Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rise in holocaust denial.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It allmost seems impossible to me that someone has no knowledge of it as an adult. I took my daughter to the imperial war museum in London as it has a Holocaust Exhibition. It didn’t just show what happen it also explained how it happened, with the propaganda and right ring media slowly demonised a group of people until they became somehow less human. Truly shocking, and the parallel today with a different group of people, is very worrying. I want her to understand the past as we need to avoid making the same mistakes again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’d say it’s ok to remember if you want too but not make such a big hoo ha and song and dance each year with the wreath laying and services etc, just quietly remember in your head without affecting everyone else, but I understand this opinion will not be to everyone’s thinking, just to me it’s come to the point where it all just needs forgetting about.

I disagree. There’s plenty of ceremonies I’d like to see gone but Remembrance is not one of them .
It’s two hours, one day a year. Just the money alone the poppy appeal raises for veterans is worth the event.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’d say it’s ok to remember if you want too but not make such a big hoo ha and song and dance each year with the wreath laying and services etc, just quietly remember in your head without affecting everyone else, but I understand this opinion will not be to everyone’s thinking, just to me it’s come to the point where it all just needs forgetting about.

Nobody's forcing you to attend or even watch such services. I lost a mate in Afgan, my cousin served in the Balkans conflict ..... I think both are worth remembering for their sacrifice or possible sacrifice. Both wars were recent as far as I'm concerned and there for shouldn't be 'forgotten about'.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Remembrance and celebration are not the same thing.

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

I couldn't agree more.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Time to move on and forgive and forget, no need to keep holding ‘remberance’ each year in my opinion, same with Poppy Day etc, always come ms across to me as attention seeking. How can we all try to get on in the world if each year we celebrate death and murder. Forgive, forget, move on.

You really are something , if it was not for all these people who sacrificed their lives, you would not be here ,

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The lack of knowledge about the holocaust and the total number of Jews who were killed is understandable. The same people would not be able to tell you the name of Britain's leader during WW2 or manage to estimate accurately the population of London.

Understandable? Why? Because those people are thick, too self centered, uneducated or a combination of all three?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
1 in 20... That is absolute bollocks; the true figure will be nothing like that.

As for 'I don't like where this country is heading'... get off Twitter, stop reading sensationalist news stories, and get out and about. Youll see that in fact most people are decent, open minded and kind folk.

I prefer where this country is now compared to where it was 20, 30, 100, 150 etc years ago, that's for sure. Regardless of what's going on with Brexit, we're still one of the most tolerant countries in the world, that is without a doubt.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Absolute joke of a poll which is so poor it's almost clickbait level...

You're always going to get a village idiot or three in a poll. That's life. I truly cannot believe anyone could think the concentration camps, thousands of films, images, documentation and personal accounts from the time are made up. If they do, best they shuffle off back to Croydon and stay indoors. As for underestimating the numbers.. I'm in my late 40's and am fairly well educated, but I couldn't put a number on how many jews were killed in the camps. Millions, yes - but I don't know the exact number... so the two thirds of respondents are being demonised for this? A bit unfair..

As for remembering the dead, I think it's important. I assume the poster who says it's best to forget the dead wants himself and his loved ones to be buried in unmarked graves, then. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You were serious with your first comment, then. I thought it was statbrother style dripping irony!

Personally I don't engage with the poppy business, but I'm certainly not going to forget we fought two world wars against Germany and that the EU adventure is part of the price we pay for no more wars in Europe (give or take). Others clearly don't understand this at all, and imagine we can leave the EU and just go around twatting Germany (and France and Italy) again if they don't give us what we want. As for suggesting we just forget the Holocaust and move on......the number of times I recall, even in the 70s, hearing 'but they really don't do themselves any favours' comments....'always wanting to be separate and different'.....'always blaming everyone else'.....'and just look how they treat the Palestinians'....'they bring it on themselves'....'I'm not antisemitic, I just oppose the state of Israel'......FFS. Seriously. It makes it much easier to be a little bit racist if we forget about the Holocaust....

