Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Remember ceefax??

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Technical stuff coming up, because I know and like to show off!
Teletext & Ceefax were, in a way, the first digital broadcasts. TV used to have 625 lines (405 in really old days) but there were a few unused lines both at the top and bottom of the screen. You may remember watching and seeing flashing white dots at the top. Well these dots were the coding for the teletext screen. Each page would be broadcast one at a time, scrolling through the pages one after the other. To receive a page you had to wait for it to be broadcast, hence the wait. The digital revolution brought to an end the 'spare' lines as digital speaks to each dot on a TV individually to tell it what colour to be.
But linking analogue with digital is easy. An mp3 is a digital audio file and uses less space than a normal wave audio because it removes those lines at the top and bottom because they aren't needed, thus the file is smaller (in a nutshell).
Happy to help.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Always remember the "Reveal" button....................on the ****Jokes page :)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
When Sussex won the County Championship - I watched Ceefax for the afternoon with my old man. It was exciting refresh8ng the page to see if another wicket had fallen.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Remember when you wanted to book a holiday in the Med and you had to go into a 'holiday shop' and choose from the, oh, 40 options on their 2 pages of Ceefax-ish screens. Or you could scroll through 60 pages of the ITV equivalent that involved you having to phone up some dubious looking companies to enquire about offers that probably didn't even exist. Looking back, it's a bit of a wonder that any of us ever made it abroad for our holidays

That was called Prestel. I had an account back in 1987.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I can still remember some of the page numbers off the top of my head-

300- Sport
301 - Sport Headlines
302 - Football
312 - Football news in brief
340 - Cricket
370 - Rugby
200 - City and Finance
400 - Weather...............

and if you never staggered in, off your head, in the early hours of the morning and tried to watch 'Pages from Ceefax' on BBC2 , complete with accompanying Muzak, you haven't lived.

What was the number for kids quiz? Any idea?

We could access it on our BBC micro "network" at school. >*TELETEXT <enter>

(Or "accidentally" typing ?&FEA1=132 to freeze the network and whatever tape stream back was running at the time) And our "WAN" was the geography rooms Acorn 50m from the IT room where all sorts of things were accidentally typed

I digress. Happy days.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We could access it on our BBC micro "network" at school. >*TELETEXT <enter>

I went to school in the dark, backwards outlands of the North - in a town called.. Bradford.

At my school we had one BBC Model B which the nerds used to gather around at lunchtime like emperor penguins around a spare egg. It was as cool to look at that computer as it was to walk around in a pink leotard and it was only when the ZX Spectrum hit the mainstream that they became 'cool' to own. We couldn't afford one so I ended up with a bloody 'Oric 1'...

Anyway.. CEEFAX. Loved it, loved the games, and most of my Geography knowledge came from the holiday pages!!!

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I loved Ceefax. When we first got it on a TV when I was a kid I didn't think anything better would ever happen. Watched countless Albion games on Ceefax ! Always interesting when the dreaded XXX's struck !!!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I went to school in the dark, backwards outlands of the North - in a town called.. Bradford.

At my school we had one BBC Model B which the nerds used to gather around at lunchtime like emperor penguins around a spare egg. It was as cool to look at that computer as it was to walk around in a pink leotard and it was only when the ZX Spectrum hit the mainstream that they became 'cool' to own. We couldn't afford one so I ended up with a bloody 'Oric 1'...

Anyway.. CEEFAX. Loved it, loved the games, and most of my Geography knowledge came from the holiday pages!!!

Beebs were great machines. We were posh and our network had a combination of BBCs, Acorns, Torch, Archimedes, and even and monochrome Mac with a 4 inch screen or so. THAT was strictly restricted. Heck we even built an intranet of sorts on it. There were some Commodore PETs in the Maths room and some Star/Citizen dot matrix printers. Oh and an A3 plotter! That was the business.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Beebs were great machines. We were posh and our network had a combination of BBCs, Acorns, Torch, Archimedes, and even and monochrome Mac with a 4 inch screen or so. THAT was strictly restricted. Heck we even built an intranet of sorts on it. There were some Commodore PETs in the Maths room and some Star/Citizen dot matrix printers. Oh and an A3 plotter! That was the business.

Good lord, where did you go to school.. Eton?! :eek:

My school would have been burgled three times before morning break with all that kit kicking around...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have a couple of Freeview TV’s. I still use TELETEXT on BBC, if I haven’t got an ipad/iphone to hand, to check football scores or news headlines.

The page numbers are still essentially the same - 302 Football, 200 Business.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Good lord, where did you go to school.. Eton?! :eek:

My school would have been burgled three times before morning break with all that kit kicking around...

It was "well to do". Our library.
edgar-tower.jpg

Lets just say I didnt exactly fit in being from the estates and sponsored to go there!!!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Keith was on our Supporters Club team trip to play in a tournament in Paris in the summer of 85?86. Captained by Bennett Dean, the press photographer, we were knocked outin the QFs by Ajax on penalties.

Anyone know what happened to Keith?

I served my apprenticeship at British Caledonian with his son Simon. That was 31 years ago and I didn’t keep in touch so can’t help, sorry.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Very fond memories of Teletext/Ceefax. When staying over at my mate's place in London I used to get up early and trawl through the pages as our TV at home didn't have it at the time.Great for football and Bamber Boozle. Used to get my news from it too.Happy days.The internet has changed everything so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here