Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Thought the Monty Don attempted entrapment sequence 'he may have green fingers but we're going to catch him red handed' hit a flat spot, with the snogging couple in the background over-laboured. But IMHO there were far more absolute gems, like Alan's latest run-in with his new nemesis, the scornful outside broadcast lady. Oh and the phone link with the old crabby lady that got cut off just as she was elaborating on the good old days and her household's houseboy ('we called him Brownie'). Not to mention the surreal Alan doppelganger Irish Republican!

Wondrous multi-layered comedy gold, you'd need a heart of stone not to snort with laughter at multiple points in the proceedings :lolol:

I think that couple in the back-ground maybe plot development ? - hence overly obvious ?

Blackmail a BBC exc for another series etc ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Irish republican singing his protest songs was perfect. And rather nice to see Coogan doing the character. It was really well done.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought the Monty Don attempted entrapment sequence 'he may have green fingers but we're going to catch him red handed' hit a flat spot, with the snogging couple in the background over-laboured. But IMHO there were far more absolute gems, like Alan's latest run-in with his new nemesis, the scornful outside broadcast lady. Oh and the phone link with the old crabby lady that got cut off just as she was elaborating on the good old days and her household's houseboy ('we called him Brownie'). Not to mention the surreal Alan doppelganger Irish Republican!

Wondrous multi-layered comedy gold, you'd need a heart of stone not to snort with laughter at multiple points in the proceedings :lolol:

I must have a heart of stone then. It was better than episode 3 last night but still not vintage Alan IMO. The Monty Don bit was crap apart from the very end where Lynn came out the hotel and scuttled straight back in. The social media bit with sidekick Simon still does nothing for me. The old woman on the phone was predictable. But there were some gems. The Irish lookalike made me smirk and Alan's claim around being Cardio King was a good'un.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Another top episode.

Loved the one liners that kept coming quick and fast. As for that end, well. Very, very funny.

vlcsnap-2019-03-26-07h22m31s333.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Weakest episode to date. Don’t think I laughed out loud once. Poor comedy. Disappointing as it was really getting good.

One thing that is increasingly bothering me about it is that most of the stuff Alan does just would never have been approved to appear on prime time bbc. I can overlook that when it’s funny but tonight , nah. Rubbish.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Weakest episode to date. Don’t think I laughed out loud once. Poor comedy. Disappointing as it was really getting good.

One thing that is increasingly bothering me about it is that most of the stuff Alan does just would never have been approved to appear on prime time bbc. I can overlook that when it’s funny but tonight , nah. Rubbish.

I think it was just about salvaged by the library scene where he’s rolling the book shelves. “Could be turn by a small child or a 7 stone weakling. What are you about 9?”

Also like the roving reporter who continually disagrees and the Simon Denton slot was the best yet.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought the bit about oysters was more smiley than laugh out loud...and where he suddenly disappeared sideways, I thought he was having a fit, but it just led to the next scene.

I am not sure if he is trying a bit too hard at " being alan" it doesn't seem the comedy is coming naturally.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was certainly towards the back of the queue - the first episode was the only one less funny IMO. The oyster/lips reaction thing was amusing but not really what Partridge is all about. and it didn't really fit with the humour surrounding AP. I can't make up my mind whether Simon is a worthy addition on this stage either, as I'd have thought it would have been funnier seeing him as a success in his own right and coming on for occasional guest appearances and showing up Alan for what he is.

The roving reporter dynamic is excellent though. Works a treat.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, I really enjoyed it again. Some genuine laugh out loud moments, shaved boy, turbo charger, swearing librarian, it's all what you might find on a daytime show desperate to connect to an audience that is no longer really watching because there is a box set to get through.

I loved this quote from a Guardian review:

Similarly, that Piers Morgan now co-hosts a breakfast show has raised the suggestion that Partridge is redundant. Which is unfair on Alan – he is a psychologically complex, not entirely unlikable character whereas Morgan is a flat-out, flat-track tedious boor lacking Alan’s residual moral fibre.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think there are people on here that desperately want to like it and defend it, which is fair enough, I do too. But I just don't find it very funny. It's enjoyable but it just isn't classic AP. I shouldn't be enjoying it, I should be cringing and laughing in the same breath. The only redeeming factor for me is that he just looks totally bored at every new story.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think there are people on here that desperately want to like it and defend it, which is fair enough, I do too. But I just don't find it very funny. It's enjoyable but it just isn't classic AP. I shouldn't be enjoying it, I should be cringing and laughing in the same breath. The only redeeming factor for me is that he just looks totally bored at every new story.
Nope. Me and the nipper both love it. That's just on first viewing too and as I keep saying, ALL Partridge gets funnier with repeat viewings.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't need to try too hard to enjoy this, indeed more gags are picked up on 2nd/3rd viewings.

One last night, the fixed, standard and usual cuts during the intro music have seen the receptionist change expression as Alan enters the building waving his pass, presumably at APs behest.

03.JPG 05.JPG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I can't help being a Partridge fan through and through, but having read I, Partridge, and Nomad, plus enjoyed Mid Morning Matters and Alpha Papa, what the Gibbon's brothers have bought to Partridge is that you no longer laugh at him, there is more tragedy about him, like he's coming to terms with being a bit of a relic, but the detail and humour just pours out of him. Where Iannucci and Baynham scorned and even mocked Partridge, Alan is now a Shakespearean comic tradegy, Lynne transformed into a scheming Lady MacBeth whispering conspiratorially into his ear at every turn, Alan less poisonous but still unable to let simple things go. It is slightly painful, because day time telly is painful. The walk between couch and next set intentionally too long and awkward, the presenter dynamic striving on despite obvious contradiction or offense. I actually think it is great, the CPR scene had tears rolling down my cheeks, as did swearing librarian last night. He wants to evolve, but just can't. I'm probably liking Alan more than I've done since he first saw the jockey's breasts on The Day Today. I'm really not desperate to like it either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here