Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Genuine question, and I'm not having a go - but is that a joke, or would you have done that on a trip with the kids? (presume you're taking them given it's a half term trip). Only asking because it's hard to gauge from this thread what people's normal drink amounts are, and what is prompting them to give up. From reading the thread it seems as though going dry is something everyone should do, but then you read about some people's drinking habits and realise your own aren't anyway near that (again, absolutely not saying you have a problem, but that comment jumped out at me a bit). Maybe some people don't notice the health / sleep benefits because they didn't really drink that much in the first place?

Some of it was in jest/exaggeration...

The "going on holiday" pint with breakfast does seem to be somewhat of a British tradition - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/great-british-tradition-of-pre-flight-boozing/ - but it's not for me. If I'm in a lounge, I'd certainly have a mimosa or similar, however.

I'd also have a few drinks on the plane too, more so if not flying cattle class.

And I would certainly enjoy drinks whilst on holiday itself - I don't think I'm unusual in that.

(It is a family holiday, including my son)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some of it was in jest/exaggeration...

The "going on holiday" pint with breakfast does seem to be somewhat of a British tradition - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/great-british-tradition-of-pre-flight-boozing/ - but it's not for me. If I'm in a lounge, I'd certainly have a mimosa or similar, however.

I'd also have a few drinks on the plane too, more so if not flying cattle class.

And I would certainly enjoy drinks whilst on holiday itself - I don't think I'm unusual in that.

(It is a family holiday, including my son)

The Airport Spoons at Gatwick (N & S) is always MOBBED with people on it early in the morning

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Day 38 for me (I've just carried on). Feel a bit of an anti-climax after the daily emails and videos stopped, but it's now almost become habit not to drink... I now instinctively reach for a Heineken 0,0 when I walk in, instead of a can of strong lager or a large glass of wine...

My sleep over the last week has been a bit rubbish (I can't get straight off to sleep in 30 seconds like I used to.. my mind is still quite active) but I'm still a totally different person from waking until Midday. So much sharper and fresher. I'm making it to mid afternoon and still getting a wave of tiredness (I'd nap if I could), and then another one at about 8pm if I don't go to the gym. I could literally fall down on the floor and doze. One thing I've noticed is that instead of making an effort to keep my eyes open in the mornings I have to make an effort to close them now. It's a nice feeling.

Still lost sod all weight, but the little belly I do have is firming up from the gym work (running, cross training, then swimming) and it actually looks smaller. Still expected to lose weight, but I'm still not eating as well as I should.

I keep having little 'I could murder a pint, or a glass of wine' moments. Watching the game last night was another. They pass, and afterwards I always mentally pat myself on the back. I'm 99% sure I'll have a drink again (infrequently, and in moderation), but I'm just having fun beating myself up - and proving I'm the one in control here. I'm pretty stubborn when I want to be. I'm pretty sure that I'll be a mess after two glasses of wine or beers, whereas I could sink a whole bottle of Chardonnay in an hour and not even feel fresh at one point. That's when I started to get worried. When your tolerance gets to that level you know it's doing you harm...

To prove a point about how nobody else really noticed my drinking (I never, ever got visibly drunk in front of anyone), nobody has even really noticed I'm not drinking. It's barely been mentioned. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but the war was being fought in my own head, for sure.
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - keep going. It's a 30 day experiment, that's all. If it doesn't benefit you after 30 days, at least you know - and you can get back on it. Listen to the videos and read the emails, wether you think them happy-clappy or not. There's a lot of info and a lot of sense in there. Actual facts which cannot be disputed. If you're armed with facts you can make better decisions. That's a... umm... fact!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 38 for me (I've just carried on). Feel a bit of an anti-climax after the daily emails and videos stopped, but it's now almost become habit not to drink... I now instinctively reach for a Heineken 0,0 when I walk in, instead of a can of strong lager or a large glass of wine...

