Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not open thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Supporters' Club held it's AGM last night (Wednesday). Paul Barber was in attendance; the latest newsletter (published today) includes a brief report:-

Paul Barber:-

"Gus had a contract, we expected him to honour it, he didn't want to. He was an asset to the club and the club needs to protect its assets. Club has to come first. Any "court" action by Gus will be private arbitration."

"Gus Poyet was not sacked live on TV but headlines damaged the club. Club did not know he was on TV. On that Sunday, Tony Bloom met Gus face-to-face several hours before Match of the Day and he didn't say he would be on TV. There were legal reasons for the timing, and the timing was known to Gus and his legal advisers. Would we really take a decision that would damage the club deliberately, or humiliate someone deliberately? Process had reached a point where it could not go on any longer."

Barber is also quoted as saying that the Queen's Road ticket office closed as it wasn't economic to run - it sold very few tickets. Trade there has been dropping and the shop will close next year. There may be another city-centre shop but it won't be in Queen's Road.

They bought the LED advertising boards this year to beat Financial Fair Play restrictions.

They also tried to get a concert from The Who, but there was not a large enough "window" in the summer.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Thanks for that sir. I look forward to reading it in full in the excellent monthly newsletter

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Who at The Amex.

More like Barber clearly going for 'I can do no wrong' in some peoples does.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not

so, club shop in Queen Road to close// so no other way to get tickets, and avoid booking fees..

The guy has been brought in on a brief to help us beat financial fair play. If he does that right, it means we'll have more to spend on the playing budget as he'll be saving us money elsewhere, leading to a more successful team.

Some people just like to pick up in anything remotely negative. Look at the bigger picture.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Who at The Amex.

More like Barber clearly going for 'I can do no wrong' in some peoples does.

More like 'We won't get fooled again' according to some on here. Just need the Magic Bus to sort out transport problems now

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The guy has been brought in on a brief to help us beat financial fair play. If he does that right, it means we'll have more to spend on the playing budget as he'll be saving us money elsewhere, leading to a more successful team.

Some people just like to pick up in anything remotely negative. Look at the bigger picture.

Too true

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Okay, the Gus stuff..

I'm a little confused. Here it is implied that Gus was sacked because he 'didn't want to honour his contract'. i.e. the club didn't want to risk him leaving part way through this season. That sounds fair enough to me, but elsewhere we've been told that the club sacked Gus for 'gross misconduct'. These two accounts don't really tally, other than the club has found some 'gross misconduct' that was earlier deemed not worthy of instant suspension. Further supports the theory that this is all money-related, want him gone but don't want to pay compo.

Ah well. Perhaps we all suspected this anyway. Thanks for the info, don't want to get into another Gus binfest. Here's hoping B.W. doesn't open this thread :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay, the Gus stuff..

I'm a little confused. Here it is implied that Gus was sacked because he 'didn't want to honour his contract'. i.e. the club didn't want to risk him leaving part way through this season. That sounds fair enough to me, but elsewhere we've been told that the club sacked Gus for 'gross misconduct'. These two accounts don't really tally, other than the club has found some 'gross misconduct' that was earlier deemed not worthy of instant suspension. Further supports the theory that this is all money-related, want him gone but don't want to pay compo.

Ah well. Perhaps we all suspected this anyway. Thanks for the info, don't want to get into another Gus binfest. Here's hoping B.W. doesn't open this thread :lol:

"Didn't want to honour it" could mean anything. His refusal to deal with player contracts is not honouring his contract. I took this particular comment to be quite vague.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks for the report.

I'm staggered the club didn't know Gus was going on MOTD. Half NSCs posters seemed to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very disappointed the club will not have a presence in the city centre.

Okay, the Gus stuff..

Indeed. It's a very frequent occurrence for football clubs or football managers to want to terminate a contract early. They nearly always sit down and negotiate the terms of the departure, guided by what was agreed when the contract was signed. 'Gross misconduct' is a device that avoids this process, but it leaves the manager's reputation very severely damaged. Similarly, an unfounded charge of 'gross misconduct' will damage the club's reputation.

There's plenty still to play for.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
"Didn't want to honour it" could mean anything. His refusal to deal with player contracts is not honouring his contract. I took this particular comment to be quite vague.

Fair enough, I didn't hear him say it. True about the 'not-dealing-with-contracts', although I have always been sure that this was a symptom of the problems between Gus and Tony, and impending suspension, not the cause of them.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
More like 'We won't get fooled again' according to some on here. Just need the Magic Bus to sort out transport problems now

"I can't explain!"

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That is certainly a shame to be honest. He does seem to leave the door open to a small presence somewhere

He said that Queens Road wasn't the right place for a shop. I would have thought it was fairly well placed as people pass it coming down from the station to the beach, and near the clock tower which is fairly central. Churchill Square rents are going to be high, so my interpretation of his comments are that the club are looking for another town centre premises but cheaper.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He said that Queens Road wasn't the right place for a shop. I would have thought it was fairly well placed as people pass it coming down from the station to the beach, and near the clock tower which is fairly central. Churchill Square rents are going to be high, so my interpretation of his comments are that the club are looking for another town centre premises but cheaper.

Plenty of empty shops on London Road - don't reckon that's very expensive

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here