Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Southern Rail.......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough if they won't move.

Southern trains rarely ****ing move on match days at the moment. Can I therefore start smacking Southen staff?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So I have a question. When I go to open my shop in Brighton I find a homeless person camped in front most mornings. They stink, leave an absolute mess, use shop entrances as toilets, refuse to move and swear at me because I've a business to run.
What would you do? And if you say 'ask them to leave nicely' what would you do on day 2 or 3 or 4 or a week later when once again you have to wash down the shop front.
Well?

The answer is to treat them as a human being. I wonder how quickly you would be on the street if your shop went bust ? I despise how people treat the homeless - when I'm out if I have a few spare minutes I buy them some food and drink and have a chat. You'll be amazed how many of them ended up on the street but you won't know if you just throw water over them. The answer IS NOT to treat them like scum. If genuinely you've done this then I hope your business goes bust - care to name your shop so I can avoid it ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Please.
Day 1 call the police. They don't turn up
Day 2 call the police. They don't turn up.
Get in the real world! This is Brighton where shoplifting is legal. A homeless person on the street has no chance of a response.

So call the council homeless department instead. A lack of resources for the police and council is no reason to assault someone.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get in the real world! This is Brighton where shoplifting is legal.

Shoplifting is legal? I think you need to get in the real world and stop letting your biases and prejudices cloud your mind.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’d like to think if it was my own business I’d first have a chat with a view to trying to help but if after several days and this approach wasn’t working then yes I’d sort it out myself.

Yes we need to look after the vulnerable but they also have to fair to others around them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So I have a question. When I go to open my shop in Brighton I find a homeless person camped in front most mornings. They stink, leave an absolute mess, use shop entrances as toilets, refuse to move and swear at me because I've a business to run.
What would you do? And if you say 'ask them to leave nicely' what would you do on day 2 or 3 or 4 or a week later when once again you have to wash down the shop front.
Well?
But the guy in the OP wasn't stopping the from opening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shoplifting is legal? I think you need to get in the real world and stop letting your biases and prejudices cloud your mind.

With respect, it sounds like [MENTION=21200]I remember the good times[/MENTION] is very much living in the real world. I certainly wouldn't want to have to have the problem he has described.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the guy in the OP wasn't stopping the from opening.

But a railway station isn't a public place in the same way that a street is. He is not a rail user, so has no business there, and if he has refused to move on when asked to do so he can have no complaint. And the staff have a duty to keep the station clear, and they have duties clean it too. In the unlikely event of being sacked, they would have a cast iron case for unfair dismissal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The answer is to treat them as a human being. I wonder how quickly you would be on the street if your shop went bust ? I despise how people treat the homeless - when I'm out if I have a few spare minutes I buy them some food and drink and have a chat. You'll be amazed how many of them ended up on the street but you won't know if you just throw water over them. The answer IS NOT to treat them like scum. If genuinely you've done this then I hope your business goes bust - care to name your shop so I can avoid it ?

Well, if he takes your advice, it will solve one thing at least - you will the be able to find out which shop is his. It'll be the one with the doorway that reeks of shit, piss and vomit, and then you won't be the only person who won't use it.
Asking them to move on and clearing up after them is not abusing the homeless. Those yobs who like to piss on them while they sleep, or beat them up for fun, are despicable. But people are entitled to ask them to move. I wonder how long you would be happy if people started using your doorway as a toilet?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well?

Bring them a cup of tea, maybe a bacon roll or something. Treat them with kindness and respect so that they don't see you as some nameless representation of the rich who think they are better than them because life hasn't kicked you in the balls yet, and then perhaps they'd treat your shopfront with respect and not use it as toilet, thus not needing to have it washed down every few days or a week later (though really, if you're only needing to was it once a week, that seems pretty standard).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But a railway station isn't a public place in the same way that a street is. He is not a rail user, so has no business there, and if he has refused to move on when asked to do so he can have no complaint. And the staff have a duty to keep the station clear, and they have duties clean it too. In the unlikely event of being sacked, they would have a cast iron case for unfair dismissal.

I doubt it....and according to most reports this seems to be the pavement outside the station anyway.....

Edit - both have been suspended (normal during an investigation, obviously)

https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk...URbCqbS7Cz14UVjPLELjfnayEQl2l5XBOTwKCtlSk-TAE

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here