Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of squad quality

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The concerns are the points we did get we got bloody lucky with some of them

West Ham H , Newcastle A , Wolves H - Outplayed in all of these and didn't deserve the wins really
Hudds away - got lucky as being outplayed with 11 men#

Even at Palace we were pretty toilet for large parts.

We haven't played well for yonks. If the season was starting on Saturday then I think we would be shoe ins to be relegated.

Could be on the end of a hammering at Wembley is what I'm starting to think.

Saying that , prob get something at Chelsea the way things go in football

Be interesting to see what happens over the summer if we do stay up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bruno, Bong, Stephens, & Murray need to be replaced with higher quality replacements in the summer.

Bong and Murray will be adequate back-up, bit part players; no need to waste money desperately needed for CMs there. Bruno might still manage a few cameos as back up to Montoya, but expect we will start to rely on our young defenders, who are very good, as back up - Ben White perhaps?

Save all the money for a couple of really good CMs who can control a game, dominate it - and who have 5 or 6 goals a season in them too.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
We got properly punished soon enough for that particularly gormless period of play. Maybe the players and management need to collectively sit down and analyse what that dozen-sideways-passes-in-our-own-half thing is actually trying to achieve. And having analysed it, then just stop doing it :dunce:

The problem is what are they meant to do with the ball. You have Ali J standing still on one side of the pitch and Knocky standing still on the other. So they finally lump it to Murray who often heads it on but obviously none of our players are advanced of Murray to get it and that's the end of that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The problem is what are they meant to do with the ball. You have Ali J standing still on one side of the pitch and Knocky standing still on the other. So they finally lump it to Murray who often heads it on but obviously none of our players are advanced of Murray to get it and that's the end of that.

Jahanbakhsh was never standing still, he was making darting runs all over the place. Including getting a chance inside the box in the first half which was blocked for a corner. He's having to learn to play left wing whilst also learning what his team mates may or may not do in possession. As proven with his flicks inside, they're not on his wavelength and that must be the most frustrating thing of all for him. I think he's being harshly judged at the moment but I'm also conscious this is a very similar argument that I, and others, were making in Mackail-Smith's defence. Team not playing to his strengths, etc.

At some point, I am confident that we will see Ali J fulfill his undoubted potential. He will NOT be another CMS!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not about quality today, it was all about disgusting, negative tactics. Start of the second half was ridiculous, there was absolutely no intent or aim to go forward and even try to win the game. CH at blame today, tried to be negative and play for 0-0 and got what we deserved for such tactics at home against a team below us in the league.

And not for the first time either.

It's really difficult to judge quality if the players are being hamstrung by negative tactics. After we went behind Saturday we did show glimpses of pace and one-touch and we looked so much better. Why we never start games on the front foot, playing with pace, pressing high and attacking is a question that only the manager can answer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bong and Murray will be adequate back-up, bit part players; no need to waste money desperately needed for CMs there. Bruno might still manage a few cameos as back up to Montoya, but expect we will start to rely on our young defenders, who are very good, as back up - Ben White perhaps?

Save all the money for a couple of really good CMs who can control a game, dominate it - and who have 5 or 6 goals a season in them too.

I couldn't agree more. Only when we have that, will we go into all PL games with genuine hope of winning, and to end this (dogged defence) trying to pinch results strategy.

Now over to TB/PB/PW/CH this summer.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Maybe Dan Ashworth can address the lack lustre recruitment

Am underwhelmed at last two seasons signings impact even aiming at mid table success

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here