Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Your right of course to do so, but if you think that leaving with no deal will be at all beneficial to the country, then , I guess, we will have different opinions, and you are free to see me how you like

Dave, it is not so much the views various people have, but the way they are expressed.
Perhaps I, myself, should substitute 'clever clogs' for 'know it all pricks'.:lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

.... I am not negative. I am certain that Johnston is a conman (both as a politician and in his domestic life) hiding in plain sight; the good and sensible people of Britain are going to recognise that one day soon. It may take time, but we will survive the crass stupidity of Brexit and 'opinion formers' who led suggestible people to what they call the 'sunny uplands' will be discovered for the frauds they have always been. I am looking forward to it!

You're negative.

download.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The attached research from the World Economic Forum says 32 months from launch date of negotiations to implementation for Canada.
We will have to agree to differ on the intentions of the previous Government led by Remain voters Theresa May and Philip Hammond. They could hardly have ignored the result of the Referendum. Much better to negotiate on the wrong things and give the appearance that leaving the EU is just too difficult.

The article is from over three years ago, and besides both the EU and Canada have crack teams of negotiators who have much experience at negotiating trade deals. The UK does not.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Of course, it all comes down to opinions, but you could liken it to reviews on Trip Advisor, when looking to book a new holiday hotel.
The prudent folk would dismiss the (relatively) few glowing reviews, the same as they would dismiss the (relatively) few scathing ones, and go with an overall picture.
Chances are, they wouldn't be disappointed if they followed those general guidelines.
Sadly, the few die-hards on here are ignoring all the 'bad' reviews/previews of Brexit, as well as the average ones, and focussing on the rave reviews, which, as most people are aware, were written by those with an agenda - staff/owners/friends - you get the gist.
As long as you 'believe' your hotel will be wonderful, then it will be.
I wouldn't be booking any holidays using that kind of filter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Let's face it, the remaining (ironic) four or five stringent Brexiteers, the ones who simply refuse to admit that we are headed for disaster, really are not just thick but truly, truly moronic. Why are they even on this thread, defending Brexit if they are so sure it's the right thing to do? Argumentative bell-ends. To a man.

That argument can be turned around to you as well Clampy .... in previous posts you've categoricly claimed Brexit won't happen - yet here you still are defending remain. If you were so sure of us not leaving why are you still on the thread ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Of course, it all comes down to opinions, but you could liken it to reviews on Trip Advisor, when looking to book a new holiday hotel.
The prudent folk would dismiss the (relatively) few glowing reviews, the same as they would dismiss the (relatively) few scathing ones, and go with an overall picture.
Chances are, they wouldn't be disappointed if they followed those general guidelines.
Sadly, the few die-hards on here are ignoring all the 'bad' reviews/previews of Brexit, as well as the average ones, and focussing on the rave reviews, which, as most people are aware, were written by those with an agenda - staff/owners/friends - you get the gist.
As long as you 'believe' your hotel will be wonderful, then it will be.
I wouldn't be booking any holidays using that kind of filter.

Holiday? We don't get to go home afterwards if we don't like it, as the one we've got at the moment will be demolished on 31 October.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The article is from over three years ago, and besides both the EU and Canada have crack teams of negotiators who have much experience at negotiating trade deals. The UK does not.

Canada is not going to negotiate a trade deal with us as we're already given them tariff-free access on virtually everything. What does the UK have to negotiate with once we do that?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Merkel 'if we can find a solution to the backstop in the next 30 days'. I assume that's the royal 'we'.

I'm beginning to appreciate the German sense of humor :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Johnson backstop ploy....perhaps. So - he gets his no deal Brexit. He refuses to put infrastructure on 'our' side of the Irish border. The EU though have to protect their external border and either puts in a hard border (and are themselves acting contrary to the Good Friday Agreement) or (more likely) they put in some kind of soft border arrangements. A smirking Johnson says 'we told you so - there are alternatives to a hard border', therefore no need for a backstop.

Just a thought.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
iu

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Blimey, no wonder I've avoided this thread. People just throw emotive stock phrases back at you. So you genuinely believe that those nasty EU types wouldn't negotiate with us, and would be happy for us to get custom union benefits forever without contributing a penny. If Boris is so convinced about his alternative arrangements then surely the "insurance policy" of a hard border would never be needed. No wonder people have no faith in modern politicians.

Anyway, after dipping my toe in, I think I'll stick to football and music threads.

I have no dea what you are talking about. Sorry.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, that isn't my answer. I was still in bed using my Ipad when I replied and hadn't had enough time to look for where I'd read it.

This article shows quite a few of the pitfalls.
1. People who are retired won't have five years employment records to show. There are people who have lived here since the 1940s who came here after the war.
2. People who are self employed
3. There is only an online record, and no document showing settled status so for future jobs, there may well be a problem.
4. People who are stay at home parents or carers who won't have an employment record.

There are comments in this article of some of the difficulties people are facing. The director of Ofsted was refused because he didn't show evidence from 2013 despite the app only requiring 5 years.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/06/warning-lights-flashing-over-eu-settled-status-app

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/...n_(EU_Withdrawal)_Bill/09-0_2019-03-05a.328.3

I ask the Minister: how is that fair? In the event of no deal, the Government are proposing to reduce the time that people have to apply for settled status. The process of registering 3 million people is already a challenge, and some people believe it might be beyond the Home Office. With less time comes greater risk of mistakes, so why are the Government reducing the means of appeal?

We are talking about a finite number of people who have already been subject to two and a half years of uncertainty. It is worth remembering that about 100 EEA citizens were erroneously threatened with deportation by the Home Office in 2017. Is it really fair to anybody that we are expected to trust the Home Office to mark its own homework? An accessible right of appeal under any terms on which we exit the European Union would provide much-needed reassurance to EU nationals.

How much longer do you need to look for where you read it? You still havnt said where you got your 30% rejection figure for EU nationals from.

90% of our insulin comes from Denmark and has a limited shelf life.

Adam Burt director of Market access at the Danish firm Novo Nordisk (insulin) was on the news earlier explaining how they have provisions in place ( no matter what Brexit outcome) to keep the supply chain of medicines open and was reassuring people they will get their medication no matter what. It was also pointed out that the Danish Novo Nordisk is the market leader of insulin supplies in the UK with just under half of the market share.

Where did you get your figure from that 90% of our insulin comes from Denmark.?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How much longer do you need to look for where you read it? You still havnt said where you got your 30% rejection figure for EU nationals from.

Adam Burt director of Market access at the Danish firm Novo Nordisk (insulin) was on the news earlier explaining how they have provisions in place ( no matter what Brexit outcome) to keep the supply chain of medicines open and was reassuring people they will get their medication no matter what. It was also pointed out that the Danish Novo Nordisk is the market leader of insulin supplies in the UK with just under half of the market share.

Where did you get your figure from that 90% of our insulin comes from Denmark.?

There is just one company in the UK that makes insulin which is enough for 1500-2000 patients. There are 421,000 insulin diabetic patients in the UK. Novo Nordisk is just one of three companies.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factc...supplies-really-at-risk-from-a-no-deal-brexit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here