Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The worst thing with these cancellations is that you get moved to the next available flight but, at busy times of year, there aren't too many empty seats on following flights so you can wait many days if not weeks to get a seat.

Given the time of year, Saturday evening doesn't sound too bad, restaurant booking aside.

Which explains the timing of this (from the alleged activists).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

We got my lad one last year for Christmas (he's 21). On its inaugural test flight he put it straight into a tree across the road, about 30ft up. He managed to climb up high enough to poke it down with a broom, but they are buggers to control !

(the drone, not the 21 year old)

After a couple of test flights I had to check there wasn't a 'fly directly at the operators head' button that I'd accidentally pressed.

I'm expecting to get some good 'FIFA' action footage from him and his mates.
(Hopefully nothing else)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
BBC saying CAA now classing this as an extraordinary event so compensation for delays / diversions unlikely

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gatwick closed till 4pm

Just manning up for a no deal Brexit

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Okay... one of my bin lids is Cabin Crew based at Gatwick. Just been stood down and sent home...

Wha'rrappened? : Two drones. One last night, one this morning. One even flew up to the window of the Control Tower and 'looked in'... That's what spooked them the most.

Whodunnit? : They're not sure, but 'activists' have been mentioned several times.

When's opening time? : They're looking to resume flights at about 4.00 - 4.30pm today.

There. That's the NSC inside track so far. :thumbsup:

Err... what does that mean?

One of his children is cabin crew, Bin Lids = Cockney for kids

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Bin lids - Kids

Shooting it down - these things move pretty quickly - so the best option be a couple of landrovers full of soliers with shotguns driving around the runway filling the air with lead !

They do that while the perpetrator(s) pop down the road and buy another drone or two. Could go on for hours.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They do that while the perpetrator(s) pop down the road and buy another drone or two. Could go on for hours.

It's patently the same drone. It just returns to base to recharge its batteries. Soon as Sussex plod get their act together and shoot the damn thing out of the sky, or hire some professionals to do so, the sooner folks can be on their way.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh deep joy, Just another case of selfish Briton, where it is all about the here and now, feck you jack I am alright, why are people moaning it's just a laugh....

Is it ? No it is selfish, boorish, ignorant and cvnty thing to do.

Jail time is required for those guilty, all those people who have holidays or going home to see relatives, sometimes for the last time....

All for a laugh, I bloody hope they catch them and they do get jail time, and before I fly from Gatwick on Monday....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BBC saying CAA now classing this as an extraordinary event so compensation for delays / diversions unlikely

It’s not the airline’s fault so I doubt anyone will get compo. Same as weather, strikes (Union) and strikes (Bird)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The problem now is that as the authorities have shown themselves totally impotent and clueless about how to deal with ONE drone, other numpties will think it is a brilliant wheeze and they'll be at it too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem now is that as the authorities have shown themselves totally impotent and clueless about how to deal with ONE drone, other numpties will think it is a brilliant wheeze and they'll be at it too.

I suspect there might be a bit more to this. The drone isn't some hobby toy one given the flight times. Probably some kind of commercial or even military drone?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Surprising this is ongoing and it appears there is nothing that can be done until they find the operators/*****!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh deep joy, Just another case of selfish Briton, where it is all about the here and now, feck you jack I am alright, why are people moaning it's just a laugh....

Is it ? No it is selfish, boorish, ignorant and cvnty thing to do.

Jail time is required for those guilty, all those people who have holidays or going home to see relatives, sometimes for the last time....

All for a laugh, I bloody hope they catch them and they do get jail time, and before I fly from Gatwick on Monday....

But it’s “their” human right to protest?! How can you argue otherwise?! It’s a “crushing blow” to democracy if they can’t! where you’ve gone wrong is you’re only thinking from all the hundreds of thousands inconvenienced perspective; you need to thinking about the handful of entitled individuals doing this for, we, the people...:facepalm:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ence-for-blocking-stansted-deportation-flight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here