quality he still did a fantastic job - there is quite a big economic gap between the Stockholm sides, Malmo and the rest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wonder how many on here who are writing Potter off as "untried at this level" and "not experienced enough" are the same people who wanted Tim Sherwood (or Glenn Hoddle) as manager when we got Chris?

Of course it would be a gamble but then every managerial appointment is. However experienced a manager is or however successful they have been before, it's still a gamble. Ask Man United.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He over achieved in his first job. Amazing work there.

He has over achieved in the last season considering the overhaul of that Swansea team. I think people have in their minds that Swansea were in the Championship with their prem squad. 90% went, including the entire spine of the team. He has used youth players this season and done brilliantly.

For those who don't want him, where would he have to come from to be seen as acceptable? I always find the logic of 'needing prem experience' to be a weird one. Nuno at wolves? No experience, did well. Mark Hughes? Loads of experience, rubbish.

If you have strong ideas and have the players to do it, why does it matter if you've done it before? Did Ranieri (a prem WINNER) improve Fulham?

D

Deleted member 22389

It would appear to be very much an Ashworth choice but just hope it is not viewed as a good choice if we get relegated to get us back up. I would hope it is designed to avoid the drop in the first place. The one good things it is positive action which will enable him to watch all last season games on video to form a view on the retained list and the possible replacements required.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

If that was the case we would of kept Hughton: why would they employ some one on the basis of going down a whole year before that would be possible? Some of the pessimism on here is strange. We have just gone through a streak of over 20 games celebrating a shot, not even on target, and we have derisively got rid of the problem and are now in a strong position to move forward afresh.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Feel the same.
Surely there are better options.

Would this appointment really be a step forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The're known as projects now aren't they, and I presume they didn't feel CH style was the future or the identity of our club.

Just spit balling here, but I'm guessing that TB along with DA have a vision of how the club wants to progress in the top flight, inc how we play and the ongoing recruitment to support that.

I'd guess all teams from the first 11 to the youth teams will all be playing the same way eventually like they do at clubs like Barca and Ajax etc, and they want a young forward thining manager at the helm of that .

It would appear that Potter is their man.

I doubt TB or DA wanted to spend another £60 mill on players just to have them camped on the 18 yard line all season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He over achieved in his first job. Amazing work there.

He has over achieved in the last season considering the overhaul of that Swansea team. I think people have in their minds that Swansea were in the Championship with their prem squad. 90% went, including the entire spine of the team. He has used youth players this season and done brilliantly.

For those who don't want him, where would he have to come from to be seen as acceptable? I always find the logic of 'needing prem experience' to be a weird one. Nuno at wolves? No experience, did well. Mark Hughes? Loads of experience, rubbish.

If you have strong ideas and have the players to do it, why does it matter if you've done it before? Did Ranieri (a prem WINNER) improve Fulham?

Think its more the experience of not just the playing side but everything. So many factors.

Premier league isn't the place to cut your teeth in management IMHO

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I wonder how many on here who are writing Potter off as "untried at this level" and "not experienced enough" are the same people who wanted Tim Sherwood (or Glenn Hoddle) as manager when we got Chris?

Of course it would be a gamble but then every managerial appointment is. However experienced a manager is or however successful they have been before, it's still a gamble. Ask Man United.

Not me.
Thought Sherwood would be shit. Knew Hoddle would be shit. Suspect Potter will be gone by December.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think its more the experience of not just the playing side but everything. So many factors.

Quite. Look at the CV of Ralph Hasenhüttl before he arrived at Southampton, hardly a fresh manager considering his Bundesliga experience with different clubs.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think we should be looking to recruit a Bundesliga manager, however, I have not pumped millions into this club and also I would hope many at the club have better expertise on football than me

We can't order Bundesliga managers off Amazon.

We will not get a top CV at Brighton. They go to bigger clubs. Like in the transfer market, we get what is left.

That's why I think it is often better to take a gamble on fresh talent. There are lots to pick from and if you get it right the possibilities are endless.

Every successful manager has to start somewhere.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

He's been a manager for 9 years & had to deal with a Swansea board who are slowly stripping the club of it's assets. I'd say he has experienced quite a bit & ready for the next level.

Hell of a gamble i agree but could be very exciting.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

He's got 8 years as a manager under his belt so hardly cutting his teeth. I'm not sure any league is the place to 'cut your teeth,' just ask Paul Scholes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here