Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MOTD

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Nope, if I see it again and my view is changed I will happily say so on here.

In that case they probably still have a job for you at the FA, as someone to test whether a prospective buyer of a football club fulfills all the requirements of the fit and proper person test

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely if its a choice between awarding a ban for cheating, affecting the PL product or allowing cheating to continue, affecting the PL product, i'd rather get rid of cheating than tolerate it. We have a sport now where cheats prosper and what sort of moral example is that to show the world? So much for the old adage, cheaters never prosper.

Do we apply the same sort of rules to other parts of life? should we not punish some criminals if their worth to society is deemed high enough that keeping them in their current role is preferable than jailing them for their actions? - for example, a recent 24 hours in Police custody had a surgeon who made a false insurance claim and was caught and sentenced to jail. Would it be better if he wasn't prosecuted because it means he could continue as a surgeon, helping patients? but if he had a less important job, they should happily give him a long sentence?

Surely it shouldn't matter who you are, if you act dishonestly and are caught in the act, you should face punishment and it shouldn't be influenced by how much of an impact your loss will have on your overall profession

I admire your enthusiasm Sir - We are actually I agreement on things. I just don't think diving warrants long bans. If there is a red card for it then it will stop, the same way bookings for answering the ref back has eradicated a lot of that. You don't see as many people booked for that any more.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely if its a choice between awarding a ban for cheating, affecting the PL product or allowing cheating to continue, affecting the PL product, i'd rather get rid of cheating than tolerate it. We have a sport now where cheats prosper and what sort of moral example is that to show the world? So much for the old adage, cheaters never prosper.

Do we apply the same sort of rules to other parts of life? should we not punish some criminals if their worth to society is deemed high enough that keeping them in their current role is preferable than jailing them for their actions? - for example, a recent 24 hours in Police custody had a surgeon who made a false insurance claim and was caught and sentenced to jail. Would it be better if he wasn't prosecuted because it means he could continue as a surgeon, helping patients? but if he had a less important job, they should happily give him a long sentence?

Surely it shouldn't matter who you are, if you act dishonestly and are caught in the act, you should face punishment and it shouldn't be influenced by how much of an impact your loss will have on your overall profession

Without wanting to turn this in to a political binfest, we live in a world where the man regarded as the leader of the free part of it lies and cheats on a daily basis. The ship has sailed. There are still a few sports - well games really - that self regulate. Snooker and pool. Darts. Golf. But any team game played at pace consists of non-stop attempts to bend the rules. Whether it is funny business in the scrum in rubgy, all out assualt in Aussie Rules or the diving, shirt pulling, blocking off at set pieces and stealing of yards at free kicks and throw ins of football it goes on. If you started banning for dishonesty in football you'd have no players left.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In that case they probably still have a job for you at the FA, as someone to test whether a prospective buyer of a football club fulfills all the requirements of the fit and proper person test

Which I think you would. Because anyone having an opinion that differs from yours is just not fit to be alive.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sad that a number of our fans called it as a genuine penalty on the match thread through blind spite for Ali-J despite many seeing it as dodgy.

I called it as a genuine penalty, not thorugh spite for Ali J but because, at full speed, it looked one. Too busy with chat on here and handing round the snacks to really look properly again until half time I then changed my mind and said so. But, I can see why it was given. It's a limp, hang out a leg challenge from behind and any touch on Monreal becomes a foul. It just so happens that he didn't touch him.

I'd love Ali J to do well. It certainly doesn't do any of us any good for him to struggle like this. But the guy was rightfully hooked at half time, and it won't have been because of the "penalty".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm a fan of VAR, but it's not going to fix everything. The studio commentators came to the conclusion that Arsenal's penalty was the correct decision. Maybe that was more to do with the fact it was Arsenal's Alex Scott doing the analysis, but still. Had VAR been there, I'm don't think it would have given the penalty, but then I'm also not sure it would have overturned the refs decision had he given it.

But then yesterday's decisions weren't bad compared to a lot of the shit we've had to deal with.

