Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cheap train tickets to West Brom

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
I tried to follow NFL many years ago. LA Raiders were my team (chosen because I had friends there). The problem was you have franchises and didn't seem to have to local bonding that clubs have here. When they became the Oakland side I seemed to lose interest worrying that roots were being torn up. That said, I still look for their results.

Exactly, and that's ONE of the many reasons I don't support an MLS club. I totally understand that, and also one of the reasons I would never just pick a major club. Sports should be about community, period. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of people in certain colored shirts playing children's games. I'd rather be involved with a small club, so I can see how it's woven into the civic fabric of the place that they're from (and come on a place like this and chat with all you fine Brighton area folk, and read the banter about the area and the role the Albion play in it), even if I'm not from there, than just jump on the Man U or Arsenal bandwagon, and maybe never so much as speak to someone who grew up in Manchester or North London. I can get immensely closer to BHAFC, the heart and soul of the club, than I could a big club.

The franchise model of MLS stunted the growth of soccer in the United States, and we just saw the result. The scary thing is is that most MLS fans support the current model, and act like people who support a promotion and relegation open system are fantasy driven lunatics who just don't understand the complexities of soccer here. Well, we've spent the first 21 years of major professional soccer here rewarding mediocrity, and leaving out all but 16 or 17 markets in a country of 350 million people.

The minor rant aside, yes, your concerns are absolutely valid.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So I've done some sums. Virgin is £16 (boy is that cheap). New St to Hawthorns £2.60. Southern from my town to Euston £22
Total around £40 so why do more go by unreliable train than Blues Away coach or even by Car (four up).

Blue away will generally always be cheaper than the train. I use them a lot getting on at Polegate but given the choice of the freedom of the train compared to the coach I pick the train. What makes my decision is if there are any rail replacement buses (which there is for West brom for example) and ease of getting to the ground from the station rather than cost. The big problem coming home by train is if there is any danger of missing the one you are booked on with your advanced ticket which could end up being very expensive.

Only minus for blues away this season following the change in coach company is we may have Wi-Fi on the coach but we are no longer allowed the hot pies.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nothing more than that I come from a Shore resort area very similar to Brighton. I don't have a club I can identify with here at home (yet; the game at the pro level grows here every year). I've always followed the EPL and the pro game here and abroad (I'm heavily involved with the sport, as I make the bulk of my living coaching goalkeepers), but never really had a club I was able to attach myself to. I've always liked Brighton and ALWAYS used them on Fifa, as I was in love with the crest because it had a seagull on it (going back to the former blue and red crest). With their promotion and my continual longing for a club, I thought that this year was better than any to get myself on board permanently.

I know it probably seems a shallow reason, considering it's a relatively small community club that you guys all grew up living and dying with, but I'm very proud of where I come from, and see the Seagulls as our closest English equivalent. I certainly couldn't just pick one of the big 6 out of thin air and expect I'd be able to develop any kind of real passion for them.

But hell, all of my favorite American sports teams have tons of fans abroad, I think it's ok for me to support one overseas team myself! And get used to it, with every passing successful week in the PL, the Albion will be exposed to more and more international fans, and could become increasingly popular, especially in some countries where the sport is growing.

Welcome to Brighton :)

:unclesam:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So I've done some sums. Virgin is £16 (boy is that cheap). New St to Hawthorns £2.60. Southern from my town to Euston £22
Total around £40 so why do more go by unreliable train than Blues Away coach or even by Car (four up).

Unreliable train - it's like you've never been on the M25/M40.

Trains are more fun. :cheers:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't imagine how easy it is for London fans.lot!

East Midlands fans have it much easier than even London fans - Derby, Forest, Leicester have about 75% of their away matches within an hours train journey. The majority of Brighton fans cannot even get to London in that time.

Exactly, and that's ONE of the many reasons I don't support an MLS club. I totally understand that, and also one of the reasons I would never just pick a major club. Sports should be about community, period. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of people in certain colored shirts playing children's games. I'd rather be involved with a small club, so I can see how it's woven into the civic fabric of the place that they're from (and come on a place like this and chat with all you fine Brighton area folk, and read the banter about the area and the role the Albion play in it), even if I'm not from there, than just jump on the Man U or Arsenal bandwagon, and maybe never so much as speak to someone who grew up in Manchester or North London. I can get immensely closer to BHAFC, the heart and soul of the club, than I could a big club.

The franchise model of MLS stunted the growth of soccer in the United States, and we just saw the result. The scary thing is is that most MLS fans support the current model, and act like people who support a promotion and relegation open system are fantasy driven lunatics who just don't understand the complexities of soccer here. Well, we've spent the first 21 years of major professional soccer here rewarding mediocrity, and leaving out all but 16 or 17 markets in a country of 350 million people.

The minor rant aside, yes, your concerns are absolutely valid.

Its a local club for local people:hilton: Oh alright then we can squeeze you in:rolleyes:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just got return tickers for £16 euston to New Street. £96 for 6 of us.

Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION]

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
East Midlands fans have it much easier than even London fans - Derby, Forest, Leicester have about 75% of their away matches within an hours train journey. The majority of Brighton fans cannot even get to London in that time.

If only! Having lived in the East Midlands for 15 years, the train network is poor in comparison with many areas. London from Derby is the best part of two hours. The north-west is difficult to get to as you have to skirt the Peak District. I'd say that London based clubs have the easiest train travel by a mile.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thanks for all that info, everyone. There are certainly benefits to living in a small country. I can't imagine how easy it is for London fans. For some perspective, coming from the densest part of the US, there are only 5 teams in hockey, for instance, that I can go see and be back that same night from where I currently live in Philly, and that's absolutely the maximum. There are only a few other places in the country that one away team is close enough to get to and from in one day.

