Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good on you Stacey Dooley

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm not a Labour voter but I have a lot of time for David Lammy, and not just because of his Brexit views either. He is also a passionate politician and hot on racial issues, so I'm going to cut him some slack.

Firstly, from Lammy's PR viewpoint it's not a good ideally to attack Stacey Dooley who is something of a National Darling after winning Strictly Come Dancing and doing charity work.

However, does he have a point? Possibly. There's a debate to be had about how we in Britain can best help the disadvantaged in Africa. Maybe Comic Relief does assuage some guilt, maybe by Comic Relief taking some limited action people feel "we've done our bit" when maybe more multinational, concerted action is required.

It is incredible that the EU is this rich 500 million trading bloc with the 27 nations solidly unified AND YET a matter of miles across the sea in North Africa there is absolute chaos in Libya, a gateway for illegal migrants and traffickers. Logically, if it is better for Africa to help itself then we as the UK/EU should start by targetting the Mediterranean countries of Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco and bringing them up, so they can then help the countries on their borders.

Yes, this report is awful. Warning this video is horrific.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Mr Lammy said Comic Relief should do more to incorporate African celebrities and businessmen living on the continent in their shows, rather than relying on British-based faces.

But this is a British TV show, asking British people for money to help British and Worldwide projects - How would adding some unknown African businessman to the films help raise money? Someone sitting at home will know Stacy Dooley as "that nice young girl who won strictly" and want to donate.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not a Labour voter but I have a lot of time for David Lammy, and not just because of his Brexit views either. He is also a passionate politician and hot on racial issues, so I'm going to cut him some slack.

Firstly, from Lammy's PR viewpoint it's not a good ideally to attack Stacey Dooley who is something of a National Darling after winning Strictly Come Dancing and doing charity work.

However, does he have a point? Possibly. There's a debate to be had about how we in Britain can best help the disadvantaged in Africa. Maybe Comic Relief does assuage some guilt, maybe by Comic Relief taking some limited action people feel "we've done our bit" when maybe more multinational, concerted action is required.

It is incredible that the EU is this rich 500 million trading bloc with the 27 nations solidly unified AND YET a matter of miles across the sea in North Africa there is absolute chaos in Libya, a gateway for illegal migrants and traffickers. Logically, if it is better for Africa to help itself then we as the UK/EU should start by targetting the Mediterranean countries of Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco and bringing them up, so they can then help the countries on their borders.

100% Correct

We and thee other wealthy Nations need to raise the money we pay in ''Foreign Aid''. This would go a long way to treating the cause rather than the symptoms of Mass Migration. It cannot solve it all because much of the Migration is a Humanitarian Issue of people fleeing wars in their own country but it could reduce many of the causes of Migration. That would in the long term save on what we pay to treat the symptoms of it

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well his point is that parachuting a white celebrity 'rescuer' in reinforces a stereotype of colonial superiority, and Lenny Henry doesn't reinforce this stereotype I suppose.

I guess you either see and accept his clumsy point, or not.

You're not seeing it through the lens of an average Daily Mail reader though are you. Charity = Good (always, no matter what, it's for charity innit), therefore criticising someone engaged in that pursuit is basically equivalent to scrawling something rude on a picture of the queen. Oh and David Lammy is black so it's a bit of a slam dunk, string him up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mr Lammy said Comic Relief should do more to incorporate African celebrities and businessmen living on the continent in their shows, rather than relying on British-based faces.

But this is a British TV show, asking British people for money to help British and Worldwide projects - How would adding some unknown African businessman to the films help raise money? Someone sitting at home will know Stacy Dooley as "that nice young girl who won strictly" and want to donate.
Absolutely. But when someone has an agenda that doesn't fit this (entirely reasonable) situation, there's no stopping them.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East

Perhaps it would help the uninformed adjust their simplistic & lazy opinion that the good folk of Africa do little or nothing to help themselves?

Though I'm sure there aren't too many of those knocking around? :whistle:

I would have sympathy for African states if they did more to help themselves.Ethiopias population at the time of band aid was 40 million it is now 105 million,a population explosion isn't wise in a country susceptible to famine.

I agree with others who have already said that the fault isn't necessarily with what Lammy seems to be trying to say, but his target and his delivery (both tone and medium used). A public spat with Dooley seen as just because she's white and trying to help is not going to help anyone (except perhaps by instigating productive debate...)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, this report is awful. Warning this video is horrific.

This is not the EU's finest hour and is precisely the sort of issue I would have wanted the UK to be leading the way on. However, we've taken a back seat simply because we've been - until recently - relatively unaffected by the tide of people fleeing Africa via Libya. It's been more Italy's problem than ours.

