Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving Kompany a Standing Ovation

Jan 30, 2008
I think you are talking about two totally different things.

Why would we applaud a player who has just played in a team that has completely gubbed us because they are miles better than us? It's everything that is wrong with modern football!

Well done Man City, you were the best team over the course of the season and are worthy winners of the title. Fair play to Liverpool for giving them such a close run.

I was back into the bar post the fourth City goal. It's been a shit season so no one deserved me staying out to watch them saunter round and take applause for what has been a shocking season. I'm very surprised so many stayed to watch City pick up the trophy. Made us look very two bob.
this :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I thought it was a standing ovation?

It's no debate that footballers are getting God like respect now. I've seen clips of people literally falling to their knees in tears at just being in the presence of Ronaldo. The man's as colourful as a chessboard
and as greasy as a frying pan
regards
DR

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The crowd showing appreciation for a professional, seems an all round decent human being, much like our Very own Bruno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Why would we applaud a player who has just played in a team that has completely gubbed us because they are miles better than us? It's everything that is wrong with modern football!

Well done Man City, you were the best team over the course of the season and are worthy winners of the title. Fair play to Liverpool for giving them such a close run.

I was back into the bar post the fourth City goal. It's been a shit season so no one deserved me staying out to watch them saunter round and take applause for what has been a shocking season. I'm very surprised so many stayed to watch City pick up the trophy. Made us look very two bob.

Absolutely.

The benefit of so many happy clappy snappy folk meant the trains just after the final whistle (although we did loiter for the trudge of honour) were blissfully quiet.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We were safe
It was sunny
It was maybe his last game in an amazing career
They applauded Bruno
He does brilliant work outside of his football

Apart from that, no idea why.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Totally and utterly disagree, it’s about respect, you’re telling me if Barcelona come to the Amex and you saw Lionel Messi tear us a new one you wouldn’t applaud? If it were a game that mattered to us I would disagree with applauding any opposition player but at that point we were 4-1 down to the champions of the league, what harm in paying respect to Kompany, who like Bruno has given many years of service to his club and achieved massive things? Man City fans helped give Bruno a massive ovation as well.

It’s not ‘happy clappy’ or whatever you say it’s about respect and game situation. Oh and as a fan who’s been going for 20 years+ witnessed utter dross, losing at home to a 9 man team, witnessing a team lift the premier league trophy in front of us was quite a historic event and might never happen again, I couldn’t stay after but completely understand those who did.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Totally and utterly disagree, it’s about respect, you’re telling me if Barcelona come to the Amex and you saw Lionel Messi tear us a new one you wouldn’t applaud? If it were a game that mattered to us I would disagree with applauding any opposition player but at that point we were 4-1 down to the champions of the league, what harm in paying respect to Kompany, who like Bruno has given many years of service to his club and achieved massive things? Man City fans helped give Bruno a massive ovation as well.

It’s not ‘happy clappy’ or whatever you say it’s about respect and game situation. Oh and as a fan who’s been going for 20 years+ witnessed utter dross, losing at home to a 9 man team, witnessing a team lift the premier league trophy in front of us was quite a historic event and might never happen again, I couldn’t stay after but completely understand those who did.

No harm in doing and each to their own. Just makes our fans look noddy IMO. Lets say we'd beaten City the other week and were in the cup final Saturday, would you stay and watch Watford lift the cup if we lost?

It's been an absolutely fantastic season for football for the neutral. I'm not a neutral though. For us its been disaster!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How is it any different?

You are watching another team celebrating winning a trophy.

Jeez.

Right, an FA Cup loss would be the loss of a FINAL where we had the chance to lift that SAME trophy on that day. We would all feel GUTTED about the result.. No one would stay and applaud the other team lifting the trophy we wanted and had travelled to Wembley for after 5 months of rounds to get there.

Applauding the winners of the prem (which we were never going to win), who play truly amazing football, when we are 62 points behind them, on our last game of a season where we have achieved safety, is NOT THE SAME.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jeez.

Right, an FA Cup loss would be the loss of a FINAL where we had the chance to lift that SAME trophy on that day. We would all feel GUTTED about the result.. No one would stay and applaud the other team lifting the trophy we wanted and had travelled to Wembley for after 5 months of rounds to get there.

Applauding the winners of the prem (which we were never going to win), who play truly amazing football, when we are 62 points behind them, on our last game of a season where we have achieved safety, is NOT THE SAME.
As a Brighton fan I do not see any source of pleasure in watching other teams win a trophy and their fans celebrate it.

Unless of course football is the winner.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As a Brighton fan I do not see any source of pleasure in watching other teams win a trophy and their fans celebrate it.

Unless of course football is the winner.

Thankfully I didn't get any 'pleasure' out of it either, other than sending pics to my Liverpool supporting friend.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Jeez.

We entered the same competition as them and failed miserably at it. You are right we are never going to win it but given the season was such a shit storm I personally didn't want to stay and applaud our team let alone the opposition.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, leaving Man City.

Well deserved round of applause at the Amex, I reckon.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
My half-half scarf takes pride of place on the wall, my new '2nd' club.

s-l300.jpg

But if Liverpool win the CL, I might go back to them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here