Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Drinking culture

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If I was on £45k a week I could find it within me to go out with Shane Duffy too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Such a big drinking culture there has been very little / nothing on social media of the players on the piss

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I believe that Glen Murray talked about the 'daily blood tests' at the development center in a recent interview, so if that is right, either everyone knows who is drinking too much or it could be complete bullshit. Who knows :shrug:

Didn't he also say they report to the club how they slept the night before and what they've eaten? Can't imagine the club nutritionists being happy about any drinking culture if there is one.

*edit* found it:

He has already been for his daily “monitoring” session. “Urine tests, sit-and-reach tests, groin squeeze,” Murray says. “If you’re usually reaching 24cm and the next day you only reach 19cm, then it highlights a problem. Your muscles might have tightened up without you realising it. You might be sent for more tests. Then there’s the daily questionnaire: how well we slept, how many hours, fatigue, muscle soreness, how you feel health-wise and general well-being. Everything we do is monitored.”

Last edited:

seagull1970

Apr 7, 2019
They went for a drink after losing at Man Utd away but seemed to get laughed off this board. People more worried now ?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Testing for drugs is the norm in the oil industry.

It’s the same in other jobs with certain safety responsibilities like transport. As I say, monitoring for health and performance is one thing, but you cross an ethical boundary when you start testing for other stuff. I will be surprised if the club are directly and explicitly testing for alcohol abuse.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s the same in other jobs with certain safety responsibilities like transport. As I say, monitoring for health and performance is one thing, but you cross an ethical boundary when you start testing for other stuff. I will be surprised if the club are directly and explicitly testing for alcohol abuse.

With social media as it is and the high profile of our players I doubt the club would have to do more than monitor Facebook, Twitter and NSC to find out what the players are up to. I must say I didn’t find the promotion celebrations that impressive with £million players crowd surfing and making complete arses of themselves. It’s only the home nation players and 2nd rate foreign players who seem to do this.
If an Albion player is abusing alcohol when they shouldn’t we should boot them out (unless they have a deeper problem in which case we should try and help them)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With social media as it is and the high profile of our players I doubt the club would have to do more than monitor Facebook, Twitter and NSC to find out what the players are up to. I must say I didn’t find the promotion celebrations that impressive with £million players crowd surfing and making complete arses of themselves. It’s only the home nation players and 2nd rate foreign players who seem to do this.
If an Albion player is abusing alcohol when they shouldn’t we should boot them out (unless they have a deeper problem in which case we should try and help them)

I agree. And arguably those promotion celebrations cost us the title.

Personally, I’m not convinced there’s a big problem at the club. But, there does seem to be a trio of players who are spotted out on the town on a very regular basis. At the very least it doesn’t look good when the team are performing the way they currently are.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I agree. And arguably those promotion celebrations cost us the title.

Personally, I’m not convinced there’s a big problem at the club. But, there does seem to be a trio of players who are spotted out on the town on a very regular basis. At the very least it doesn’t look good when the team are performing the way they currently are.

Spot on. Deep down it must infuriate CH.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The players should all have done *Extended Dry January*.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
there does seem to be a trio of players who are spotted out on the town on a very regular basis.

Where's your proof of this assertion?

There's a world of difference between....

- Being out on the town on a very regular basis, and
- Being spotted out on the town, when club rules permit them to "relax" a bit

The squad is clearly made up of blokes with very different personalities in very different stages of life. Whilst the likes of Bruno and Glenn Murray are family men who likely spend most evenings on the sofa in front of Netflix some of the younger squad members, and those who are single, will have different interests when they have nights off.

I'm only aware of one squad member who over-indulged when he shouldn't. It wasn't this season, but he was immediately dropped from the squad as a result.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm only aware of one squad member who over-indulged when he shouldn't. It wasn't this season, but he was immediately dropped from the squad as a result.

Case, Foster or Maybank ??????

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here