Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Gay Footballer

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Lack of gay footballers is never ever going to be one of the major reasons why people feel repressed and psychologically unhappy. However, the identity psychosis shit where in example your sexuality is the same as your "identity" and your whole existence is intertwined with your sexual preferences is definitely harmful. Its the same for classes in society or political viewpoints or whatever really - you put yourself in a box you simply cant thrive inside as every human is far more multifaceted than that.

If you go all in and become this "gay symbol", you and everyone else is always going to expect - almost demand - that you be some kind of Rainbow God 24/7 and you put yourself under giant pressure, just like the business man who cant go barefoot with a sweaty t-shirt or the "bad boy" getting weird looks when he rejects a beer or a joint. One of the major reasons people are feeling shit in our day and age is not the lack of representation, but the pressure to always represent.

If everyone stopped believing that they were alone in the world and kill that urge to put a spotlight in your face and saying "I am different", then different would be normal rather than different. The footballer in question would do himself and other gay people a favour if he just stopped hiding it without making some kind of buzz about it. Its how you make things considered normal.

As for "I assume you're Swansea. Give me one good reason to tolerate you given you're a guest here and the only thing that's been up your ass is your own head" its really up to you - I dont know you, I dont know how tolerant you are of opinions and thoughts you dislike, so whether you choose to tolerate me or not is really in your hands. I dont know what is a "good reason" to you.

Fair enough

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I find it interesting that people are saying that how players choose to live their private lives makes no difference as long as they turn up on matchday and yet certain members of the Albion squad were criticised for allegedly creating a 'drinking culture'. Especially when – given the outpouring of anger and disappointment over the departure of one of them – indicates that, in fact, it DOESN'T make a difference to how they perform on the pitch...

Anyway, plenty more debate to be had between now and Wednesday :lol: :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lack of gay footballers is never ever going to be one of the major reasons why people feel repressed and psychologically unhappy. However, the identity psychosis shit where in example your sexuality is the same as your "identity" and your whole existence is intertwined with your sexual preferences is definitely harmful. Its the same for classes in society or political viewpoints or whatever really - you put yourself in a box you simply cant thrive inside as every human is far more multifaceted than that.

Wow, I didn't realise we had a professor of Psychology on the board and one who's helped so many LGBTQ people with such direct advice. You should set up a tent at Pride. You'd defintaly be popular.

Or, maybe, you don't know that any more than I do. But the point is, with NO gay footballers at all, the professional men's game is a last bastion of homophobia.

If you go all in and become this "gay symbol", you and everyone else is always going to expect - almost demand - that you be some kind of Rainbow God 24/7 and you put yourself under giant pressure, just like the business man who cant go barefoot with a sweaty t-shirt or the "bad boy" getting weird looks when he rejects a beer or a joint. One of the major reasons people are feeling shit in our day and age is not the lack of representation, but the pressure to always represent.

If everyone stopped believing that they were alone in the world and kill that urge to put a spotlight in your face and saying "I am different", then different would be normal rather than different. The footballer in question would do himself and other gay people a favour if he just stopped hiding it without making some kind of buzz about it. Its how you make things considered normal.

Well, again, that would be nice. People "just being" is the ideal. But clearly there are some footballers who are not "just being". NATSAL reckons around 1.1% of us identify as gay. That means f you just take a first team squad of 25 in each of the 92 pro clubs that neatly comes out as 25 players who should be "out" just in that cohort. Never mind since Fashanu (who killed himself, let's remember). That's not touching youth players, semi-pros, County League etc. How many players who just play for fun are suppressing their real selves because "footballers aren't like that"?

That said, this does seem to be a bit of a publicity stunt but i would suggest those responsible think it's necessary.

As for "I assume you're Swansea. Give me one good reason to tolerate you given you're a guest here and the only thing that's been up your ass is your own head" its really up to you - I dont know you, I dont know how tolerant you are of opinions and thoughts you dislike, so whether you choose to tolerate me or not is really in your hands. I dont know what is a "good reason" to you.

Because away fans coming on here and trolling about homosexuality is incredibly boring. Let's just see what pans out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow, I didn't realise we had a professor of Psychology on the board and one who's helped so many LGBTQ people with such direct advice. You should set up a tent at Pride. You'd defintaly be popular.

Or, maybe, you don't know that any more than I do. But the point is, with NO gay footballers at all, the professional men's game is a last bastion of homophobia.

Well, again, that would be nice. People "just being" is the ideal. But clearly there are some footballers who are not "just being". NATSAL reckons around 1.1% of us identify as gay. That means f you just take a first team squad of 25 in each of the 92 pro clubs that neatly comes out as 25 players who should be "out" just in that cohort. Never mind since Fashanu (who killed himself, let's remember). That's not touching youth players, semi-pros, County League etc. How many players who just play for fun are suppressing their real selves because "footballers aren't like that"?

That said, this does seem to be a bit of a publicity stunt but i would suggest those responsible think it's necessary.

Because away fans coming on here and trolling about homosexuality is incredibly boring. Let's just see what pans out.

Fashanu’s niece was being interviewed on the radio a bit earlier. Even she isn’t 100% sure it’s genuine (although she has been exchanging messages with the tweeter). She said, however, that there is another player (can’t recall the twitter handle but she confirmed it’s a Norwich player) that is planning to come out this week too.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fashanu’s niece was being interviewed on the radio a bit earlier. Even she isn’t 100% sure it’s genuine (although she has been exchanging messages with the tweeter). She said, however, that there is another player (can’t recall the twitter handle but she confirmed it’s a Norwich player) that is planning to come out this week too.

I bet Jim Shite was wetting himself with that exclusive (I'd left the car by then).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I bet Jim Shite was wetting himself with that exclusive (I'd left the car by then).

He claimed he’d been exchanging messages with the Gay Footballer.............given he quickly moved on this sounded more like he might have sent a message (probably BEGGING for an EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW on HIS show) but got ignored.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, I heard that bit and then turned off after Fashanu Jnr said it would be the greatest day of her life (or something like that) when (if, I guess?) the footballer came out...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Out of curiosity, why would they do that? Is Brighton known for its gay community or something?

serious.jpg

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

@ThatGayPro

Norwich.PNG

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I read too much into it, thinking it was a common issue but I realise now it was only pointed towards me.

I do think Internet is Dada 2.0, but troll, wouldnt go that far..

Come over on the first weekend of August to see for yourself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I read too much into it, thinking it was a common issue but I realise now it was only pointed towards me.

I do think Internet is Dada 2.0, but troll, wouldnt go that far..

I fear I'm being wooshed. But..... (sigh)

Brighton has a large and very well known gay population and a huge Pride every August.
Therefore fans of other teams (particularly, but not limited to, Palace and Sheffield Wednesday) sing "amusing" songs about Brighton fans being gay.
A few of them have turned up on here to do the same.
Your username suggests you are a Swansea fan - "Swans".

If you are not a Swansea fan that would be good to clarify. If you have interest in Brighton and Hove Albion then some basic research would be advised. If, in fact, this is your idea of a hilarious joke then, yes, you are a troll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here