Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The seven worst signings in the Premier League this season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yet the forced narrative of 'not even a single bit of skill' is fine I guess because that suits your opinion.

Feel free to quote all my posts where I've claimed he's never shown 'a single bit of skill'. You'll struggle.

I've detailed repeatedly how I think he's got decent technical skills - and suggested that he probably looks great in training, and aces every single crossing / passing / dribbling / shooting drill. (Because in training, much like in his youtube Eredivisie reels, you are afforded TIME to execute your skills, without pressure).

My assessment of Alireza's contribution to date, is entirely fair, and based purely on the evidence before us.

Your assessment on fellow Albion fans' character - that people WANT to see the lad fail, is entirely unfair, and based on **** all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Feel free to quote all my posts where I've claimed he's never shown 'a single bit of skill'. You'll struggle.

I've detailed repeatedly how I think he's got decent technical skills - and suggested that he probably looks great in training, and aces every single crossing / passing / dribbling / shooting drill. (Because in training, much like in his youtube Eredivisie reels, you are afforded TIME to execute your skills, without pressure).

My assessment of Alireza's contribution to date, is entirely fair, and based purely on the evidence before us.

Your assessment on fellow Albion fans' character - that people WANT to see the lad fail, is entirely unfair, and based on **** all.

Nobody asked you to jump in, nobody quoted you or even mentioned you.

What I did do is question 'not even a bit of skill' a bit of skill' was there for all to see.

So the poster was clearly lying to promote a false narrative of failure yet I'm the dick for saying 'hang on a sec that's not fair'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nobody asked you to jump in, nobody quoted you or even mentioned you.

What I did do is question 'not even a bit of skill' a bit of skill' was there for all to see.

So the poster was clearly lying to promote a false narrative of failure yet I'm the dick for saying 'hang on a sec that's not fair'.

Ah, you see - had somebody said "Alireza has never shown a single bit of skill" and you'd just answered "Yes he has - quite a few times in fact - it just didn't come to anything", people would be in general agreement.

When you instead choose to suggest things like "If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be", then SOME people might read that and think that you are accusing them of wishing failure upon a young player, and on an important Albion asset. Possibly even setting yourself up as being somehow a 'better fan' through your own unstinting refusal to accept the valid critical assessments. Perhaps consider that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I hope so too, but it's worrying that he's not shown even a glimpse of promise. No assists and not even a single notable bit of skill. (Assume he looks better in training)

Indeed. All the other new signings (both seasons) have at least shown something, AJ has contributed nothing at all. (Even Locadia has found the net). It's actually incredible how much goodwill there is towards him, a bit like a PL version of CMS or that bloke who was always injured. (Hoskins?)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yep best not let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt.

If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be.
It's such a shame they can't be content with him being disappointing.
Eh? No one wants him to be shite, we all want him to be a worldbeater. Some have already written him off admittedly (maybe prematurely, maybe not), but no one wants to see that the club have wasted 16mil or whatever.

Other news: I see CMS is doing well at Notts County. :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, you see - had somebody said "Alireza has never shown a single bit of skill" and you'd just answered "Yes he has - quite a few times in fact - it just didn't come to anything", people would be in general agreement.

When you instead choose to suggest things like "If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be", then SOME people might read that and think that you are accusing them of wishing failure upon a young player, and on an important Albion asset. Possibly even setting yourself up as being somehow a 'better fan' through your own unstinting refusal to accept the valid critical assessments. Perhaps consider that.

All of which would be fine and dandy if this was a one off.
But it's not though is it?

It's the same repeated behaviour:-

- Be the first to call out the failure.
- Repeatedly bang that drum.
- Deny any evidence to the contrary.
- Enjoy saying 'I told you so'.

I've been supporting the Albion for 40+ years and it's always been like that, a minutes silence wasn't even a safe haven from Brighton's Boo-Boys.

Sure there are trolls on here who have lurched from Ryan, Propper, Locadia, Ali, Stephens, Gross obviously getting some perverse enjoyment from the negativity.

I just don't understand why the seemingly right minded posters are so keen to perpetuate the bad atmosphere.
An atmosphere which does filter through the crowd and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't believe I have said anything complimentary about Ali, because there just isn't the back catalogue, but there's also a lot of extenuating circumstances to at least refrain from joining in with the 'not even a footballer' mugs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Eh? No one wants him to be shite, we all want him to be a worldbeater. Some have already written him off admittedly (maybe prematurely, maybe not), but no one wants to see that the club have wasted 16mil or whatever.

Other news: I see CMS is doing well at Notts County. :whistle:

Personally, although I don't think people want him to fail per se, but there are a group of fans (as there are in most fan bases) that need someone to complain about - Whatever the positive, find the negative.... This season it's been Bong (as usual), Stephens (as usual), Ryan (post Asian Cup), Locadia, March (for the first few months), Gross (until he got injured and his value skyrocketed), Propper. Jahanbakhsh is an obvious target based on his fee and his contribution.

