Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Portslade on Film 4 tonight

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did a paper round on Mill Lane and Foredown Drive 1995-1997.

Me and [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] lived in Foredown drive, early mid 60s to (in my case) 1979, but my little bro still lives nearby (Millcross road). :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Ah. Do you remember Bernard Nye?

You're 11 years younger than me....so you'' probably not remember coal smoke billowing from house chimneys in winter :cheers:

The name doesn’t ring a bell. I vaguely remember when the lights went out a lot in the early 70s. So you were Foredown Drive, do you remember the Fell family?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The name doesn’t ring a bell. I vaguely remember when the lights went out a lot in the early 70s. So you were Foredown Drive, do you remember the Fell family?

Fell? No. I remember Gerry Fell, of course.....

The Williams and Francis families lived near me and Swindon; Lyons opposite....Parsons at the top in the bigger house...and on Millcross we had the Willows lads....

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Portslade in its glory days

View attachment 104141

Where's that

My grandparents (and my mum for a while) lived at Number 12, then moved to Number 8 - which I think is the far one of the nearest semis. Both my grandparents died from there. I used to walk up Mile Oak Road, spend time gardening for them, cleaning the car, and so on on a Saturday morning, to be paid a few pounds - just enough to then get the bus to the Goldstone, get in for 50p, and bus back to Southwick.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My grandparents (and my mum for a while) lived at Number 12, then moved to Number 8 - which I think is the far one of the nearest semis. Both my grandparents died from there. I used to walk up Mile Oak Road, spend time gardening for them, cleaning the car, and so on on a Saturday morning, to be paid a few pounds - just enough to then get the bus to the Goldstone, get in for 50p, and bus back to Southwick.

Correct, as the pedestrian is walking in front of #18

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So just how like late 70s Boston did Portslade look? Is it just the exterior of a warehouse or something? Doing an image search for the film just shows interior shots.

I have just finished watching the film. I have to say that without the promise of Portslade I would have given up as I found the film boring, tedious and ridiculous. And at the end of the film I was still none the wiser as to whether Portslade was actually shown in the film or not. 99% of the film takes place inside a warehouse, which was the old Argus printing shop, and the outside shots could have been anywhere given they were poorly lit.
In the credits Shoreham Port is mentioned, so I can only assume that the exterior filming was there, but given that only a very small part of the Port is actually in Portslade I'm not sure that it was featured.

What a waste of 90 minutes or so.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whereabouts in Foredown Drive? We were at 21 from about 1970-91.

Blimey! We were at 76 from 1963 to the nineties (my litte bro and my mum - I was long gone).

There is a lad on the 'maling list' who now lives in New Zealand who lived down your end of the road from the early 50s to some later date. He came to a game with me last season. Anthony. Age late 60s early 70s now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here