I might just trust a professional ref sitting in front of a number of tv's over a woman who has only ever played a poor standard of football, and as for the male "experts" most don't have a clue of the laws of the game.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Which I think you would.

Oh, sorry i didn't you already work for them doing that role already

Because anyone having an opinion that differs from yours is just not fit to be alive.

Not true, i would rather they were very much alive..... and found somewhere where their alternative, highly blinkered and obviously completely incorrect views where the norm, hence getting them a job with someone like the FA

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I will offer a hand of apology here. Yes I was trolling a little bit (for fun). But the way I was jumped on for having a differing opinion is quite an eye opener.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I called it as a genuine penalty, not thorugh spite for Ali J but because, at full speed, it looked one. Too busy with chat on here and handing round the snacks to really look properly again until half time I then changed my mind and said so. But, I can see why it was given. It's a limp, hang out a leg challenge from behind and any touch on Monreal becomes a foul. It just so happens that he didn't touch him.

I'd love Ali J to do well. It certainly doesn't do any of us any good for him to struggle like this. But the guy was rightfully hooked at half time, and it won't have been because of the "penalty".

That limp hanging out a leg reached further than the Arsenal player and directly come down on the ball, so much so it bounced up and hit the cheating diving player square in the face, all the time physically not touching the cheat at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That limp hanging out a leg reached further than the Arsenal player and directly come down on the ball, so much so it bounced up and hit the cheating diving player square in the face, all the time physically not touching the cheat at all.

[TWEET]1125070835822268416[/TWEET]

Yes, you can see that from the angle on this tweet which was repeated at half time and on MOTD and you can state that confidently after several repeat viewings. At full speed using the normal camera angle that wasn't clear at all. I was happy to conceed I was wrong on the match thread and I'm still happy to say this is not a penalty, but is blatent cheating by Arsenal. But from Taylor's angle at full speed and from the normal camera angle you can see exactly why it was given - "he gives the ref a decision to make".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I will offer a hand of apology here. Yes I was trolling a little bit (for fun).
Tell people why, they're very understanding :)
But the way I was jumped on for having a differing opinion is quite an eye opener.
That's just footy forums for you - I go over-the-top giving grief to people on here - sometimes it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, maybe witty, sometimes it's because they're over-the-top with their reactions to me, etc. Sometimes because my head can't cope with their mad opinions :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I admire your enthusiasm Sir - We are actually I agreement on things. I just don't think diving warrants long bans. If there is a red card for it then it will stop, the same way bookings for answering the ref back has eradicated a lot of that. You don't see as many people booked for that any more.

The best thing about a red card rather then a retrospective ban is that it potentially benefits the team against who the cheater was playing. So, for instance, yesterday - if he'd been sent off after nine minutes, we could have benefited. The trouble with bans is that with the big 6 squads, they just put another top class player in the team instead. So the club doesn't lose out - just the player.

Start penalising the club through results - it will disappear overnight.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
[TWEET]1125070835822268416[/TWEET]

Yes, you can see that from the angle on this tweet which was repeated at half time and on MOTD and you can state that confidently after several repeat viewings. At full speed using the normal camera angle that wasn't clear at all. I was happy to conceed I was wrong on the match thread and I'm still happy to say this is not a penalty, but is blatent cheating by Arsenal. But from Taylor's angle at full speed and from the normal camera angle you can see exactly why it was given - "he gives the ref a decision to make".

One of the most infuriating things about Sky's coverage yesterday was the amount of times the useless Redknapp and Arsenal ex-employee Scott declared with absolute certainty that it was a clear penalty and Monreal had clearly played the ball.
At half time they claimed to have watched the incident over and over, more than 30 times in fact, and it was a clear penalty.
They continued to repeat the same thing after the final whistle.

Just ONE look at the video in your post ... JUST ONE ... and it is as clear as day that AJ is the one playing the ball and there is virtually no contact with Monreal at all.
It begs the question what were those two clowns actually viewing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here