LVGull

May 13, 2016

make such a big hoo ha and song and dance each year with the wreath laying and services etc‘

You disrespectful c**t. Ban this ungrateful prick.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
As a teacher, I strongly disagree with your comment about it being a failing of the education system. It is taught in upper KS2 at primary and again in secondary school. But, like most things, if children go home and speak to their parents about it and they, the parents, flat out refuse to acknowledge it happened then it’s likely the children will too. I suspect there is a direct correlation between children who don’t believe it happened and their parents’ ill informed beliefs.

Unfortunately I think it's a combination of what you suggest plus the lack of educational ambition in so many young kids now (also not encouraged by parents). My sister in law is a year 5 teacher and when she asked her class the other day what they all wanted to be when they grow up they nearly all said they wanted to be youtubers or social media 'influencers'. Intelligence just isn't necessary or even desirable. Look at ****ing Love Island for heavens sake.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think the poll may be correct unfortunately. As another poster said, it would be interesting to look at the demographic of the selected participants. There may be a right wing or religious bias evident perhaps?

It's not often i agree with [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] but he is spot on with this one.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As a teacher, I strongly disagree with your comment about it being a failing of the education system. It is taught in upper KS2 at primary and again in secondary school. But, like most things, if children go home and speak to their parents about it and they, the parents, flat out refuse to acknowledge it happened then it’s likely the children will too. I suspect there is a direct correlation between children who don’t believe it happened and their parents’ ill informed beliefs.

I never studied WW2 at school in the 90s and certainly never covered the holocaust. You only got to study that by taking history as an option in Y10.

My only knowledge is from watching the odd documentary. Possibly the syllabus has now changed to include WW2 earlier, but it could be possible that a while demographic exists who never learned any of this at school.

I've seen [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tdene's post above about underestimating how many died so now know the answer, but if you'd asked me yesterday I would've said 2 million. I'm now thinking that was at 1 camp? :shrug:

I have an idea of the horrors, I'm not sure if ignorance on the details makes me or anyone else a bad person or anti-semite :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Understandable? Why? Because those people are thick, too self centered, uneducated or a combination of all three?

how much do you know about the action and numbers killed in the Russian purges, Chinese cultural revolution, Rwanda genecides? why?...

i dont think it unreasonable that people dont know all details of the holocaust of WWII, when we dont know anything about so many other similar events.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Possibly fake news or at the very least a misleading survey.
Harty Junior, now 23, had ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ as part of his English curriculum at both Middle and Senior School, they even took the whole year group at Thomas A Beckett to watch the film at the Connaught.
So therefore do a survey in Worthing of young adults and you will get a totally different result.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I never studied WW2 at school in the 90s and certainly never covered the holocaust. You only got to study that by taking history as an option in Y10.

My only knowledge is from watching the odd documentary. Possibly the syllabus has now changed to include WW2 earlier, but it could be possible that a while demographic exists who never learned any of this at school.

I've seen [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tdene's post above about underestimating how many died so now know the answer, but if you'd asked me yesterday I would've said 2 million. I'm now thinking that was at 1 camp? :shrug:

I have an idea of the horrors, I'm not sure if ignorance on the details makes me or anyone else a bad person or anti-semite :shrug:

Conversely I did study WW2 at primary in the 90s, whether it was then I don’t know but is now part of the KS2 curriculum. The full horrors are inappropriate to teach 9/10 year olds, but the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party, dehumanisation and eventual widespread mass murder of the Jewish community, as well as others such as political opponents, ethnic minorities, gypsies etc, is taught. In an age appropriate way I hasten to add.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Fairs, it’s been over 30 years since I was in school. I just assumed these days you had them all goose stepping round the playground, let them play on their Gameboy’s for homework and fed them crack at breakfast club :)

I think you’re confusing school with modern day parenting :lol: :down:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Unfortunately I think it's a combination of what you suggest plus the lack of educational ambition in so many young kids now (also not encouraged by parents). My sister in law is a year 5 teacher and when she asked her class the other day what they all wanted to be when they grow up they nearly all said they wanted to be youtubers or social media 'influencers'. Intelligence just isn't necessary or even desirable. Look at ****ing Love Island for heavens sake.

It is certainly a sad state of affairs. I currently teach in EYFS and they all want to be policemen, firefighters, doctors or train drivers. The more they grow up, the more they get sucked in to the digital world and their ambitions change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here