Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I do hope the good people of a fellow south coast town in Dover start a recall petition for their MP.

He's innocent until proved guilty. They're not going to start a recall petition for someone who hasn't been convicted of anything

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He's innocent until proved guilty. They're not going to start a recall petition for someone who hasn't been convicted of anything

There's already a petition going calling for a recall petition against Mr Elphicke despite his innocence. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest - once you go east of the McCartney estate and venture into that part of Kent - it's truly shocking what goes on. Far worse than Medway in my opinion. If it wasn't for the good people from the towns and villages of West Kent in Stoolball country, I'd really have a very dim view on Kent generally. The only thing comparable in life to seeing the 'Welcome to East Sussex' sign upon leaving there and heading west into civilisation is driving for hours in North West Province in South Africa, through the bushveld with no sign of life, then suddenly arriving at Sun City.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Will Boris even make it to No 10? Could be huge opposition within his party if Alan Duncan's actions today are anything to go by.

[tweet]1153305713772552194[/tweet]

I reckon the Queen is going to tell him to **** orf anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will Boris even make it to No 10? Could be huge opposition within his party if Alan Duncan's actions today are anything to go by.

[tweet]1153305713772552194[/tweet]

I reckon the Queen is going to tell him to **** orf anyway.

What happens if it is decided Boris doesn't have a majority?

Anyone?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What happens if it is decided Boris doesn't have a majority?

Anyone?

I'm not sure exactly what would happen but, as I see it, there are two possibilities. The first is that May stays on as leader and the Tories have a fresh vote, the second is that the Queen asks another politician (Liddington and Benn have been mentioned) who could form a government supported by all the house - that government would have two weeks to get a majority.

My feeling is that Johnson is safe for a month or so as no MP wants to lose out on a holiday. The fun and games will start in September and there could well be no Tory majority by then.

What larks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure exactly what would happen but, as I see it, there are two possibilities. The first is that May stays on as leader and the Tories have a fresh vote, the second is that the Queen asks another politician (Liddington and Benn have been mentioned) who could form a government supported by all the house - that government would have two weeks to get a majority.

My feeling is that Johnson is safe for a month or so as no MP wants to lose out on a holiday. The fun and games will start in September and there could well be no Tory majority by then.

What larks.

Thanks, informative.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

What larks.

Tony Blair is at a bit of a loose end right now...…………….(on the 25th anniversary of his election as Labour leader).

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I assume that Tim Rycroft COO of the Food and Drink Federation isn't one of your high flyers
https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2019/07/19/No-deal-Brexit-poses-serious-threat-to-food-availability-report?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

Or Mike Coupe, chief exec of Sainsburys
https://www.ft.com/content/b3a2a29a-9d57-11e9-9c06-a4640c9feebb

Or Roger Burnley CEO of Asda
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/07/as-bad-as-it-gets-grocery-giants-warn-on-brexit-no-deal/

Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda CEOs
https://www.sustainweb.org/news/jul19_rotting_christmas_dinner/

Or the Chief Execs of Sainsbury’s, Asda, Marks & Spencer, the Co-op and Waitrose
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/28/no-deal-brexit-price-rises-retailers-sainsburys-asda-ms-coop

Couldn't be arsed looking beyond 5 of the first 6 results for the last couple of weeks on Google. Maybe your high flyers who are saying there will be no disruption are further down the results list :facepalm:

Think he must purchase all his food produce from wagons strewn up and down the lay-bys on the A22 etc their proprietors are a mine of useful information and definitely have their collective fingers on the pulse of this Brexit malarkey !

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

What larks.

This but May would have to stay on as PM until such time as a replacement PM is found, if no one can be deemed to command the support of the Commons then they will not be permitted to form a Government. Realistically if the Queen says no a VONC is a dead cert to take place, and that decides whether BoJo is PM or there's an election. I can't really see any prospect of a Government of unity of any sort.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Shortest reign ever as PM...

George Canning - 119 days 12 April to 8 August 1827

Surely Brexit can destroy that record

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shortest reign ever as PM...

George Canning - 119 days 12 April to 8 August 1827

Surely Brexit can destroy that record

Very different circumstances, Canning was a political maverick who was loathed by many from his own party (he even fought a duel with the foreign secretary). He was renowned for his colourful turn of phrase, mocking many fellow politicians and railing against foreigners. Several ministers resigned rather than serve under him ... we can't expect to see a politician like that again.

Oh

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Exactly the same three options as I told you three years ago

And still a few £10s of billions and years of work before 2 becomes implementable.

