Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a driving licence?

Do you have a driving licence

• Total voters

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Learned at 45, prompted by the recent move from Shoreham to living 3 miles from Wales' 'most remote village'. A 3 mile walk 1 bus a day on weekdays focusses one's mind on driving being quite important....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just actually read what was said before piling in with a sanctimonious reply like that. And try thinking a bit before spouting drivel too. I didn't advocate driving without a licence or insurance - I was stating that it is increasingly happening (as your mother's experience bears out) and gave a reason why it is happening, and outlined the thought process which leads many young drivers decide to ignore the law. OK, maybe I should have put the last sentence of my post in inverted commas, but it still doesn't justify "the most irresponsible post ever" crap blurted out by you.

Something - and no, I don't know what - needs to be done, or the problem will just get worse.

I did read it. Perhaps you should have done so too before posting it.

My reply was an honest response to a poorly worded, irresponsible post.

If you think that is sanctimonious drivel, then so be it.............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, I passed when I was 18, many years ago. In Gloucester funnily enough!
.....and I passed in Winchester!

My daughter passed at the ripe old age of 17 and 4 months. I put her on my insurance and was amazed at how little it put on my premium. It was a few years back to be fair!
"A few year's back" being the operative word. Fifteen years ago I taught my eldest to drive; it cost peanuts. Even a few years later when she was at Uni we loaned her the (second) car for the summer term (lot of festivals to get to!) and I puther boyfriend on the policy too - another tenner or so. A couplre ofyears ago, I enquired about putting my youngest on the policy to teach her to drive too. My insurance is just under £300 - to add her for the remaining 6 months of the year? Over 500 quid!

Apparently I can ride a motorcycle too:ohmy::eek:
Only up to a certain power, I believe (it used to be 125cc, but the specification may be different now).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surprised how many have an automatic licence, I'd assumed these were very unusual if not unheard of. What's the point?!

Not saying there's no point in getting an automatic car.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nearly 62 and am not going to learn now. I had about 50 lessons but was nowhere near ready to take the test. I asked the instructor how many more lessons I needed - when he said three months of daily lessons should do it, I did the maths and realised that it wasn't worth paying that much.

I've survived by cycling and public transport, bringing up two kids in the process, so it's not something I've missed.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Learning currently and he reckons the average age of his pupils he teaches is around 27.

Surprised how many have an automatic licence, I'd assumed these were very unusual if not unheard of. What's the point?!

Unfortunately being disabled I had no choice in the matter, I can't operate the clutch and accelerator at the same time. Given the choice though, I would of gone for a manual licence no doubt.
You might be surprised at just how good modern automatic gearboxes are, there's less true automatic gearboxes and more automated manuals these days.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wow . . . I guess because it's so expensive many people don't bother. I bought and built my first scooter when I was 15 . . . . riding soon after my 16th, couldn't afford a car until I was 19 though, funnily enough I still have the same type of scooter and car 28 years later ( theyre were classics then!) I think I did 7 or 8 lessons . . . . I guess you need a lot more now as the test is much more complex.

Learning currently and he reckons the average age of his pupils he teaches is around 27.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Car and bike, never thought |I would get an Automatic car but it makes driving so much easier on our busy roads these days and you always have the paddles to do a quick shift if you get the chance.

I'm a relatively new driver (2 years) so this is a genuine question - Do you not feel less in control, I can manage my speed by going up and down gears and at, for instance, a T Junction on a hill, I find it very easy to control with clutch and gas. Other half uses handbrake a lot more than me, maybe that's the answer.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Off to take my theory test this afternoon! I think I'll be alright, although I do have some gripes with some of the questions. This morning in a practice on an app I was asked "What is a kick back used for on an automatic car?". So I had no idea, I'm not driving an automatic. Turns out it's used for faster acceleration. Also questions about things like caravans. If you want to tow a bloody caravan take an extra caravan test!

Useless questions like these could be the difference between passing and failing. I'm top notch on road signs and etiquette etc, but these silly random ones could be my undoing!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Off to take my theory test this afternoon! I think I'll be alright, although I do have some gripes with some of the questions. This morning in a practice on an app I was asked "What is a kick back used for on an automatic car?". So I had no idea, I'm not driving an automatic. Turns out it's used for faster acceleration. Also questions about things like caravans. If you want to tow a bloody caravan take an extra caravan test!

Useless questions like these could be the difference between passing and failing. I'm top notch on road signs and etiquette etc, but these silly random ones could be my undoing!

Good luck!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Bike only since '67.Car driving's for women.:D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a relatively new driver (2 years) so this is a genuine question - Do you not feel less in control, I can manage my speed by going up and down gears and at, for instance, a T Junction on a hill, I find it very easy to control with clutch and gas. Other half uses handbrake a lot more than me, maybe that's the answer.

Possibly you are more in control in an auto. You're invariably in the correct gear for the circumstance (speed, incline). Leaving you with two fewer distractions, with no clutch use either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mrs T got done on questions about breaking distances while towing a caravan. My response was if it is in the syllabus you'd better learn it :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

My cousin did her test in an automatic because she just couldn't get the hang of using gears. She learnt to drive in the UK but was actually living in Germany, so all of her driving was on the other side of the road. I think she had time constraints too, given that she was only in the UK for short periods. She drove me somewhere when I went to visit her in Germany, not long after she'd passed her test. I think "nervous" is the word I'd use to describe her driving style, so I can fully understand why she didn't want the extra pressure of having to change gears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here