Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The worrying thing is he is right, as we all know, but if it hasn't been corrected by now after so many poor performances then where is the magic solution going to come from

Agreed. It doesn't tell us anything. "We need to be more defensively solid". The thing we have based our entire game around for 2 seasons now. He's telling our final 5 opponents exactly how we are going to play.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There isn't one - that's why he's essentially saying we need to grind out 3 or 4 0-0 draws..........................

Which as we all know . . . isn't going to happen..

That's why l knew we were done for on Tuesday evening when Cardiff scored their first. We aren't capable of scoring one goal, never mind the two that would have been needed to win the game at that stage.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I almost feel more confident about the games against City, Arsenal and Spurs - at least there Hughton is in comfortable territory, knows how to set up a team in those sorts of games and you never know, we might nick an unexpected, battling point.

Where I feel he has "lost it" is against sides of a similar stature to us - Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham etc.

If you moved any of those exact same sides back down into the Championship and told Chris we were playing them in a Championship league match, he'd go at them. Baldock and Murray upfront and two genuine wingers, remember? You're honestly telling me Cardiff or Huddersfield are currently better than say, Villa or Leeds? They're not, yet Hughton acts as if they are.

Because we're in the Prem he seems to have very slowly become paralysed by fear as to how "these are a good side", no matter who it actually is.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I almost feel more confident about the games against City, Arsenal and Spurs - at least there Hughton is in comfortable territory, knows how to set up a team in those sorts of games and you never know, we might nick an unexpected, battling point.

Where I feel he has "lost it" is against sides of a similar stature to us - Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham etc.

If you moved any of those exact same sides back down into the Championship and told Chris we were playing them in a Championship league match, he'd go at them. Baldock and Murray upfront and two genuine wingers, remember? You're honestly telling Cardiff or Huddersfield are currently better than say, Villa or Leeds?

Because we're in the Prem he seems to have very slowly become paralysed by fear as to how "these are a good side", no matter who it actually is.

Do you think Warnock would have been saying to his team "These are a good side" before their game against us?

He would have been saying "Look at them, they are shit. They lost 5-0 to ****ing Bournemouth. We are going to batter these ********. It's in our hands now lets ****ing take it to them". Surprise surprise, they beat us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A player who looked like scoring when he first played. Looks pissed-off now.
Funny that.

Yes but that's definitely the player being bad and nothing to do with man management.

In all seriousness - watch Ali and Locadia magically transform back into the effective attacking players they used to be, the moment they leave our club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that."

I'm not sure what Bloom and the scouting team will make of that comment having spent £17.1 mill on Ali J, £15.3 mill on Locadia, £13.5 mill on Izquierdo, £15.2 mill on Bissouma, £5.4 mill on Andone and £11.7 mill on Propper.

That's £78.2mill spent and a combined record of 89 starts (+58 subs), 11 goals. Most telling of all is that above signings have just 6 Prem goals between them - Duffy and Dunk combined have 7!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hughton said: “We haven’t been a big goalscoring team. For what we have, we’re not going to be that."

I'm not sure what Bloom and the scouting team will make of that comment having spent £17.1 mill on Ali J, £15.3 mill on Locadia, £13.5 mill on Izquierdo, £15.2 mill on Bissouma, £5.4 mill on Andone and £11.7 mill on Propper.

That's £78.2mill spent and a combined record of 89 starts (+58 subs), 11 goals. Most telling of all is that above signings have just 6 Prem goals between them - Duffy and Dunk combined have 7!!

Yeah. That comment completely shocked me. The upper management won't be happy about that at all.

That could end up being Chris's far more diplomatic version of Gus's infamous "ceiling" comment.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yeah. That comment completely shocked me. The upper management won't be happy about that at all.

That could end Chris's far more diplomatic version of Gus's infamous "ceiling" comment.

I genuinely think this is a big clue to things not being right. The idea of Bloom and Hughton falling out seemed utterly ludicrous just weeks (maybe even days) ago. Bloom won't be happy about this UNLESS he is thinking the same, if he is what of Winstanley? It's revealing a crack, somewhere.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Absolutely. Imagine being Andone reading that. Piss poor.

Don't worry, you'll soon be made aware that's not what he said..

Yes but that's definitely the player being bad and nothing to do with man management.

In all seriousness - watch Ali and Locadia magically transform back into the effective attacking players they used to be, the moment they leave our club.

Absolutely this, double quoting you - apologies. But yep, it isn't 'easy' to score 20+ goals in any league, yet our boys can barely muster a shot let alone on target. In the wise words of Murray "The goal posts don't move whatever division you're in".

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. It doesn't tell us anything. "We need to be more defensively solid". The thing we have based our entire game around for 2 seasons now. He's telling our final 5 opponents exactly how we are going to play.

Oh I'm sure they already knew exactly how we were going to play!, we know no other way. Away from home againg the top six Premier League sides l could well understand it, but at 'Fortress Amex'?, and especially against the lesser sides that we should be looking to beat, no way.

I honestly think that Southampton, Bournemouth, and Cardiff, our last three opponents at home, none of them had played easier games all season. The latter two especially won at an absolute canter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I genuinely think this is a big clue to things not being right. The idea of Bloom and Hughton falling out seemed utterly ludicrous just weeks (maybe even days) ago. Bloom won't be happy about this UNLESS he is thinking the same, if he is what of Winstanley? It's revealing a crack, somewhere.

Apropos of nothing, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel managed to bag an impressive 20 goals in the Dutch top flight in 2016/17 and followed that up with 11 in 21 matches in the Swiss Super League in 2017/18.

*7 goals in 69 matches in the Prem / La Liga / Ligue 1.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh I'm sure they already knew exactly how we were going to play!, we know no other way. Away from home againg the top six Premier League sides l could well understand it, but at 'Fortress Amex'?, and especially against the lesser sides that we should be looking to beat, no way.

I honestly think that Southampton, Bournemouth, and Cardiff, our last three opponents at home, none of them had played easier games all season. The latter two especially won at an absolute canter.

They couldn't believe their luck on Tuesday, you could see their glee. An opposition that offered absolutely nothing. Devoid of any idea how to get the ball in behind a shit Cardiff team.

Not even fight, not even anger. Just nothing. Totally gone mentally.

DEFINITELY 100% nothing to do with Hughton though. You know, the Brighton and Hove Albion FC manager.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I do hope you applied the word synergy to their feelings.
Because if you're trying to tell us they said that themselves I'm gonna have to press this:-

View attachment 107867

:lolol:

They work in IT and project management so this kind of work is synonymous with their business day

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They couldn't believe their luck on Tuesday, you could see their glee. An opposition that offered absolutely nothing. Not even fight, not even anger. Just nothing. Totally gone mentally.

It's that last bit that completely riles me, if we were beaten by a better side on the day, having put up a hell of a fight and tried as hard as we possibly could, then fair enough, but we were beaten before we even kicked off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here