Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Gym etiquette

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Its definitely the dropping weights on the machines for me. I'm usually on the treadmill and this makes me jump every time.

The other thing is when there is a class on the gym floor and the instructor has the music so loud and then tries to shout over the music. The class are 3 feet away turn the bloody music down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its definitely the dropping weights on the machines for me. I'm usually on the treadmill and this makes me jump every time.

The other thing is when there is a class on the gym floor and the instructor has the music so loud and then tries to shout over the music. The class are 3 feet away turn the bloody music down.
Reading the woes of others here makes me realise just how easy I have it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It depends on the type of training you're doing ultimately, but the general consensus is that a 45 second to 2 minute break between sets is about right in order to maximise strength/muscle endurance for endos and mesos, but also to allow the heart rate to recover accordingly. But ectomorphs are the least physically suited to heavy weight training so it tends to be at the higher end of this in terms of the break required between sets; some even recommend between 3-5 minutes for ectomorphs between sets when tackling heavy weights.
Interesting thanks, I'll do some research (I'm mostly ecto, and I rest 3 mins between sets).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Interesting thanks, I'll do some research (I'm mostly ecto, and I rest 3 mins between sets).

I'd say that's about right. Ultimately there's no specific right or wrong answer. The other variables that it can depend on are your training routine, your level of fitness but also how you're feeling on any given day; it may also depend on the area of the body you're working as some people are weaker in some areas than others. But your body type is a factor in terms of time between sets.

By all means feed back anything you've found that contradicts what I've said though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By all means feed back anything you've found that contradicts what I've said though.
Well there's obviously a ton of information on this sort of thing on the net, from research to bro science, and naturally there's some difference of opinion. I think the main factor is how heavy you're lifting. If you're strength training, obviously you're going to need a longer rest than if you're doing HIRT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here