Kirtley has shin splints!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Sussex are confident sore shins will not keep James Kirtley out of Test action or the Championship run-in.

Kirtley has been reported as suffering from shin splints as England bid to try and square the series with South Africa.

Sussex director of cricket Peter Moores, however, last night played down the injury and tipped Kirtley to be fit for England and the county.

He also expects Mushtaq Ahmed, Chris Adams and Tim Ambrose to be fit for Sussex's home day-nighter with Middlesex next Wednesday.

Moores, currently in Edinburgh for Sussex's National League clash with the Scottish Saltires today (1pm), said: "James has got sore shins, not shin splints, but that will settle down with a week's rest and treatment."

Mushtaq does not play today as he rests both a groin strain, picked up in the Championship win at Colchester, and a troublesome back.

Moores added: "Mushtaq is with us so he can have treatment and he is getting there. He did light training yesterday and we are hoping to get him fit for Wednesday"

Adams (elbow) and Ambrose (knee) are resting niggles while Robin Martin-Jenkins has a minor back strain and may be replaced by Mike Yardy today.

Neil Turk is in the running for a call-up at the top of the order.

Moores insists Sussex are desperate to win today's seemingly meaningless second division tussle. He said: "We've got to get our one-day form sorted out."

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Moores, currently in Edinburgh for Sussex's National League clash with the Scottish Saltires today (1pm), said:
"James has got sore shins, not shin splints, but that will settle down with a week's rest and treatment."

Cant think of anything worse than running into bowl if ur shins are killing u though :nono:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Ive never been entirly sure what shin splints are. I would if one of you kind nscer's would let me know. As I think, splints are those planks that you tie round your leg/arm etc to keep the limbs straight. Am I right? Coz im only guessing. ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey Trigger keep up, that was in the press on Monday.

I'd like to know what shin splints are though..,

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
The term shin splints refers to a painful condition that develops along the inside (medial edge) of the shin (tibia). The usual location is along the lower half of the tibia, anywhere from a few inches above the ankle to about half-way up the shin. The repeated running cycle of pounding and push off results in muscle fatigue, which may then lead to higher forces being applied to the fascia, the attachment of fascia to bone, and finally the bone itself. Respectively, this represents a spectrum from mild to severe. On the relatively more severe end of the scale the injury may progress from stress reaction within the bone to an actual stress fracture.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If they are severe they can stop a person running altogether.

My daughter was a promising junior athlete but shin splints put an end to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports