Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To my mind, CH's greatest achievement was getting the injury ravaged side automatic promotion after the near miss.

Last edited:

TB wants progression and probably doesn’t share your thoughts.
He also wanted progression from Poyet but we got a weaker team with Oscar, then a much weaker team with Sami. Pointless pretending these are one way bets.

He can help his bet pay off by giving him better players, I hope this is what will happen

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm getting a bit angry about this message that is doing the rounds unchallenged...

“He has helped transform Brighton & Hove Albion, from fighting relegation to League One."

Yes, we were headed down the table, thanks to the disastrous tenure of Hyypia. However, the squad that Chris inherited was not broken. We had competed for play off finals in previous seasons under Gus and Oscar. The players, backroom and club management were all strong.

There is this underlying idea going around that Chris single-handily rescued the club from oblivion and took them into the Premier League. That simply isn't true, and yet it's easy twitter feed.

Chris played a hugely important role in a club full of talented and committed individuals who have brought Brighton its success to date. I'll be ever thankful for him, but he did not do it alone and he did not walk into a club that was in free fall.

Agreed, but the club pretty much WAS fighting relegation when he joined, so technically correct. Maybe a bit of artistic license as he didn't exactly do a Steve Gritt, but correct from one way of looking at it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Had enough of this toing and froing about the sacking of C.H.. After all, there have been numerous threads about the rights and wrongs concerning the departure our erstwhile manager and surely everybody who wanted to have their say has had ample opportunity to do so.
We don't all agree and never will, but surely it is time to move on and look forward to a new season under an exciting new manager,and so it is a tad disappointing that the doomsayers amongst us are already saying/ hinting ' big mistake, we'll go down under this unknown fellow'.

And yet you keep commenting on the new ones... :ffsparr:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can we get one thing straight re that season we stayed up. It was Blackburn beating Millwall on the Tuesday nite before we were due to play Boro in the final game of the season (no not that one) that kept us up. It was up until that point highly probable that we may have had to get a result to stay up and with our form going into that game I doubt we would have got it.

Apart from a brief purple patch in Jan where we beat Leeds, mugged Derby and scraped past Birmingham we started to stink out from Feb (winning one in March Blackburn A thanks to an OGGY/O'Grady goal) so its was a familiar pattern to the back end of this season. Defend, defend, defend, zero shots, let alone on target and relying on another team to dig us out the shit.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
And yet you keep commenting on the new ones... :ffsparr:

Another idiotic reply, GB.
I am trying to 'suggest' that we look forward and not backwards as it has , surely, all been said!
I think you are stalking and bullying me, and me a pensioner, as well; I am really scared!:wink::lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
What is the obsession with ‘the target’? Many people at work have targets, meet them and can still be deemed to be performing poorly. Even if these other reasons / issues weren’t spelled out in the agreement or in the company policy etc. I could definitely deliver everything I’m asked and then get let go for the way I go about it.

If you hired a builder to do your extension, and he was well on track until Christmas, but then the last few months were a disaster, and the thing barely scraped over the line. Despite the work being done to time, budget and just about with the quality you agreed, you may still decide you don’t want him to do your loft conversion next year after all. The builder might be surprised, but he really shouldn’t be!

It’s really that simple. Whatever the reason, Tony and the decision makers feel the overall project had a better chance with The Doctor, so Chris was let go. It’s irrelevant whether he met the publicly-stated targets. I also suspect that at the moment it’s irrelevant what the football looks like, we need to survive, improve, progress.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I’ve been told the firing took place at the end of season ‘pow wow’ on that Monday morning and he genuinely had know clue it was coming.....

Clueless then , even at the bitter end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We’ll leave it there, as you’re being childish.

Ok. Perhaps because he'd been given support publicly by the board leading up to the Man City game, perhaps because he was already preparing for a summer of recruitment, perhaps because he'd already started that by giving Bong a new contract, and perhaps because although he'd obviously felt under pressure during that last 5 months of disappointing results - he'd convinced himself that he'd made the case to Bloom/Barber for being given more time and a strengthened squad for 2019/20. He'd also met their target of keeping the club up.
Nobody is saying that Bloom didn't have a case for ending things (3 wins in 23 etc) but Hughton disappointed/surprised. Well yes. Weren't you ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Dignified,as ever.Waiting for the biography to be published.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here