Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southern Sound/Southern FM/Heart closing in Portslade

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Closing Portslade offices, moving operation to Fareham, 14 regional breakfast shows axed in favour of one London based one starting on 8th April.

Not the local radio they promised us back in 1983.

Tony Millard will be turning in his grave.

Does anyone actually listen to that station? Genuine question. What are the figures like?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No doubt the offices will be converted in to more "luxury" flats :rolleyes:

Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

That must of been at least a year ago, it's now been rebranded to Jess Glynne FM (with the odd smattering of Sam Smith).

Turn up the feel good.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
No doubt the offices will be converted in to more "luxury" flats :rolleyes:

Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

I stopped listening to it when all I got was an overdose of Olly Murs tunes !

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
If you want local community radio covering subjects such as LGBT, third-generation, gardening, food & drink, business, disability issues, theatre, football, Irish community, comedy, mental heath, sexual health, politics - as well as virtually every kind of music - all covering Brighton & Hove, head here... http://radioreverb.com/

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If you want local community radio covering subjects such as LGBT, third-generation, gardening, food & drink, business, disability issues, theatre, football, Irish community, comedy, mental heath, sexual health, politics - as well as virtually every kind of music - all covering Brighton & Hove, head here... http://radioreverb.com/

Defiantly the best listening choice in town.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is there any hope of Spirt FM closing down ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Good mate of mine was a Southern Sound sales rep back in the late '80's.

I got roped in to play as a ringer in many of their charity football matches [I had to pretend I was a news-reader]. Matches were usually arranged by Tony Millard and he "borrowed" the Albion kit - I think he knew the laundry lady at the Goldstone rather well .....
We often had, during some of the summer games, a couple of Albion players turn out too. I recall Danny Wilson, Kieran O'Reagan, Terry Connor, Chris Catlin all being regular "guest players" in these games to draw in some punters. Happy days ....

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
Although by my own admission Cornwall can be slightly backwards our Regional station is "Pirate FM" and I believe it's actually thriving, they recently started "Pirate 2" on DAB.

Possibly because Cornwall is only around the 1995 era in terms of tech but it shows that a regional station can do well in this day and age.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Although by my own admission Cornwall can be slightly backwards our Regional station is "Pirate FM" and I believe it's actually thriving, they recently started "Pirate 2" on DAB.

Possibly because Cornwall is only around the 1995 era in terms of tech but it shows that a regional station can do well in this day and age.

Ah Pirate FM, although still bitter about them changing the jingle for Trago

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On reflection are we getting all dewey eyed over the demise of another local institution, when ultimately it’s down to changing trends and good old financial reasons?

It is sad that a City the size of Brighton and Hove, with a Premiership football club, an eclectic mix in its population, doesn’t have a local commercial radio station, but if it isn’t financially sustainable, as stated by Richard Lindfield in the Argus, then is that the way of the world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here