My sleep over the last week has been a bit rubbish (I can't get straight off to sleep in 30 seconds like I used to.. my mind is still quite active) but I'm still a totally different person from waking until Midday. So much sharper and fresher. I'm making it to mid afternoon and still getting a wave of tiredness (I'd nap if I could), and then another one at about 8pm if I don't go to the gym. I could literally fall down on the floor and doze. One thing I've noticed is that instead of making an effort to keep my eyes open in the mornings I have to make an effort to close them now. It's a nice feeling.

Still lost sod all weight, but the little belly I do have is firming up from the gym work (running, cross training, then swimming) and it actually looks smaller. Still expected to lose weight, but I'm still not eating as well as I should.

I keep having little 'I could murder a pint, or a glass of wine' moments. Watching the game last night was another. They pass, and afterwards I always mentally pat myself on the back. I'm 99% sure I'll have a drink again (infrequently, and in moderation), but I'm just having fun beating myself up - and proving I'm the one in control here. I'm pretty stubborn when I want to be. I'm pretty sure that I'll be a mess after two glasses of wine or beers, whereas I could sink a whole bottle of Chardonnay in an hour and not even feel fresh at one point. That's when I started to get worried. When your tolerance gets to that level you know it's doing you harm...

To prove a point about how nobody else really noticed my drinking (I never, ever got visibly drink in front of anyone), nobody has even really noticed I'm not drinking. It's barely been mentioned. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but the war was being fought in my own head, for sure.
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - keep going. It's a 30 day experiment, that's all. If it doesn't benefit you after 30 days, at least you know - and you can get back on it. Listen to the videos and read the emails, wether you think them happy-clappy or not. There's a lot of info and a lot of sense in there. Actual facts which cannot be disputed. If you're armed with facts you can make better decisions. That's a... umm... fact!

Thanks for that - good post and kind of what I'm feeling after a week..........at the moment the 'not drinking' rush is better than the 'drinking' rush.

I totally get the napping thing. I try to run most days (6 days a week typically), on work days I slot this in where I can but that spell of physical activity, which gives the mind a more or less complete rest, is so energising. Genuinely think a run is better than a nap as a break in the working day - I'm so much more alert after it (if I'm in the office, I'm usually up at 5.30, in the office in London by 7am and don't get home until 7.30pm/8, having that break means I can comfortably get through the day without flagging)

I'm not finding the videos or emails much use/help to be honest - not saying they're bad, maybe I just don't need them at the moment because I'm committed personally anyway. I dunno. Being able to post a few thoughts on the forum is useful (but no better than this thread - as usual NSC is the go to forum)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Experienced the same with the sleeping - first 2-3 nights weren't good at all, but that's already much better. Don't think I've lost any weight, but feel a bit less bloated perhaps. V interested to see the impact on my running - I've got a few targets ahead

25 days for heavy daily drinking me. Sleep heavily, have initial headaches on waking, have put on a couple of lbs but do eat all day. I even run SLOWER :( but not for long. Motivation levels are slightly higher but that is probably not an issue for you anyway.

So don't necessarily expect to feel better. Luckily for me I relish the challenge of not drinking almost as much as the enjoyment of drinking. Have now pencilled in a date beyond Brighton Marathon to June 16th and the Windsor Triathlon. I need to give my body more time to react to change after 43 years............

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm not finding the videos or emails much use/help to be honest - not saying they're bad, maybe I just don't need them at the moment because I'm committed personally anyway...

Yeah, I get that. We're all different, so there's no right or wrong I suppose. I'm just a "why, and how?" kind of person. I need reasons in order to action. I'd be crap in the army..

"Take out that house with a drone strike.."

"Why, what have they done?"

"Just take out the house!"

"Yeah, but why. What have they done?"

"They've killed lots of people"

"Which people - and why did they do it?"

"Just fire the fecking missile!!"

"Not until I have the facts... I need to know why I'm doing this.."

