Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Statement of Intent

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It is clear that TB isn't in this for the short haul or, necessarily, to make a profit out of his ownership.

It's fairly clear that he sees retaining Premier League status as vital and it follows that they'll be ambitions beyond this going forward.

With our ground capacity set and limitations on the transport infrastructure what do we do next? Most "established" Premier League clubs have looked to or expanded their grounds and 60k seems to be the target, so would it be possible that we'd look to move again? I'd guess we'd never be able to expand The Amex on the current site to anywhere near 60,000.

Don’t take drugs kids or you’ll end up posting stuff like this.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought the next step was a hotel on the site? That seems to have died a quiet death.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Established clubs have 60k?

View attachment 110033
Vicerage Road? I thought Watford was a nice place - this must have passed me by.

51Aqt0jXLqL.jpg

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Hmm, Bournemouth seem to be becoming fairly established with a 11k stadium and Leicester won the league with a ground not much bigger than ours. And how does Sunderland with their 49k capacity fit in with being a 3rd tier side?

We currently lose money for every fan that turns up for a game, we would make more money out of attendances if we were still at Withdean or Gillingham

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
you don't need a 60k stadium to become established in the premier league, and frankly it'd require a sustained period of success before we'd be able to fill a stadium that size on a regular basis anyway - if you can't fill it it isn't worth spending the money on building.

Everton will never do it ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmm, Bournemouth seem to be becoming fairly established with a 11k stadium and Leicester won the league with a ground not much bigger than ours. And how does Sunderland with their 49k capacity fit in with being a 3rd tier side?

We currently lose money for every fan that turns up for a game, we would make more money out of attendances if we were still at Withdean or Gillingham

The last bit is not true, is it...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
30k is perfect for us. Normally able to sell out, most people who want a ticket can get one and, when the inevitable happens, it isn't too large for the Championship.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you think we would get attendances around 60k per week you are deluded.

I believe as teams establish themselves are Premier League clubs and their awareness grows in Asia clubs are even more likely to get football tourists and draw from a wider catchment area, so it's possible in the future?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
We dont need to expand. Funds from extra fans are pennies compared to sky money.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe as teams establish themselves are Premier League clubs and their awareness grows in Asia clubs are even more likely to get football tourists and draw from a wider catchment area, so it's possible in the future?

I dunno if you're on a wind-up, but I'll indulge.

We could be in the Premier League for 10-15 years and not get a significant following in Asia. We are not and never will be a club the size of Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal. We don't have the history. We don't have the pedigree. We have never won anything, nor are we ever likely to, aside from (at best) maybe a League Cup or an FA Cup some time if we get a favourable run - and even that would never be anywhere NEAR enough for us to "find" an additional 30,000 regular fans + tourists to necessitate building a stadium twice the size of the Amex.

We're BHA. We are never going to be one of the "big six", or anything approaching. And I'm absolutely fine with that. The Amex is perfect for our needs and always will be.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

We could be in the Premier League for 10-15 years and not get a significant following in Asia. We are not and never will be a club the size of Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal. We don't have the history. We don't have the pedigree. We have never won anything, nor are we ever likely to, aside from (at best) maybe a League Cup or an FA Cup some time if we get a favourable run - and even that would never be anywhere NEAR enough for us to "find" an additional 30,000 regular fans + tourists to necessitate building a stadium twice the size of the Amex.

We're BHA. We are never going to be one of the "big six", or anything approaching. And I'm absolutely fine with that. The Amex is perfect for our needs and always will be.

To be fair though, i doubt Man City did, until...

We get a gazllionaire in charge and buy hazard and mbappe and de jong, win the champions league, we'll be hoovering up those Asian fans.

Obviously ridiculous, but man city fans would have said the same when they were in the third division. At some point its inevitable one of these hugely wealthy types will buy up a non-big 6 club and do a Blackburn Mk II.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

.....I don't want us to be. Last thing I want to do is go to a 60,000 seater stadium that's almost silent and full of tourists (yes, that's you Arsenal). Very happy with plans for steady, incremental progress - aim in the next few seasons has to be to get to a position where we can relatively comfortably survive in the PL, give the top 6 a bloody nose now and again, play some decent football, bring through our youngsters and have the occasional decent cup run. Any ambitions beyond that are donkey's years away for me (maybe not TB though)

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
"Most established clubs"...that part of what you said is obviously the next step. We are not established yet. One step at a time.

Though, this does spark the debate of when does one become an established club? Palarse and Bmuff are arguably established clubs but still relegation is just over there shoulder..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here