Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Midfield is the problem

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We need to add some pace to our first team, and the players we already have need to be brave enough to take players on and break the lines. When Bissouma and Knockaert do this successfully it makes us look much more threatening.

We currently look a bit easy to play against.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I will say it again, the squad is Championship quality punching above its weight in the Premier League ffs! :shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
we seem to be hoofing it over the midfield alot at the moment which isn't helping, however im not quite ready to bin Propper just yet.

I think for us he looks better playing the deeper of the central 3, he played there in Stephens absence at home to Watford and I thought he had one of his best games.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I'd like to see Propper tackle...just once. Skillful player but we need Kayal back in to add some steel

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that CH isnt tempted to push Gross to play against City and has him ready to play at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff as they will be the telling games of the season and he will make a big difference to how we do in those games.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He's apparently our third highest tackler this season, after Stephens and Montoya: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle

His tackle rate is lower, though (but whisper it softly, Ali J's tackle rate per minute played is higher than Kayal's...)

Good stats

There's tackling and then there's cautiously dipping your toe in with the net result of the ball ending up back with the opposition as was on show last night

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hope that CH isnt tempted to push Gross to play against City and has him ready to play at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff as they will be the telling games of the season and he will make a big difference to how we do in those games.

We do miss Pascal at home games...I doubt very much CH will push him to play this wkd

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wish I was as confident as you as despite the denials the team selection last night suggests CH has targeted the semi final as more important than survival in The Premier.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I will say it again, the squad is Championship quality punching above its weight in the Premier League ffs! :shrug:

It's obviously not. Players like Dunk, Duffy, Stephens Knockaert and Murray have already proved themselves too good for the Championship. Do you really think Ryan, Bernardo, Propper, Gross and Andone are Championship at best?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thanks for that got MacAllister and Macateer mixed up, I knew it was British sounding name. IIRC he is an AMF and Baluta a DMF so possibly a cover/replacement for DS.

That's right although Baluta also plays CB. Not sure what position he's featured in pay this year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's obviously not. Players like Dunk, Duffy, Stephens Knockaert and Murray have already proved themselves too good for the Championship. Do you really think Ryan, Bernardo, Propper, Gross and Andone are Championship at best?

Obviously not and is just a knee jerk reaction to yet another defeat towards our relegation.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
For what it is worth, last night couple of Chelsea fans were quite complimentary about Dale Stephens; and they weren't doing irony.

Propper in Number 10 position ( as he is for the Netherlands) and Bissouma/Kayal/Stephens in midfield. Chelsea normally get found out by targeting and pressing of Jorginho, but their midfield and centre backs were able to carry the ball too far up the pitch, especially in the second half. The brief spell of 100% Brighton possession in the second half with all the Ole shouts was priceless.

On another note, was Gus Poyet out on the pitch at half time prostituting himself for the Chelsea managers job? He has previous ( see Leeds, Reading....)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Midfields tend to struggle when there is nobody in space in front of them to pass to :smile:

As long as our wingers are playing like fullbacks the midfield will struggle to go forward without passing to an isolated forward, which is pretty easy to defend against. The opposition win the ball and come back at a retreating Albion again and again and again and again.

I am in a minority in thinking our midfield is nowhere near as woeful as most suggest, the tactics are making it very difficult for them to shine imo.

The wingers, when they do get forward are failing to make an impact either imo.

I don’t disagree, I think our midfielders are more than adequate, but the system is simply not helping them, they receive the ball jusy outside our box, the wingers are no further up the pitch, we have a solitary striker 40 yards away. Where do they go?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We used to play a 4-4-1-1 formation so our wingers would play their part in defending and Gross would get close to the CF and link the play as well as play the ball into space for the wingers to run into.

Now we play a 4-4-3 formation and our wingers have become inside forwards, they no longer help out in defending to the same degree which leaves our defence exposed. We only play 1 DM to break up play. We don't have a creative playmaker to set up or initiate moves. Our wingers now are tasked with beating a fullback rather than running into space and this doesn't play to their strengths.

We need to shore up the side and get back to basics

This is very much debatable. With the one up front being Murray, we very very easily become 451. Our wingers still spend far too much time defending for my liking. Personally I think the issue is in the offensive phases of play, but I think the issues are systematic at the moment. I'd also add that a fit and firing Andone will probably make a big difference to the midfield area against lower half sides as he'll give our midfield more room to operate by stretching the play.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
For what it is worth, last night couple of Chelsea fans were quite complimentary about Dale Stephens; ....)

He came in for praise from the NBC commentary team too. Not only for last night's perfomance, but also his consistency over the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here