Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The really interesting thing with corbyn was his reaction when asked about the EU on the last leg....if you remember he was very vague ..and his body language showed as people reported at the time that he was a leaver. In the past he was very critical about the European state...which is fair enough as a lot of people thought the same.

So we had May hiding away and corbyn trying to do the same.

Whereas the so called big hitters like Johnson and farridge were paraded in front of busses promising things there was no way they could deliver

A metaphor fr what was to come and we seeing now.

If the Italian facist vetos against an extension then that would be farridge's legacy.

This from July 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ws-fire-position-future-britain-eu-membership

In recent weeks, Corbyn has refused several times to make clear whether he would, as Labour leader, campaign to stay in or get out, and has said merely that the EU is imperfect and needs reform.

The issue is a difficult one for Corbyn as he enjoys a surge in support. A number of his supporters on the left of the party are known to believe strongly that Corbyn should keep open the option of campaigning to leave – although the vast majority of Labour supporters back staying in.

Shirley this can't be the same man who abstained from voting for a second referendum then approached the Dispatch Box calling for a second referendum. :shrug:

As I've said previously 'yes this is all down to the Tories, an internal argument that started in Public School'.
But at no point, over the last 3 years, has the Labour Party held the Tories feet to the fire, because they also don't have the leadership and are too busy fighting their own divisions.

I think we finally have the politicians we always thought we had.
Oh if we knew where we were heading to x decades ago, I don't think anyone would have complained about what we had then. :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have changed my mind on one thing at least.
Previously I thought referendums were probably a bad idea. I now think they are definitely a bad idea.

We have a parliamentary democracy for a reason. It can certainly be improved (I want to see some form of PR), but nonetheless it has proved to be the least worst option. It needs to start functioning and sort this out.

There are much more important issue than Brexit that are being ignored while this fiasco rolls on.

For what it is worth, I voted remain, but I had to think about it. My prefered outcome at this stage would be very soft Brexit. But I don't want a second referendum and if there is one i probably won't vote.

This should have been a nuanced, complex discussion, weighing national sovereignty against the benefits of cooperation and the need for a strong, socially progressive block in a globalised economy. Weighing national economic advantage against the impact on distribution. Developing a better understanding how the economy works and for who. Understanding how the EU actually works. Understanding the Good Friday Agreement and what it means to people in Ireland.

Instead it has become a simplistic, divisive, antogistic sh*tfest, where 'my enemies enemies are my friends' and anyone that voted to leave is stupid and racist. That is the real tragedy in my opinion. And a second referendum will most likely make it worse not better. So i'm out.

How can a second referendum make things any worse than they are now? Nothing will change in the minds of those that want to Leave now - with or without a Deal, and nothing will change in the minds of those that want remain and believe in the European Project.

Furthermore, there are 13 million people that didn't vote that might have come to a decision now that the facts are clearer. And what about the 2.4 million young voters that have turned 18 since the referendum back in 2016 - shouldn't they get a say on the deal reached in Parliament?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The really interesting thing with corbyn was his reaction when asked about the EU on the last leg....if you remember he was very vague ..and his body language showed as people reported at the time that he was a leaver. In the past he was very critical about the European state...which is fair enough as a lot of people thought the same.

So we had May hiding away and corbyn trying to do the same.

Whereas the so called big hitters like Johnson and farridge were paraded in front of busses promising things there was no way they could deliver

A metaphor fr what was to come and we seeing now.

If the Italian facist vetos against an extension then that would be farridge's legacy.

I think the Italian fascist should be told in no uncertain terms that his country will bear the brunt of no deal if he does. I can put up with paying a quid more for my olive oil if it unseats that CJTC.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
May is not a Remainer, she's an immigrant hating opportunist.

I agree. The bleat that May is a closet Remainer is odd. There's no evidence.

As a government minister with a very nice job she gave Remain reticent support at a time when it was assumed Remain would win.

When it didn't, she transformed her position. Her decision to lead the departure process is acceptable but the way she did it wasn't.

Brexit Means Brexit, references to saboteurs, calculated talk about the citizens of nowhere. When her scheme to shove the whole leaving process through with little recourse to Parliament was challenged in the courts she stayed mute about foul attacks on our independent judiciary. Her only reaction was to call another election when it became clear that the HoC was more moderate than she was. She drew up her red lines, made no efforts to reach across to the huge minority (now perhaps a majority) who wanted a different way.

I really try not to demonise anyone, but Theresa May appears to be a ghastly woman. I am ashamed of her.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wanting everything with cherries on was, in part, the very arrogance which wasted about a year or more of negotiations.
I'm not suggesting the government haven't messed it up, they have. I was just saying that the problem wasn't simply that we triggered Article 50 before we worked out the deal, as BBasic said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite obviously not written on the back of a fag packet. Irrespective of it's merits it was probably designed by experienced civil servants knowing what the EU would accept. The backstop was not designed by the EU, it was designed by us :)
Indeed.

But it's the only one.

1) Where is the Rees Moggs deal ?
2) Where is the David Davies deal ?
3) Where is the Boris Johnson deal ?

They don't exist because they want to crash out and the world is laughing.
So I guess you agree with me that the cabinet we had wouldn't agree to any single plan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not suggesting the government haven't messed it up, they have. I was just saying that the problem wasn't simply that we triggered Article 50 before we worked out the deal, as BBasic said.

Correct. The problem wasn’t we triggered a50 before we worked out a deal.....as obviously a deal could not be worked out ahead of a50. But, when you go into a negotiation it’s hugely beneficial to know what you realistically want. The British government still doesn’t have a clue to this day as to what it wants.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Correct. The problem wasn’t we triggered a50 before we worked out a deal.....as obviously a deal could not be worked out ahead of a50. But, when you go into a negotiation it’s hugely beneficial to know what you realistically want. The British government still doesn’t have a clue to this day as to what it wants.
Mrs May said she wanted " the best deal possible " which narrowed it down a smidgen.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
This from July 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ws-fire-position-future-britain-eu-membership

In recent weeks, Corbyn has refused several times to make clear whether he would, as Labour leader, campaign to stay in or get out, and has said merely that the EU is imperfect and needs reform.

The issue is a difficult one for Corbyn as he enjoys a surge in support. A number of his supporters on the left of the party are known to believe strongly that Corbyn should keep open the option of campaigning to leave – although the vast majority of Labour supporters back staying in.

Shirley this can't be the same man who abstained from voting for a second referendum then approached the Dispatch Box calling for a second referendum. :shrug:

As I've said previously 'yes this is all down to the Tories, an internal argument that started in Public School'.
But at no point, over the last 3 years, has the Labour Party held the Tories feet to the fire, because they also don't have the leadership and are too busy fighting their own divisions.

I think we finally have the politicians we always thought we had.
Oh if we knew where we were heading to x decades ago, I don't think anyone would have complained about what we had then. :lol:
Just think, Cameron is almost looking like a half decent PM :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just think, Cameron is almost looking like a half decent PM :)

Also imagine May having to deal with Kinnock, Smith (and dare I say) Blair, Brown and even, even Miliband in opposition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"We send the EU £350m a week.
Let's give 5x that amount to the DUP, instead".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here