*SLAP* "You are fired from the army"

:annoyed:

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
25 days for heavy daily drinking me. Sleep heavily, have initial headaches on waking, have put on a couple of lbs but do eat all day. I even run SLOWER :( but not for long. Motivation levels are slightly higher but that is probably not an issue for you anyway.

So don't necessarily expect to feel better. Luckily for me I relish the challenge of not drinking almost as much as the enjoyment of drinking. Have now pencilled in a date beyond Brighton Marathon to June 16th and the Windsor Triathlon. I need to give my body more time to react to change after 43 years............

Bloody well done mate. :salute:

Remember - our reactions to quitting are all individual. No two people are exactly the same. We've all drunk different amounts previously, we're all different sizes, we all have different 'internal bits' which have varying levels of capability and resilience, and we all have different lifestyles, surroundings and mental approaches. Some people quit after just a couple of glasses of wine a night and go through a torrid time, some people can do two bottles of wine a night and stop on a sixpence.

If you've drunk heavily for many years your brain and body will be at 'peak damage limitation' to deal with what you've been chucking into it. You'll also be hard-wired mentally, which compounds it further. After 25 days you'll now be at a point where you can make sober and lucid decisions, which is when it gets interesting as you can see the future without alcohol being a huge part of it. It's funny how consuming alcohol can become just part of your life, your routine, and psyche.

One video I watched was where someone said : "I want you to do something. I want you to think back to your best memories when you were a child. Remember a special time. Now, smell the smells, feel the air, look at the people there. Think. Think about it. Make all your senses tingle and relive that wonderful moment. Isn't it amazing how you can do that?"

"Now remember an amazing time you had as an adult, when you were really drunk. Smell the smells, feel the joy, relive that moment, see the smiles on your friends faces, remember every single little detail. Oh, you can't do that can you. Which proves my point. Thank you. You weren't really there you know."

There's also a study that proves the build up to the first drink, then the first drink, is pleasurable to our brains. After that, it's not really pleasurable - but we're in a cycle of chemical release and replacement which we get caught up in..

Anyway - I'm not going happy clappy. Just, well done ticking off the 25 days. :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Did those back on it find they got pissed quicker when they had their first drink?

Still off it, BTW.

Two pints of Harvey's on Friday and yes, noticed I'd had a drink, which I don't think two pints would've done before

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

To prove a point about how nobody else really noticed my drinking (I never, ever got visibly drunk in front of anyone), nobody has even really noticed I'm not drinking. It's barely been mentioned. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but the war was being fought in my own head, for sure.

Top effort mate!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
One large bottle of Cobra with a curry after the match on Saturday. Here's my 'match report' on it :lolol:

Taste : Tasted very smooth and bubbly - but not exactly 'heavenly' as I'd expected. Went down well enough in unison with my Chiken Tikka Madras.

Effect : Felt half pissed at the end of the meal. :drunk: Had to get the Missus to drive home, didn't want to chance it.

Upon getting home : Cracked open some Heineken 0,0, then onto the OJ & Ginger Ale. Didn't want to carry on if I'm honest.

Next morning : Felt ok. A bit cheesed off I'd broken my AF 'streak' but felt better for knowing I could have just the one and stop.

Next Day : Went to Pizza Express and had sparkling water with my meal, as opposed to my usual "Large Pinot please.."

Day after that : Got a bit of the 'cravings' for alcohol, but not sure what type (oddly). I knew I wanted a drink, of something alcoholic - but no idea what... Didn't, though.

Today : Don't care about alcohol again.

Going forwards : Up at my Sisters in Bradford soon. May or may not drink. Undecided. I'm just not sure of the benefits having that bottle of Cobra brought me over not having it.

Hmmm....

How is everyone else doing?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One large bottle of Cobra with a curry after the match on Saturday. Here's my 'match report' on it :lolol:

Taste : Tasted very smooth and bubbly - but not exactly 'heavenly' as I'd expected. Went down well enough in unison with my Chiken Tikka Madras.

