Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can you remember prior to 1975? Three day week, power cuts, rabid inflation, economy dropping like a stone, having to go cap in hand to the IMF for loans at a punitive rate.

You mean while we were in the EEC ??

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh how I miss those lovely 80s years of interest rates well north of 10%. Great days.

Yes, down from 19%. It was part of the cure.

Problems we've had in the 80s 90s, and millenium have been down to our government, not Europe.

Remain had a very poor campaign, taking a lot for granted, but should have emphasised the benefits far more, like lowering the working week, equal pay, cleaning up our beaches, grants to poorer areas for development.
The EU offered us money when we had the dreadful floods a few years ago, but Cameron turned it down. I wonder why? Maybe he and his Tory cronies didn't want the UK to realise how much the EU helps us.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
:lolol:

You’re getting a bit [MENTION=14132]Two Professors[/MENTION] here. He also uses allusion in this way. Why did you feel the need to add this sentence?

And for those of us who haven't any idea what you are gibbering about........

english for breximpletons.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thats because you keep talking the EU down, if you just got behind it and believed in the spirit of Europeans it would be brilliant.

The sooner we get behind and beyond the EU,the better.It will be an epic crash when the Euro fails altogether.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Originally Posted by [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION]
"We must determine whether we want full membership, the euro, schengen, handing over control of the country’s fiscal leavers to the ECB or not. If we don’t we walk away, fully out.

One of the major problems remainers have is dealing with this question, and it’s why Clegg and others scoffed at questions like the EU army etc. This takes the electorate for fools, the pro EU constituency need to shit or get off the pot, some on here like Bold Seagull are clear that is what they want.......what about you?

Anything other than dealing with this question is patronising procrastination.
"

I'm not sure I'm clear on what I want? :shrug:

I agree with your point that we should decide on your point above, but how do we do that? And it isn't just remainers who have major problems dealing with this either, it's not like we are seeing a consistent approach from leavers either.

The 2017 General Election really was the mandate for the kind of Brexit we wanted delivered, and shock horror the government majority shrank and leavers voted in their thousands for Labour's Customs Union / single market manifesto ticket. The country first told Parliament what they wanted in the referendum, they then told them they had no idea what that should be in the election. That's not necessarily what I want, but that election mandate cannot be ignored.

I don't think it takes the electorate for fools, I think this is a seminal historical political moment and the realisation that our political constitution cannot deal with such a profound juxtaposition of a referendum against representational politics.

I actually have some sympathy with a lot of the politicians because they are in a position of a landmark historical moment for the country, and they are being forced to vote against, in most cases, what they believe in. When a politician votes through the whip or whatever else in something they might have previously not supported, we call them dishonest, lacking integrity etc. In this case, we are asking the reverse, that to deliver the people's will, they need to vote against their beliefs. We can be really cynical about it, but I don't know how I would feel going back to my constituency, believing businesses are going to fail or struggle, job losses etc. and voting for something I truly thought was going to make us worse off. Yes I have delivered on a referendum result, but have I delivered for my constituents, will they have faith that I will vote for what I believe in in the future?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The sooner we get behind and beyond the EU,the better.It will be an epic crash when the Euro fails altogether.

That is fine, but if there is an epic crash and the EU fails, then the world will be plunged into a deep recession as well. In or out, only an idiot would surely want our biggest market to fail? It would be like getting divorced, getting half or more, but hoping your ex-husband goes bankrupt and you don't get a penny. Yeah, that showed him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes, down from 19%. It was part of the cure.

Problems we've had in the 80s 90s, and millenium have been down to our government, not Europe.

Remain had a very poor campaign, taking a lot for granted, but should have emphasised the benefits far more, like lowering the working week, equal pay, cleaning up our beaches, grants to poorer areas for development.
The EU offered us money when we had the dreadful floods a few years ago, but Cameron turned it down. I wonder why? Maybe he and his Tory cronies didn't want the UK to realise how much the EU helps us.

I can imagine it is relatively harder to motivate people to vote for nothing to change than it is for something to change.

Remain primarily took the easy option of suggesting, and exaggerating the bad effects of leaving, rather than the positives of remaining to try and differentiate. Leave took the deliberately disingenuous option of allowing people to believe in a herd of happy unicorns galloping to their rescue to try and differentiate.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think most people know I’m referring to your lying.

I very much doubt it.I think that is an illusion in your rather fevered mind,rather than allusion,but you carry on as you enjoy it so much.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
On R4 Today prog Mairead McGuinness, VP of European Parliament said that "no Deal" would be disastrous for ROI and the EU. Therefore IMO we should tell the EU that we are going for a No Deal Brexit and see how long it takes them to bottle it.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Thanks [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION]. I was commenting on the German example where they have a concrete system in place but this sounds promising:

If the Withdrawal Agreement is not signed and ratified before 29 March 2019, the Government of Spain will provide a solution that in any event guarantee the legal security of British citizens and the members of their families resident in Spain before the exit date, taking into account the announcement made by the UK in this respect and the European Union guidelines.

However, the guidance further on talks about "In the case of an exit without agreement, this document [NIE] will allow you to continue to reside in Spain and obtain the documents required by the immigration regime". It would be nice to know what this process entailed.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thanks [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION]. I was commenting on the German example where they have a concrete system in place but this sounds promising:

The Germans have always been good with concrete.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On R4 Today prog Mairead McGuinness, VP of European Parliament said that "no Deal" would be disastrous for ROI and the EU. Therefore IMO we should tell the EU that we are going for a No Deal Brexit and see how long it takes them to bottle it.

What if the EU see that it would be disastrous for us, and are waiting for us to bottle it?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Huh? I genuinely have no idea what gammon means outside of the context of “gammon faced Brexiteers “. I’m afraid anything beyond that is your own issue. Heaped atop a mountain of other issues by the look of it.
If you’d care to enlighten me as to what other meaning “gammon” has , we can have a discussion. Past that, there is nothing I can do for you.
I’m off a night shift and going to bed so I’ll look forward to your response later.

NNSTTBFNTC

Hiding behind your own ignorance, goodnight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here