Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone done a history of their family investigation?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do see that.

One sadness is that my family name of Wilcock dies out with me and my brother. We have both had girls, 2 and 3 and unless they marry and keep their name, the line on my dad's side from him, dies out.

Same with me and my sisters sadly...There was great hope I was a boy, name of James was already chosen...they got me :cute::cute:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was done for us on my Dad’s Dad side by American distant relatives (Yanks are obsessed). That side of my family were/are based in Batley in the West Riding of Yorkshire going back to the 18th century. We lost two relatives (brothers) at Passchendaele in 1917. I’ve seen their regimental records at Edinburgh Castle.

In free moments over the last 15 years, I’ve had bashes at constructing my other three grandparents lines, with some success. Ancestry.co.uk (based in Utah) is amazing, but you still have to do the leg work, which is especially hard for common surnames. Those three lines were all based until circa 1880 in Sussex and Kent farming villages, then they moved to an urban life in fast growing towns such as Brighton.

I’ll have another look at it one day in the future when I’m retired.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My wife has been doing her family tree, found out most of them are still living in it!

Joking aside, 1840's census plays havoc with the line. They were all called James or Nathaniel, all had 30 odd kids as they lost a few to infantile disorders between censuses(censi?). Men were in various trades, farm hands and general labourers. The women were mainly in service, scandal abounds with children out of wedlock.
My side would be nigh on impossible for two main reasons. 1/ My dad was adopted(probably a child out of wedlock, 1914-15) and 2/ I look to the future, not the past

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yep have done mine, got over 1400 people who are in my tree. From Devon to Hertfordshire, mainly London and of course Sussex. Wider afield, USA, Australia, Brazil. Boer war to WW1 & 2, the pacific (usa) and those that were transported to convict camps. Fascinating stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same with me and my sisters sadly...There was great hope I was a boy, name of James was already chosen...they got me :cute::cute:

Me too, although I was an only child from my Mum & Dad's marriage (they divorced when I was 8) They were both disappointed that I wasn't a boy.

Btw PO, Antiques Roadshow came from Piece Hall in Halifax today.

My paternal grandfather was born in Lewes, and all his predecessors lived in Laughton & Frampton as agricultural workers for over 250 years.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Ja, Ich bin from both Sussex und Preußen. Aber the part von deutschland kommen wir aus jest teraz w Polsce.

Yes, I am from both Sussex and Prussia. But the part of Germany we come from is now in Poland.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I suppose that when you discover that some of your family were extras on the set of the Deliverance, then certain white lies start to appear :lolol:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I suppose that when you discover that some of your family were extras on the set of the Deliverance, then certain white lies start to appear :lolol:

Worse yet, Trump supporters! It happened to me this week.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
0Traced mine back a bit ten years ago, but thought it costly. Are there cheaper ways of doing it now?

Alas, one great grandfather was a wood cutter from Hove who begat a domestic servant (my granny) and on my dad's side, Londoners yet originally from somewhere near Worthing. My genes clearly wunt be druv out of Sussex. Plenty of freemasons though, if I'm on the level, nudge nudge wink wink.

(I am curious but it is a sort of pointless vanity project. Most people of African heritage via the west indies here will find a tale of tragedy and woe....the rest of us, if we could trace back to the time of the Romans/Vikings pick you era and region would doubtless find they are the descendents of someone ....disadvantaged. :shrug:

The Ancestry site is good if you have some recent details of your family history.

Although, looking at mine, it seems that even some official records are incorrect and even that some folk weren't sure of their own ages when it came to census time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I do see that.

One sadness is that my family name of Wilcock dies out with me and my brother. We have both had girls, 2 and 3 and unless they marry and keep their name, the line on my dad's side from him, dies out.

I wouldn’t worry too much, same my family. Names throughout history are always dying out. And it’s just a name at the end of the day. The really important stuff is you’ve got 4 great kids between you and they’ll hopefully have families of their own one day - making you proud grandpop and uncle robot! :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
0Traced mine back a bit ten years ago, but thought it costly. Are there cheaper ways of doing it now?

Alas, one great grandfather was a wood cutter from Hove who begat a domestic servant (my granny) and on my dad's side, Londoners yet originally from somewhere near Worthing. My genes clearly wunt be druv out of Sussex. Plenty of freemasons though, if I'm on the level, nudge nudge wink wink.

(I am curious but it is a sort of pointless vanity project. Most people of African heritage via the west indies here will find a tale of tragedy and woe....the rest of us, if we could trace back to the time of the Romans/Vikings pick you era and region would doubtless find they are the descendents of someone ....disadvantaged. :shrug:

I believe you can access all these sites for free at your local library. Neighbour told me that as he’s doing his currently. You have not been charged for this top tip!

Sister inlaw has done alot of work and we have connections to the person who attempted to kill queen Victoria also Irish mercenary in Bolivia. Also connected with the frenchy that nipped off to find the prusssians which help tip the battle of Waterloo. We did a bit of land grabbing abroad and set up a protestant church in Ireland. Seems we have been causing a nuisance of ourselves for quite a while.???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've thought about it loads, now I live here I'm curious as to where I originally came from , if you get my drift...
You were made by a child in a factory in China.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sister inlaw has done alot of work and we have connections to the person who attempted to kill queen Victoria also Irish mercenary in Bolivia. Also connected with the frenchy that nipped off to find the prusssians which help tip the battle of Waterloo. We did a bit of land grabbing abroad and set up a protestant church in Ireland. Seems we have been causing a nuisance of ourselves for quite a while.???

Grouchy?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm actually Australian, so what I meant was somewhere back in the whiles, there is a possibility I'm English, probably a Crystal Palace bread thiefs great great great granddaughter for my sins, god forbid...

Oh, dear, I feel your pain - I seem to be related to Pompey cousins. Can't imagine where that came gene from. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here