Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who makes the second best scrambled eggs in the World?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
All about the poached

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit of a faff getting dressed to go down to breakfast and then going back to undress and get back into bed isn’t it. Unless of course you are a bit of a Noel Coward who goes down in his silk dressing gown.

Sling on yesterday’s clothes. No big deal.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
At least no one has suggested so far using a microwave to scramble their eggs, it is all kinds of wrong.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In many ways, I agree. I just can't get them right - my technique never quite works perfectly.
Mine used to be ok and then I got these..
Stick boiling water in pan, crack egg into rubber cup and place in water, put lid on a simmer for five mins or so, use spoon to ease poached egg out of cup
9147efa88fc29abfb26d75bd6ac60da7.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A technique that I find works well for poached eggs is bring the pan to the boil. Turn heat down to very low , let the boiling subside. Using a long handled tea spoon stir up a vortex in the water, drop eggs in. Leave for 3 mins.
Usually come out pretty perfect with very little white loss.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A technique that I find works well for poached eggs is bring the pan to the boil. Turn heat down to very low , let the boiling subside. Using a long handled tea spoon stir up a vortex in the water, drop eggs in. Leave for 3 mins.
Usually come out pretty perfect with very little white loss.

Tried this. The eggs clump together if you put more than one in the same vortex; and it's impossible to make more than one vortex per pan (and I'm not having one pan per egg). Also, if you're making four poached eggs, the cooking time could be as much as a minute different between first and last, which, in the context of 3 minutes is a BIG difference. So, you have to keep an eye on which egg went in when - which is hard when they're all swirling around in a vortex.

No wine vinegar??

Hang on - how did a thread celebrating my scrambled egg making genius become one mocking my poached egg failures?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Go on then - technique?

It's changed of late. Pan nearly full of (very) slow boiling water, with salt and vinegar added. Crack egg, stir to make 'whirlpool', drop egg in. Cook for three (or so) minutes. On to buttered sourdough toast, Maldon sea salt, few grinds of black pepper (and sometimes truffle oil). Redbush tea and Rancilio-made coffee to wash down. Looks like this is none too dissimilar from [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tried this. The eggs clump together if you put more than one in the same vortex; and it's impossible to make more than one vortex per pan (and I'm not having one pan per egg). Also, if you're making four poached eggs, the cooking time could be as much as a minute different between first and last, which, in the context of 3 minutes is a BIG difference. So, you have to keep an eye on which egg went in when - which is hard when they're all swirling around in a vortex.

No wine vinegar??

Hang on - how did a thread celebrating my scrambled egg making genius become one mocking my poached egg failures?

I'm a one egg pan man. Not sure what that's a euphemism for, but I'm sure certain others can think of something.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's changed of late. Pan nearly full of (very) slow boiling water, with salt and vinegar added. Crack egg, stir to make 'whirlpool', drop egg in. Cook for three (or so) minutes. On to buttered sourdough toast, Maldon sea salt, few grinds of black pepper (and sometimes truffle oil). Redbush tea and Rancilio-made coffee to wash down. Looks like this is none too dissimilar from [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION]

One egg at a time then? What if you want to make four?

EDIT: just seen your other post. So for four poached eggs, you'd either have them in sequence, or have four pans on the go??

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

No wine vinegar??

I’ve done up to three eggs at once using this method with good results. I don’t think eggs are for you. Have you considered veganism :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Crack egg in cling film, tie a knot, in to boiling water for 3/4 mins, jobs a gooden. Don't waste time with vinegar and making a whirlpool....

Ha. Now that's interesting.

Confession: isn't any method that removes the egg from contact with the water - yours and [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION]'s, for example, not really "poaching", more "coddling"? Nothing wrong with that - and they are both methods I will try in future - but with some guilt about calling them poached eggs...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Crack egg in cling film, tie a knot, in to boiling water for 3/4 mins, jobs a gooden. Don't waste time with vinegar and making a whirlpool....

How is stirring some water more time consuming than trying to tie a raw egg into cling film? Plus you’re coddling that egg, not poaching.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry, not well mixed and under cooked in my opinion, nice try 7 / 10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here