Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Closing Central Madrid To Cars Resulted In 9.5% Boost To Retail Spending

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cities which want to boost takings in shops and restaurants should restrict access for motorists, a new study suggests. Madrid closed its central business district to cars for the first time during the 2018 Christmas period and an analysis informed by Spain’s second largest bank has found that, year-on-year, till transactions were significantly boosted by the measure.

I guess Madrid isn't really a tourism city, like Brighton.

Still on the brighter side, nobody will be driving anywhere anyway:-

[tweet]1105014323984982016[/tweet]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read at the weekend that the ban on e-scooters, Segways and hover boards is being re-visited. Again, why need a car when you can cycle or hover board around?

(I never realised the UK had banned these....seems bizarre)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I read at the weekend that the ban on e-scooters, Segways and hover boards is being re-visited. Again, why need a car when you can cycle or hover board around?

(I never realised the UK had banned these....seems bizarre)

not that odd, aren't suitable for road, arent suitable for the pavement alongside pedestrians. not a UK only thing either, many have taken same view, its patchy with some countries allowing one type but not another.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not that odd, aren't suitable for road, arent suitable for the pavement alongside pedestrians. not a UK only thing either, many have taken same view, its patchy with some countries allowing one type but not another.

Which other countries/cities have banned them? I’ve often seen scooters and especially segways on my travels.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not sure I would ever want to visit Madrid again, probably the worst European City I have been to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Stop idling' outside schools, Public Health England chief tells drivers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47520848

Paul Cosford, medical director of Public Health England, told the BBC children should grow up "free from the scourge and harm of air pollution".

His comments came as PHE published a series of recommendations on how the government can improve air quality.

PHE said 28,000 to 36,000 deaths a year in the UK could be attributed to long-term exposure to air pollution.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally found it very boring and not much to do, it could be just me but just did not tick any boxes so to speak

Fair enough. It’s never been on my radar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's just a shame NOTHING can be done to stop all these cars killing people.

[tweet]1105048180524224512[/tweet]

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's just a shame NOTHING can be done to stop all these cars killing people.

[tweet]1105048180524224512[/tweet]

The UK population grew by about 2.5m in those 5 years, so if the number of deaths remained the same would that count as a percentage fall in the number of deaths ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The UK population grew by about 2.5m in those 5 years, so if the number of deaths remained the same would that count as a percentage fall in the number of deaths ?

That's alright then.

Just so long as we know 1,800 deaths I acceptable.

I'm sure all those effected will be reassured that it actually amounts to a drop in numbers.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
That's alright then.

Just so long as we know 1,800 deaths I acceptable.

I'm sure all those effected will be reassured that it actually amounts to a drop in numbers.

Don't be an a**e. Nobody said that at all. Stats, Stat Brother, stats.

I think you are probably also aware that we have one lowest road death tolls / 100,000 population in the world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't be an a**e. Nobody said that at all. Stats, Stat Brother, stats.

I think you are probably also aware that we have one lowest road death tolls / 100,000 population in the world.

So the fact we're one of the lowest makes it all ok.

#BeingAnArse :kiss:

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
So if we take it a bit further and ban cars from the UK it will be an economic boom time?
Get in, this economy stuff is a piece of wee wee.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Firstly i'm going to stick up for Madrid. Centre dripping in history and grand architecture. Loads of little hidden away squares with people drinking outside cafe bar things until the middle of the night (and not fighting), fantastic parks, and a huge football culture. Been there a few times and loved it.

Secondly, Madrid and Brighton aren't a direct comparison. Though the weight of evidence that taking cars out of cities improves cities is increasing, as far as I can tell, with each experiment which has been carried out. Can anyone opposed to more pedestrianisation, point to any recent studies where trying to reduce the number of cars has failed?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Over to you Jeremy ...

87793a72c0155002030ed5607e5d0db5.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here