Yup, I've been a huge Devils fan my whole life, grew up in Jersey about an hour south of the arenas. If you went about ten years ago, you were there for one of the final seasons at the old Continental Airlines Arena. We played our first game at Prudential Center 10 years ago as of late October. Much different experience, our current home is in downtown Newark, as opposed to the middle of a massive parking lot!

Oh wow, I didn't even realise that the devils had moved! My wife has relations in Connecticut and because they knew l was keen on hockey got some tickets and drove me to the home game against the Buffalo Bills. Would it have bben the season after they won the Stanley Cup?. Anyway the devils lost 7-1! Afterwards they bought me a souvenir, a jersey with the number 30 Brodeur on the back. Still have it in my drawer!

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Few of us going up for our game on the 2nd December, Good away day in my book. Decent pubs near the station in Birmingham, Easy access via the tram to West Brom.

If you like real ales or just decent beer try this place out - http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

£14 return Marylebone to Brum using Chilton trains, Takes about 30 mins longer than Virgin trains out of Euston. Virgin trains have been a bit of a mess when we have used them over the last couple of seasons, ended up sitting on the floor a couple of times on the way home due to the trains being over sold. Even got refused entry on to the train as it was packed at Liverpool despite having allocated seats, Worth looking the slower service out of Marylebone if you are planning on going up for your game.

Jan 30, 2008
Nothing more than that I come from a Shore resort area very similar to Brighton. I don't have a club I can identify with here at home (yet; the game at the pro level grows here every year). I've always followed the EPL and the pro game here and abroad (I'm heavily involved with the sport, as I make the bulk of my living coaching goalkeepers), but never really had a club I was able to attach myself to. I've always liked Brighton and ALWAYS used them on Fifa, as I was in love with the crest because it had a seagull on it (going back to the former blue and red crest). With their promotion and my continual longing for a club, I thought that this year was better than any to get myself on board permanently.

I know it probably seems a shallow reason, considering it's a relatively small community club that you guys all grew up living and dying with, but I'm very proud of where I come from, and see the Seagulls as our closest English equivalent. I certainly couldn't just pick one of the big 6 out of thin air and expect I'd be able to develop any kind of real passion for them.

But hell, all of my favorite American sports teams have tons of fans abroad, I think it's ok for me to support one overseas team myself! And get used to it, with every passing successful week in the PL, the Albion will be exposed to more and more international fans, and could become increasingly popular, especially in some countries where the sport is growing.
it's called glory hunting
regards
DR

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Oh wow, I didn't even realise that the devils had moved! My wife has relations in Connecticut and because they knew l was keen on hockey got some tickets and drove me to the home game against the Buffalo Bills. Would it have bben the season after they won the Stanley Cup?. Anyway the devils lost 7-1! Afterwards they bought me a souvenir, a jersey with the number 30 Brodeur on the back. Still have it in my drawer!

Our most recent cup was 2003, also won it in 2000 and 1995. You got to see one of the best teams of the era, despite that that season didn't exactly go great, we still had the core of those championship teams. Those were the glory years. We hung around above average for many years after, made a surprise run to the cup finals in 2012, and have been one of the worst teams in the league since then. We're looking much improved this year, a lot of young players making an impact.

We actually have one or two British fans that hang around on our forum (which isn't nearly as active as NSC is. There might be 20 regular posters). But I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, we're a small team (relatively, considering the franchise model), and we don't get a lot of attention, even in our home state sometimes. Hang on to that jersey, Martin Brodeur is widely considered the best goaltender of all time (and I promise it's not a bias; I honestly don't care for the guy).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Our most recent cup was 2003, also won it in 2000 and 1995. You got to see one of the best teams of the era, despite that that season didn't exactly go great, we still had the core of those championship teams. Those were the glory years. We hung around above average for many years after, made a surprise run to the cup finals in 2012, and have been one of the worst teams in the league since then. We're looking much improved this year, a lot of young players making an impact.

We actually have one or two British fans that hang around on our forum (which isn't nearly as active as NSC is. There might be 20 regular posters). But I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, we're a small team (relatively, considering the franchise model), and we don't get a lot of attention, even in our home state sometimes. Hang on to that jersey, Martin Brodeur is widely considered the best goaltender of all time (and I promise it's not a bias; I honestly don't care for the guy).
Can't believe you are a goalie coach. Far too articulate [emoji6]

Welcome, BTW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well maybe the devils will have another limey visitor to their forum soon! Am l right in thinking that Martin's younger brother or son is a goaltender their too now? Canadian l think?

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
Can't believe you are a goalie coach. Far too articulate [emoji6]

Welcome, BTW.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Haha, I won't even tell you what we say about field players!

Thank you!
Well maybe the devils will have another limey visitor to their forum soon! Am l right in thinking that Martin's younger brother or son is a goaltender their too now? Canadian l think?

The Devils drafted his son Anthony back in 2013 I believe. It was a cool moment, it was a late round pick, we hosted the draft in Jersey that year, and they let Marty make the announcement. That was pretty much the pinnacle of his career. He was invited to Devils camp one year, and once with the Maple Leafs, but his entire involvement in the NHL was pretty much a professional courtesy to Marty. He played top level junior hockey (which is where most of the top Canadian kids come out of), and did pretty poorly. He's now playing in the Canadian college ranks, which isn't where future NHLers end up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here