Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe because people are getting fed up with the squabbling. I know many remainer's who now just want the deal, any deal. The whole process has now basically bored people off.

I sympathise if that is the case; unfortunately, there is so much at stake that being worn down will not seem a great reason to future generations, whichever way voters capitulate......

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I sympathise if that is the case; unfortunately, there is so much at stake that being worn down will not seem a great reason to future generations, whichever way voters capitulate......

I think its just general apathy with the whole thing now. Most just want to move on

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Interesting..... why the change of heart?

I'm not so into the idea of a political union, I like the idea of free trade agreements and cooperation between European nations, but to start acting like a super state where more and more is centralised in Brussels is something I don't agree with. The EU should focus more on inter-european cooperation than inter-european governance.
I'm not so into the single currency either.

However I do think we are better to be within the EU right now, but since the referendum showed a slender majority of people wanted to leave we have to respect that.

Joining the EFTA would be a decent, albeit not perfect compromise between remain and leave in my humble opinion.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Also with their flailing position and using the stalling of a deal for political point scoring has put me off Labour, I think if there ends up being a GE this year I'd vote Lib Dem.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Remainers have no choice! You can't vote Tory or labour as you are just voting for brexit. Unless labour change their stance they could lose huge numbers of votes.

Labour will come up with some mealy mouthed compromise half truth which will pull some in

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Also with their flailing position and using the stalling of a deal for political point scoring has put me off Labour, I think if there ends up being a GE this year I'd vote Lib Dem.

Sadly, that would be pointless. We have too many seats that are heavily Labour or Tory and not enough swing seats in the middle that could ever lead to a Lib Dem majority. We are stuck with what we have so you have to go left or right depending on your status in life.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think its just general apathy with the whole thing now. Most just want to move on

I understand why people with no particular interest in politics might have got a bit bored of it - but surely that's another illustration of why ordinary people with no particular interest in politics shouldn't be asked to make snap judgments on complex and nuanced political issues?

PS I have an interest in politics but I am an ordinary bloke and I don't think I should have been asked either.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
537a63b24371b63a19e0e975cc6e0131.jpg

69 days to go Anna love.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Labour will come up with some mealy mouthed compromise half truth which will pull some in

And the Tories will come up with an arrogant phrase which will scare people in to believing that to vote Labour will automatically turn us in to a combination of Venezuela/ North Korea...….... " There is no magic money tree " said Theresa May to the nurse struggling to make ends meet, but there is "Quantative Easing " for the Banks that caused our last financial crisis.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And the Tories will come up with an arrogant phrase which will scare people in to believing that to vote Labour will automatically turn us in to a combination of Venezuela/ North Korea...….... " There is no magic money tree " said Theresa May to the nurse struggling to make ends meet, but there is "Quantative Easing " for the Banks that caused our last financial crisis.

Yep banks that will never repay what has been lost even though most are once again making obscene profits

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep banks that will never repay what has been lost even though most are once again making obscene profits

Indeed. Unfortunately the propaganda that has worked so well is to blame the poor, unemployed and sick for our malaise.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Good documentary. I already knew most of this, but it joined up some of it for me. Leaving it is not the answer though, fixing it is.
The same issues affect the UK Government, in much the same way. As the documentary points out, in 2008 the EU introduced a voluntary register of lobbyists. But in the UK in 2009, the House of Commons Public Administration Select Committee, recommended creating a statutory register of lobbying companies, but the Government rejected it.
Politics is a dirty business, pretty much everywhere in the world, and we need to fight for better, not jack it in and retreat.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No help.
I challenge you to come up with any other idea that will bring perfectly reasonable people with conflicting views back together.....

Perfectly reasonable people are fine, many remainers know how democracy should function and have already recognised the result must be respected and we should Leave the EU.
The unreasonable, in order to cure themselves of their divisiveness need to understand what democracy is again and should recognise we should Leave the EU because that is what the referendum instructed.
But I have already told you this though, the fact you have to keep asking just shows you are struggling with the concept. I wont bother answering if you ask again, now that you know what you need to do to self heal.

You quoted David Davis, it was relevant to those words. The ones you quoted, so relevant to tour post, have a hat:dunce:

Oh come on,
Try and read what was posted, I quoted a larger chunk of the Davis speech only to show how the few cherry picked words presented had been used wrongly and taken out of context in the way they were intended to be understood ……nothing more.(well, apart from the date was dodgy too)
Thanks for returning your hat by the way, stock is low and demand is high.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

:lol:
Oh dear, now posting the same meaningless nonsense video that [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] trawls up from irrelevant random people on twitter.
Yes he did say there could be two referendums in that process. And he is entirely correct, you could indeed. But so what. He was absolutely NOT saying you could have or supporting to have a second referendum after negotiations to withdraw from the EU have completed which is what these rubbish tweets and video imply and the 2nd referendum people want.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here