Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Better players, in the positions we need them, will cost megabucks. If we try to buy more than two on our budget (unless Uncle Tony wants another season of huge financial losses), they won't be any better. We simply cannot afford to buy 4 or 5 better players all at once.

No, but as per the quote, I would hope one or two would be manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We were told it wasn't going to happen this season and for half of it the decision seemed ok.

Oddly stubborn and narrow-minded are 2 character traits I would never have laid on Mr Hughton, that is until 2019.

Changing a system in an attempt to accommodate some of his newer signings.
Stubbornly refusing to change the one player severely weakened by the new system.
Then refusing to change the now failing system, despite watching the snot getting kick out of it.
Only to finally throw the whole lot out in favour of a Championship side, 10 man defence and 'holding' centre forward.

It's completely bizarre and as said, seemingly come from nowhere (for us Albion fans) but apparently ripped straight from the CH Comfort Blanket Tactics Textbook.

I think we’ve been a bit unlucky with Andone. Injured in the summer that took longer than anyone expected to recover from. Gets in the team only to suffer a niggle. Gets in the team only to get himself a 3 match ban. Gets in the team only to get injured in the warmup. Think perhaps if you sat down with CH he’d perhaps be as frustrated as you he’s been unable to use Andone in a far greater run of games. It isn’t just stubborn-Murray-ness because he does keep using him when he can.

If you then said ‘what about Locadia?’ I think my reply would be, ‘what about him?’ :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we’ve been a bit unlucky with Andone. Injured in the summer that took longer than anyone expected to recover from. Gets in the team only to suffer a niggle. Gets in the team only to get himself a 3 match ban. Gets in the team only to get injured in the warmup. Think perhaps if you sat down with CH he’d perhaps be as frustrated as you he’s been unable to use Andone in a far greater run of games. It isn’t just stubborn-Murray-ness because he does keep using him when he can.

If you then said ‘what about Locadia?’ I think my reply would be, ‘what about him?’ :shrug:

But that's still left the team with an awful lot of Murrayoffside marooned in the least productive period of his career seemingly dragging down those around him.

We have watched 15 minute Andone cameos (word up) where he was scared the b'jesus out of centre backs who had spent the previous 75 minutes sat on a deck chair reading the paper, none of which have lead to starting the next game and getting a run of starts.

I guess it's because the comparison is similar to you and me being compared to G and Froomey it's never been made, and I do genuinely feel Stoopid making it now.

I'm assuming the club and transfers where/are attempting to become the poorest ever version of Salah, Mane & white teeth, with Ali, Big Jurg and Andone.
Having the full backs doing the hard yards while the front 3 create the space.

If that rediculous notion were to have a grain of truth in it, it's a hard enough trick to pull off on a budget let alone with a anchor in the middle of it all.

Begging the question - why stick at it when you already have enough evidence proving it's doomed to failure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But that's still left the team with an awful lot of Murrayoffside marooned in the least productive period of his career seemingly dragging down those around him.

We have watched 15 minute Andone cameos (word up) where he was scared the b'jesus out of centre backs who had spent the previous 75 minutes sat on a deck chair reading the paper, none of which have lead to starting the next game and getting a run of starts.

I guess it's because the comparison is similar to you and me being compared to G and Froomey it's never been made, and I do genuinely feel Stoopid making it now.

I'm assuming the club and transfers where/are attempting to become the poorest ever version of Salah, Mane & white teeth, with Ali, Big Jurg and Andone.
Having the full backs doing the hard yards while the front 3 create the space.

If that rediculous notion were to have a grain of truth in it, it's a hard enough trick to pull off on a budget let alone with a anchor in the middle of it all.

Begging the question - why stick at it when you already have enough evidence proving it's doomed to failure.

I haven’t seen you in ages, hopefully catch you before the game today. :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As someone who has been following TM for over 25 years and thus ARJ for about 6-7 years, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that ARJ will not come good for Brighton or any other defensive setups for that matter. Iran under CQ was a completely anti-football, ultra defensive 11 behind the ball at their own half team. And CQ got 8 years out of it cause we had enough quality forwards to snag countless 1-0 scorelines in counters. And ARJ was always Mr. Anonymous in TM. Superstar in Holland, anonymous in TM. You don't have to be a genius to realize and quite a few people in here already have that ARJ can only truly shine as a player and highlight his qualities in a free flowing attacking side. He started as winger in Netherlands and ended up becoming a poacher.