The tragedy is the UK can't do anything about this on our own, and without us the EU will simply firefight to keep the migrants out of EU territory. Indeed, France is influential in North Africa but the job is too big for just them and /or them and Germany.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This is not the EU's finest hour and is precisely the sort of issue I would have wanted the UK to be leading the way on. However, we've taken a back seat simply because we've been - until recently - relatively unaffected by the tide of people fleeing Africa via Libya. It's been more Italy's problem than ours.

The tragedy is the UK can't do anything about this on our own, and without us the EU will simply firefight to keep the migrants out of EU territory. Indeed, France is influential in North Africa but the job is too big for just them and /or them and Germany.

I agree. As a Remainer, I think the EU has failed massively in this area.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree. As a Remainer, I think the EU has failed massively in this area.

I agree. The perception by many in the UK is that the EU wants to be a superstate, a United States of Europe. We've had 40-odd years of media suggesting the motives for this are sinister but the bottom line is the EU is not a country with one government, it is still ostensibly an economic body consisting of 28 separate nation states. To make a concerted effort to change the situation in North Africa is really almost a matter of foreign policy, and EU doesn't have a "Foreign Office".

With issues like this the federalist argument is strong, but other federalist aims - such as a European Army - are not so strong. I feel this is where the EU needs to start focusing its efforts, to establish some sort of humanitarian protocols that lead to political aims.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He has made a very good point in a very clumsy way.

I cringe when I hear the Band Aid lyrics. It was of it's time and the way charities represent countries abroad needs to move on.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
To be fair to David Lammy, he is not jumping on a bandwagon - he has made this point consistently for several years and it is a point which was accepted last year by the CEO of Comic Relief:

"Now the CEO of Comic Relief, Liz Warner, has said the organisation had taken its “first steps” towards change.

Warner said the charity had replaced the use of celebrity storytellers with Africans, allowing them to speak for themselves, while suggesting there would be a commitment to a balanced stories of poverty and need with more optimistic, complex tales.

Warner said: “You’ll see the films we put into Sports Relief are a step towards that, towards change. People talking in the first person in their own voices, with local heroes and local heroines talking to us about the work they’re doing. You won’t see a celebrity standing in front of people talking about them. You’ll see people talking for themselves.”

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be fair to David Lammy, he is not jumping on a bandwagon - he has made this point consistently for several years and it is a point which was accepted last year by the CEO of Comic Relief:

"Now the CEO of Comic Relief, Liz Warner, has said the organisation had taken its “first steps” towards change.

Warner said the charity had replaced the use of celebrity storytellers with Africans, allowing them to speak for themselves, while suggesting there would be a commitment to a balanced stories of poverty and need with more optimistic, complex tales.

Warner said: “You’ll see the films we put into Sports Relief are a step towards that, towards change. People talking in the first person in their own voices, with local heroes and local heroines talking to us about the work they’re doing. You won’t see a celebrity standing in front of people talking about them. You’ll see people talking for themselves.”
Exactly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ief-to-ditch-white-saviour-stereotype-appeals

Continue having a right old moan up everyone else, but you missed the point.

Even Comic Relief know they aren't quite getting it right.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good god. Of all the organisations across the globe he could be scrutinising and critical of , he picks Comic Relief. This modern world needs to get its ****ing priorities sorted out.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Perhaps it would help the uninformed adjust their simplistic & lazy opinion that the good folk of Africa do little or nothing to help themselves?

Though I'm sure there aren't too many of those knocking around? :whistle:

I agree with others who have already said that the fault isn't necessarily with what Lammy seems to be trying to say, but his target and his delivery (both tone and medium used). A public spat with Dooley seen as just because she's white and trying to help is not going to help anyone (except perhaps by instigating productive debate...)

My opinion maybe simplistic and lazy but there are far more worthy opinions than mine including the United Nations population information network who say that population growth is keeping Africa poor and damaging the environment .l never said they did little or nothing to help themselves just that they need to do more especially regarding population growth which as stated along with over issues is holding Africa back.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can see the point of what Lammy is saying, but really, in the scheme of things, is this really worth the debate right now. At the end of the day, Comic Relief are doing good things on the ground. OK, the way in which this can be positioned can always be questioned, but really!

He's handled it clumsily. He should have started by saying what's being done by Comic Relief is great, and now we need to demonstrate how many of the ideas and solutions are coming from with Africa itself and we need to support the organisations that are trying to ensure that a wealthy middle class in the well off parts of Africa doesn't ignore its own responsibility to bring about change.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Seeing as China is busy buying the place up, I'm sure that they will be to the forefront of Aid in Africa, with the added bonus of them not being white.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seeing as China is busy buying the place up, I'm sure that they will be to the forefront of Aid in Africa, with the added bonus of them not being white.

The Chinese won't do aid, they'll just build power stations and put a big f*ck off Chinese flag on it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Well said.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here