Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains toward Eastbourne Post Match - How Long to Queue?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm planning on getting a train out toward near Eastbourne after the match on Saturday. I've got a couple of hours to get there (ideally arriving no later than 7). How long does it normally take for that side of the train station to clear up? I'm trying to decide if it's worth lingering at the amex for a little while then strolling straight onto the platform, or if there will still be queues, and I might as well just join the queues right after the match?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I normally wait behind for a pint or two and head down about 17.30. Normally back in Hastings via Eastbourne by 18.40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Trains back to Eastbourne are sh1te. I gave up halfway through the season. It's incredibly frustrating to watch train after train pull into the Brighton bound platform whilst eastbound trains often arrive with fewer carriages as well.

Edit, reading [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]'s post, i am situated in the family stand so there's further to walk, if you are in the North or west and can get out sharp after the game, then I'm sure you can do better than me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Saturday 1500 KO's this season I've always got to Eastbourne no later than 1815 leaving at full time from the West Upper.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I catch the Seaford train from the same platform, usually stroll down about 6 and straight onto the platform.
I would rather be drinking on the concourse than queuing for the station.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Trains back to Eastbourne are sh1te. I gave up halfway through the season. It's incredibly frustrating to watch train after train pull into the Brighton bound platform whilst eastbound trains often arrive with fewer carriages as well.

Edit, reading [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]'s post, i am situated in the family stand so there's further to walk, if you are in the North or west and can get out sharp after the game, then I'm sure you can do better than me.

i'd assume its the same trains, they go to Brighton turn and return to Lewes/Eastbourne/Seaford. problem with the Lewes shuttle but thought they where longer on match day too. matter of timing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
i'd assume its the same trains, they go to Brighton turn and return to Lewes/Eastbourne/Seaford. problem with the Lewes shuttle but thought they where longer on match day too. matter of timing.

I think the trains were particularly bad during december/january. I was waiting so long in the cold, wet one day, that I decided to either get a parking ticket or not go to the next match. And pretty much nothing stops me from going to home matches. It is my recollection that we had some 4 coach trains going back, we certainly did leaving Eastbourne and they were nightmarishly packed. The problem for those of us going eastwards, is that half the trains go to Seaford and if you miss the first one for Eastbourne or Hastings, then you have a long wait even if you were close to the platform. It is ridiculous that more don't go to E'bourne and Hastings which are relatively large compared to Seaford. I often stayed behind for a drink but still found the queue which whilst much smaller than the Brighton one, moved far slower. This led to missing the 17:40 train but getting one half an hour later. The trains were often late as well.Of course ALL westbound trains go to Brighton, so Brighton is very well served.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I catch the Seaford train from the same platform, usually stroll down about 6 and straight onto the platform.
I would rather be drinking on the concourse than queuing for the station.

We get the train into Brighton, & catch the 12. More trains, more buses and no hill to walk back up afterwards.

In answer to the OP some people have got on the Brighton train, & stayed on it back to Eastbourne or Seaford.
The queue that side of Falmer would move a lot quicker if everyone got on the first train in, and changed at Lewes. As it is, people stay on the platform because it's the wrong train.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Trains are perfectly fine on Saturdays. We head straight down and usually get the 5.15 straight to Eastbourne. I get off at Polegate and am home by 5.45. I think they changed things a while ago so there are now 2 x Eastbourne trains within about 10 mins as opposed 2 every half an hour or so.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think the trains were particularly bad during december/january. I was waiting so long in the cold, wet one day, that I decided to either get a parking ticket or not go to the next match. And pretty much nothing stops me from going to home matches. It is my recollection that we had some 4 coach trains going back, we certainly did leaving Eastbourne and they were nightmarishly packed. The problem for those of us going eastwards, is that half the trains go to Seaford and if you miss the first one for Eastbourne or Hastings, then you have a long wait even if you were close to the platform. It is ridiculous that more don't go to E'bourne and Hastings which are relatively large compared to Seaford. I often stayed behind for a drink but still found the queue which whilst much smaller than the Brighton one, moved far slower. This led to missing the 17:40 train but getting one half an hour later. The trains were often late as well.Of course ALL westbound trains go to Brighton, so Brighton is very well served.

I have said this for the last 7 years. The problem going East after the game is people going to stations Eastbourne/Hastings will stand on the platform until the Eastbourne train comes, people going to stations to Seaford do likewise. This results in less space on the platform and longer queues.

If everybody just got on the first train and changes at Lewes this would result in everybody getting home far quicker.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have said this for the last 7 years. The problem going East after the game is people going to stations Eastbourne/Hastings will stand on the platform until the Eastbourne train comes, people going to stations to Seaford do likewise. This results in less space on the platform and longer queues.

If everybody just got on the first train and changes at Lewes this would result in everybody getting home far quicker.

Yep, and what you suggested is what I have done. It is the others that are the problem lol. I don't see how Southern can mitigate that, but it is a pity that there isn't some kind of filter that only allows people onto the platform who are actually gonna take the next train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here