You paid 17 million for ARJ because of his stats, stats that he earned in an attacking team. His stats in a defensive team are also clear for everyone, TM - Iran's national team - like I said, Mr. Anonymous. And he's never going to change. You bought a Ferrari in ARJ but haven't taken it for a ride at the track, instead CH has opted to use the said Ferrari exclusively for off road racing. Buy a Jeep stupid. It's better suited for your need, way cheaper and most importantly stops ruining the damn Ferrari.

Interesting analysis. My problem with it, however, is that in the few opportunities that he's had to demonstrate his Ferrari credentials, he's fluffed his lines. Other wide players that have come into comparable clubs have shown more, and the problem might just be that he's a Ferrari that's been set loose on a Formula One track, which is why he's Mr Anonymous/Jeep in the PL and at the national level.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Is it though? I've been watching some clips of the Dutch top flight and it appears there's no major difference in standard. How he was the top player in that division, only last season, should be added to the great wonders of the world list.

Here's some clips to prove my point:

You honestly believe the Dutch League is on a par with the Premier League ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You paid 17 million for ARJ because of his stats, stats that he earned in an attacking team. His stats in a defensive team are also clear for everyone, TM - Iran's national team - like I said, Mr. Anonymous. And he's never going to change. You bought a Ferrari in ARJ but haven't taken it for a ride at the track, instead CH has opted to use the said Ferrari exclusively for off road racing. Buy a Jeep stupid. It's better suited for your need, way cheaper and most importantly stops ruining the damn Ferrari.

Only when he attacks, in this league he looks like a Lada.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Come on AJ score the worldy that wins the game so that I can stroke my chin, like a sad 12 year old, and make a smug post to wind up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As someone who has been following TM for over 25 years and thus ARJ for about 6-7 years, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that ARJ will not come good for Brighton or any other defensive setups for that matter. Iran under CQ was a completely anti-football, ultra defensive 11 behind the ball at their own half team. And CQ got 8 years out of it cause we had enough quality forwards to snag countless 1-0 scorelines in counters. And ARJ was always Mr. Anonymous in TM. Superstar in Holland, anonymous in TM. You don't have to be a genius to realize and quite a few people in here already have that ARJ can only truly shine as a player and highlight his qualities in a free flowing attacking side. He started as winger in Netherlands and ended up becoming a poacher.

I agree with everything you’ve said but why, if you stand by what you say, aren’t you advocating ARJ get dropped by TM for a Massey Ferguson type player instead of the undoubted Ferrari ARJ is?

Are you just hopeful that a post CQ TM will play free flowing attacking football?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Come on AJ score the worldy that wins the game so that I can stroke my chin, like a sad 12 year old, and make a smug post to wind up [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Wait til next season, he’s going to burn it up.

Just hope we are in the same division....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wait til next season, he’s going to burn it up.

Just hope we are in the same division....

To hell with next season, we need one today. AJ, the season saver. He’ll have been worth every penny if so. Locadia with the clincher that kills the game too please :smile:

Prepares to “stroke chin”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To hell with next season, we need one today. AJ, the season saver. He’ll have been worth every penny if so. Locadia with the clincher that kills the game too please :smile:

It'll certainly surprise the Spanish waiter.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

We have not been defensive all season, he has had opportunities.

Sorry if I'm not quite convinced of the analogy that we've ruined a ferrari :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Stroke away [emoji23]
Gonna happen!

Draconian

Jul 26, 2018
I agree with everything you’ve said but why, if you stand by what you say, aren’t you advocating ARJ get dropped by TM for a Massey Ferguson type player instead of the undoubted Ferrari ARJ is?

Are you just hopeful that a post CQ TM will play free flowing attacking football?

Well, from TM's fan perspective people weren't really advocating for ARJ to get dropped, but rather for TM to play to its strengths. Another example would be Sardar Azmoun, he got a lot of abuse after the WC from the fans, ended up quitting, came back for the AC, and he wasn't doing so hot at Rubin Kazan either - another ultra defensive side - moved to Zenit (good attacking side) and has been scoring a goal or two per game ever since the move.

TM, aside from the 8 miserable years under CQ had always been playing attacking football, that's why the guy with the highest number of international goals is an Iranian - the quality or lack there of Asian opponents also helped, obviously.

My point is ARJ is just not a good match for Brighton's tactics and he has a history to prove that, and I just don't understand why CH wanted to sign him up so bad. It made sense when you were an attacking side in Championship but not now. The other thing is that it has always taken ARJ a season to acclimate to his new teams and surroundings. But I just don't see him coming good for you guys under the current circumstances.

Anyways, cheers and good luck against Newcastle, short of a Cardiff miracle you'll stay up with a draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here