And same as for last 3 years, until you find a quote from me to the contrary, then I'll file your twaddle along with Johnson's Kippers and Mars Bar rubbish :)

Your memory really is terrible .... [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] already nailed you on this ages ago. Please remember this time or no doubt you will be embarrassing yourself again making claims that are completely untrue :p

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...f-March-2019&p=8698566&highlight=#post8698566

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your memory really is terrible .... [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] already nailed you on this ages ago. Please remember this time or no doubt you will be embarrassing yourself again making claims that are completely untrue :p

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...f-March-2019&p=8698566&highlight=#post8698566

Now, as you know, I hate to repeat myself, but in the post you quoted, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] made the following edits to my posts before then quoting them to try and justify himself.

In response to a question of why we wouldn't get 'no deal' I said

I agree with you that a deal will be made and the EU will grant an extension to membership on worse terms than we have currently. We don't really have a choice.

I agree that us committing economic suicide will be disastrous for the EU as well.

I have said this all along. My bet is that we will either have the softest of soft Brexits, paying in but having no influence or there will be some sort of referendum or GE.

As someone said a couple of pages earlier, the answer to my questions is irrelevant as we will almost certainly not be leaving with ‘no deal’. What I am doing is pointing out the ludicrous situation whereby we have people believing that 'no deal' is an option even though, with 7 months to go, we have made absolutely no preparations.

The questions are for those who believe that 'no deal' is an option, of which I thought (obviously wrongly) you were one.

Which, our friend pasta, before quoting, managed to edit to

I have said this all along. My bet is that we will either have the softest of soft Brexits, paying in but having no influence or there will be some sort of referendum or GE.

The next quote

Although I can see the case for a cross party negotiating team spreading the blame (probably not in Labour's interests !), I can't really see the outcome changing significantly.

We have seen a number of people on here talking about the negotiations and us 'showing our cards' or not being 'tough in the negotiations'. The fact of the matter is that very early on we stated all these red lines and then added the DUPs. From then on, there was nothing to hide and everything from both sides, from the Ireland border issue to all trading figures across the EU were in the public domain.

I can't see how from that point, we were going to get anything other than the 'softest of soft Brexits' or 'No deal'.

The EU were never going to let us pick more of their cherries and the idea from some, that if Boris was in charge we would have done better is just fantasy.

I really believe that from soon after the vote, we have simply watched a narrative get played out whilst politicians from both sides have gone through the motions, and this would have happened regardless of who was on the negotiating team or, indeed, in Government given the position we had put ourselves in

Which he managed, before quoting, to edit to

I can't see how from that point, we were going to get anything other than the 'softest of soft Brexits' or 'No deal'.

All of which I pointed out to you, the last time you tried to use the same post from pastafarian using all his edited quotes to make the same claim that I said differently :yawn:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-The-Brexit-Thread&p=8775116&viewfull=1#post8775116

Now I'm not surprised in the least at pastafarian editing posts and then quoting them, lying in a pathetic attempt to prove how clever he is.

But I didn't think you would be taken in so easily. After all, it's not as if you have a history of being ridiculously naive and taken in by the first snake oil salesman who comes along, is it :facepalm:

It does seem that somebody on here does indeed, have a terrible memory :lolol:

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Apparently Hunt, as foreign secretary, is going cap in hand to Europe to set up a fleet to protect shipping in the gulf, after we totally ballsed up the hi jacking of our tanker.
Hope they tell us to piss off.
We have one frigate doing its best but after Iran said we want a British tanker we were at only level 3, now they have done it, we have now raised it to the highest level, too f*****g late you incompetent idiots.
Of course the government are saying that they didn't take their eyes off the ball.
Now we are asking Europe to help.
The farce gets worse.
Expect Boris to be seen in the gulf with a pedalo and a union jack.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Now, as you know, I hate to repeat myself, but in the post you quoted, [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] made the following edits to my posts before then quoting them to try and justify himself.

In response to a question of why we wouldn't get 'no deal' I said

Which, our friend pasta, before quoting, managed to edit to

The next quote

Which he managed, before quoting, to edit to

All of which I pointed out to you, the last time you tried to use the same post from pastafarian using all his edited quotes to make the same claim that I said differently :yawn:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-The-Brexit-Thread&p=8775116&viewfull=1#post8775116

Now I'm not surprised in the least at pastafarian editing posts and then quoting them, lying in a pathetic attempt to prove how clever he is.

But I didn't think you would be taken in so easily. After all, it's not as if you have a history of being ridiculously naive and taken in by the first snake oil salesman who comes along, is it :facepalm:

It does seem that somebody on here does indeed, have a terrible memory :lolol:

Absolutely owned by Watford Zero (Again) :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here