Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City forum

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Many years ago, before city bought their success, they were just 'the other team in Manchester'. City were largely just ignored.

Back in the day, when Man Utd were glory team, City were sometimes referred to as 'everyone's (sic) favourite second team'.

Back in the day City relegated Man United to Div 2 (ex United Denis Law scored the fateful goal), and were worthy rivals to Man Utd in the 60s and 70s winning the league, FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. it didn't all start in August 2008...

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
For those of you who haven’t the stamina to read all the posts on this thread, could I single out, and thank, posts 19 (Stato), 40 ( Megazone) and 96 (Monty uk) for their humour and reminder to all football fans ( Citeh fans in particular) to remember their roots.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Back in the day City relegated Man United to Div 2 (ex United Denis Law scored the fateful goal), and were worthy rivals to Man Utd in the 60s and 70s winning the league, FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. it didn't all start in August 2008...

The days of Colin Bell, Mike Summerbee, Francis Lee.......

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Reading this thread, and thinking about City fans not selling out their allocation, if the other Manchester team or Liverpool were having the same season, still involved in three competitions, and in an FA cup semi, doesn't anyone think that they wouldn't have sold all their tickets?
Do City get the regulation 3000 away tickets in the Premier League, or do they get more? If it's only 3000, then there's an awful lot of their home support who cant do many away games, in the league, and should be fighting over the 33,000 on offer for an FA Cup semi final.They won't get as many tickets for the Final,and, you can expect a lot of moans from them about a small ticket allocation.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Contrast that with City fans at Wembley who spoke to us, said we were unlucky and all the best for the rest of the season.

Of the two Manchester clubs their fans are usually the more balanced, level headed, fair and ....er ...Mancunian..... the normal Torquay based bias and winge of your average Manure fan is quite nauseous I find......

TNBA

TTF

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Citeh fans on the tube back to Victoria singing "1-0 to the empty seats" as a matter of pride sums it up for me. Tin pot club salvaged by a brutal dictatorship laundering its reputation through football. Insufficient loyalty to sell the tickets, insufficient self-respect to appreciate that's embarrassing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And bizarrely neutrals / supporters in general often have a lot of time for ManC.

Perhaps it takes decades for the hatred you see towards Chelsea, Liverpool and ManU, to crystallise?
That's exactly what it is for me. When clubs keep winning, it breads arrogant, dislikable fans.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Reading this thread, and thinking about City fans not selling out their allocation, if the other Manchester team or Liverpool were having the same season, still involved in three competitions, and in an FA cup semi, doesn't anyone think that they wouldn't have sold all their tickets?
Do City get the regulation 3000 away tickets in the Premier League, or do they get more? If it's only 3000, then there's an awful lot of their home support who cant do many away games, in the league, and should be fighting over the 33,000 on offer for an FA Cup semi final.They won't get as many tickets for the Final,and, you can expect a lot of moans from them about a small ticket allocation.

And that's the point.

If Utd, Liverpool, dare I say it Leeds were in the same situation there certainly wouldn't be any empty seats at a semi final.

City have many fans who do know their history and roots, and went to games when they were in the third tier, but they certainly don't have (yet) the country wide, or indeed world wide fan base that their rivals have.

Personally if I were a long standing City fan I'd hate what has happened to my club, which is now owned by a Country, and a Country with some very archaic and strange laws and a pretty awful human rights record.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Chatted to loads of City fans on Saturday .

Have to say didn't meet a bad one.

All knowledgeable blokes , complimentary about us and generally a decent laugh.

Same as every previous time have encountered them.

Hope they win the league

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In my experience, City fans are generally more grounded and sanguine than those of the rest of the Top 6. Those who came to Withdean when we beat them in 2008 generally took it well and recognised how much it meant to us. I know well a half-dozen or so and none have ever been disparaging about Brighton.

That's not to say there haven't always been idiot City fans who confirm to the Manc stereotype. And I've been unimpressed by some who have a superiority goad in them, at each of the Etihad games we've played.

But to extrapolate anything from a few keyboard numbnuts is naive and, frankly, more than a hint of ironic on NSC.....

City don't have the country-wide fan base of their northwest rivals. This, and the financial impacts of so many big games is clearly why they failed to sell out Wembley. They are sensitive souls if you point this out mind!

PG

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Their lack of class may stem from an uneasiness that their current circumstances don’t stem from any historical greatness but merely a faceless benefactor sticking a pin in a map and it hitting the cheaper Manchester club.

Ours too is a rags to riches story (although not to the same extent) but at least our fella has a long standing relationship to our town and football club.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I don't want to read their forum, for one reason.

I didn't hear a single City fan giving us grief outside of any sort. When I left I got lost and ended up walking against the tide of City fans (I turned round as soon as I realised it was a dead end!). Not one bad comment. Pre match, all mixed in the coffee shops, no problems at all.

That is the memory I want to take away, I don't want to read things to the contrary on their forum!

Yoda

English & European
Chatted to loads of City fans on Saturday .

Have to say didn't meet a bad one.

All knowledgeable blokes , complimentary about us and generally a decent laugh.

Same as every previous time have encountered them.

Hope they win the league

The only one I had any interaction with just said "What you gonna keep the score down to today then?". Arrogant tosser. :wanker:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I don't want to read their forum, for one reason.

I didn't hear a single City fan giving us grief outside of any sort. When I left I got lost and ended up walking against the tide of City fans (I turned round as soon as I realised it was a dead end!). Not one bad comment. Pre match, all mixed in the coffee shops, no problems at all.

That is the memory I want to take away, I don't want to read things to the contrary on their forum!

Football has gone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here