Criticism of his contribution is valid, but has to be tempered by a) needing to adapt; b) his injury-plagued start to life in England; c) the ill-timed Asian Cup d) the fact he's only started 11 games for us and e) the fact that as an offensive, right-sided, wing forward, he's mainly been deployed as a defensive left-sided winger for 75% of the time, or a defensive right winger.

I'm not saying he's nailed on to succeed or fail, just that he's got good technical skill and has the potential to succeed. For me, he needs a full pre-season with the squad and a chance to properly play in his actual preferred role and then we'll see what we've bought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally, although I don't think people want him to fail per se, but there are a group of fans (as there are in most fan bases) that need someone to complain about - Whatever the positive, find the negative.... This season it's been Bong (as usual), Stephens (as usual), Ryan (post Asian Cup), Locadia, March (for the first few months), Gross (until he got injured and his value skyrocketed), Propper. Jahanbakhsh is an obvious target based on his fee and his contribution.

Criticism of his contribution is valid, but has to be tempered by a) needing to adapt; b) his injury-plagued start to life in England; c) the ill-timed Asian Cup d) the fact he's only started 11 games for us and e) the fact that as an offensive, right-sided, wing forward, he's mainly been deployed as a defensive left-sided winger for 75% of the time, or a defensive right winger.

I'm not saying he's nailed on to succeed or fail, just that he's got good technical skill and has the potential to succeed. For me, he needs a full pre-season with the squad and a chance to properly play in his actual preferred role and then we'll see what we've bought.

Yet we have never had it so good, or so we keep being told.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All of which would be fine and dandy if this was a one off.
But it's not though is it?

It's the same repeated behaviour:-

- Be the first to call out the failure.
- Repeatedly bang that drum.
- Deny any evidence to the contrary.
- Enjoy saying 'I told you so'.

I've been supporting the Albion for 40+ years and it's always been like that, a minutes silence wasn't even a safe haven from Brighton's Boo-Boys.

Sure there are trolls on here who have lurched from Ryan, Propper, Locadia, Ali, Stephens, Gross obviously getting some perverse enjoyment from the negativity.

I just don't understand why the seemingly right minded posters are so keen to perpetuate the bad atmosphere.
An atmosphere which does filter through the crowd and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't believe I have said anything complimentary about Ali, because there just isn't the back catalogue, but there's also a lot of extenuating circumstances to at least refrain from joining in with the 'not even a footballer' mugs.

To be fair, once the mob had run Skalak out of town, they needed a new target.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yet we have never had it so good, or so we keep being told.

We haven't, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire for even better (as stated in that post this morning re. Barber and Ashworth). I just think some are too quick to judge a player without looking at the reasons behind that player's success or failure.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
AJ has not worked out well but you can also add Stevens and Propper. They all lack pace. The modern Premier footballers are athletes with skill and pace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, once the mob had run Skalak out of town, they needed a new target.

I'm not sure if that is meant to support Stat's point, or the opposite!?

Jiri Skalak was not very highly rated by plenty, and ultimately they've been proved right, haven't they? The lad can't get a kick at the arse end of the Championship.

But like with Alireza, whilst people questioned whether he was good enough, nobody ever WISHED for him NOT to succeed. Quite the opposite in fact - there was a shedload of goodwill for the crazy Czech mentalist.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yup, I don't disagree at all. You weigh the fact that he hasn't shown anything yet against the mitigating circumstances you've listed. I, along with others, think that on the evidence shown so far the scales tip more towards the 'never going to be what we want' side, but yeah, let's see what he's like after a full pre-season. It's a shame about the 'haters gotta hate', but it was ever thus. I remember back in the 70s Ian Mellor used to get dogs abuse off the crowd. Mullery replaced him with Maybank - and he got even more!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and Ashley "He's non League that lad" Barnes...

Barnes was entirely a different case.

Barnes DID perform, and for whatever reason a portion of the fan-base just didn't take to him. Bizarre really.

The lad succeeded at every level he played for the club. 4 goals in 9 on loan at the end of 09/10. 20 goals in the promotion season of 10/11. Top scorer (14) in the first Championship season, ahead of the big money CMS. And all despite regularly being stuck out wide left.

:shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nail on head. Anyone deciding a definite yes or no already is being a bit daft and naive.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barnes was entirely a different case.

Barnes DID perform, and for whatever reason a portion of the fan-base just didn't take to him. Bizarre really.

The lad succeeded at every level he played for the club. 4 goals in 9 on loan at the end of 09/10. 20 goals in the promotion season of 10/11. Top scorer (14) in the first Championship season, ahead of the big money CMS. And all despite regularly being stuck out wide left.

:shrug:

I agree, although I'd also argue that Skalak also performed for us... Especially in his first season. He just tailed off badly and was replaced by better in the second.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
AJ has not worked out well but you can also add Stevens and Propper. They all lack pace. The modern Premier footballers are athletes with skill and pace.

PL defensive midfield sitters don’t necessarily need exceptional pace; game awareness and positioning is more important.

Wide players do need pace, except possibly exceptional FB’s of a ‘grand’ age - Maldini and Bruno.

But AJ might still cut it. It’s too harsh to judge him after one stop-start season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here