Effect : Felt half pissed at the end of the meal. :drunk: Had to get the Missus to drive home, didn't want to chance it.

Upon getting home : Cracked open some Heineken 0,0, then onto the OJ & Ginger Ale. Didn't want to carry on if I'm honest.

Next morning : Felt ok. A bit cheesed off I'd broken my AF 'streak' but felt better for knowing I could have just the one and stop.

Next Day : Went to Pizza Express and had sparkling water with my meal, as opposed to my usual "Large Pinot please.."

Day after that : Got a bit of the 'cravings' for alcohol, but not sure what type (oddly). I knew I wanted a drink, of something alcoholic - but no idea what... Didn't, though.

Today : Don't care about alcohol again.

Going forwards : Up at my Sisters in Bradford soon. May or may not drink. Undecided. I'm just not sure of the benefits having that bottle of Cobra brought me over not having it.

Hmmm....

How is everyone else doing?

Day 13, really no problem so far. Had the odd ‘really fancy a drink’ moment (habitual - when cooking, watching football on TV etc which passed quickly) but managed to get through a couple more potentially serious occasions such as a work colleague’s birthday, a neighbour’s 50th celebration (with copious booze and obviously no need to drive) and a night in a hotel on my own on a business trip.

Finding it much, much easier than I expected so far to be honest. On the downside, not sure I feel any better, haven’t lost any weight and to start with wasn’t sleeping well (that has improved of late).

Had a few 0.0 beers. Never more than a couple, and enjoying trying a few out. San Miguel easily my favourite so far. Budweiser, as expected, is shite (much like the real version obviously).

Stumpy Tim

Off the wagon last night unfortunately... wife and kids gone away for 2 weeks, so thought I would have a glass of wine. Ended up with a bottle. That's me done for the month though... going dry for a while again.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Had my first alcohol of the year at the start of Feb, a glass of wine. Then on Saturday I had one pint but did not really enjoy it so then switched back to soft drinks. Both times I have really fancied an alcoholic drink but once I have had a little bit that itch has been scratched and I am then happy to leave it, maybe my body has got used to no booze?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I had a couple of beers Friday & a good few on Saturday; boy did I regret it! Banging hangover and felt knackered all day. The missus reminded me I drunk less than I normally did and normally it had little if any effect. That got me thinking!

This is like 20 odd years ago when I gave up smoking, it tailed off through lack of interest. Haven't had a drink since, will have a couple at the weekend or might not.

* Mrs OW just called, "Shall we go out tonight, a couple of drinks and nip to the Italian!" (Jan would have been an absolute NO drinking, Feb, not so sure!)

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Had my first alcohol of the year at the start of Feb, a glass of wine. Then on Saturday I had one pint but did not really enjoy it so then switched back to soft drinks. Both times I have really fancied an alcoholic drink but once I have had a little bit that itch has been scratched and I am then happy to leave it, maybe my body has got used to no booze?

Your tolerance certainly drops! That single bottle of Cobra on Saturday would have had the same effect as a glass of water when I was 'on it'.

I won't tell you what the Mrs called me when I told her I was possibly too drunk to drive after one beer....

I honestly don't quite know where I am at the moment with the not drinking, but I'm pleased I know I can just walk away from it.

Last edited:

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Still dry this year and minus 16lbs (although the regular running helps). Probably a couple of beers tomorrow evening when out with Mrs M but fully expect to get back on the wagon afterwards

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still dry this year and minus 16lbs (although the regular running helps). Probably a couple of beers tomorrow evening when out with Mrs M but fully expect to get back on the wagon afterwards

Haven’t lost a single pound after 13 days......and running c40 miles a week [emoji2959][emoji2959]Not eating any more/different (probably less if anything without the booze-induced munchies)

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've now lost 2lbs in 44 days... ???

I console myself with the thought I'd probably have gained 10lbs if I was on the sauce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here