[Food] Non-milk milk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Been drinking unsweetened soya milk for the past 6 months

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Too much dairy in hot drinks gives me fluid in my middle ear (a.k.a. 'glue ear') so I've been on the alt milk for years.

Current favourite is Koko Original (unsweetened) Coconut Milk. Pretty good in tea or coffee.

That's the one we'd recommend (Mrs Sock has been dairy-free for a while) and it's usually about £1.50 a litre, though you can sometime pick up two litres for £2. Personally prefer real milk in tea (skimmed) and coffee (semi) but coconut milk on cereal is fine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Went dairy free for a month last year. Made no difference to anything, but when I went back to normal milk in a latte it tasted weird. Soya is so much nicer because it’s creamier and sweeter. I have normal milk in tea or on cereal or anything like that, but will only drink soya in a latte now. Way nicer.

Sounds grand. Though I'm thinking that 'creamier and sweeter' equates to a humungous number of calories. Win-win if that's not the case.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Anyone a regular consumer of non-dairy milk? Soya, almond, oat or something else?

I'm not a coffee drinker and I tried a masala chai in the local coffee shop the other day, which was served with soya milk. It was amazing, and has me considering trying some of these weirdo non-milks.

What's worth trying? Do they all go with regular tea and taste ok?

Non of that wierdo stuff for me, I will stick to my full cream (blue top ) and occasionally go for the gold top when I can get it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Oatly is always a good shout, as mentioned above. Alpro have just bought out a cashew one, pretty healthy, very creamy and very tasty, but for me the best tasting one is Pure Hemp.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Anyone a regular consumer of non-dairy milk? Soya, almond, oat or something else?

I'm not a coffee drinker and I tried a masala chai in the local coffee shop the other day, which was served with soya milk. It was amazing, and has me considering trying some of these weirdo non-milks.

Almond milk is Lovley and creamy buy the unsweetened version unless you really like sweet things it's really nice in coffee to the point I much prefer it the cows milk, I also think it's really good to cook with particularly when making a white sauce

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
What about Goats? Are they just as dangerous to the planet? As in dairy!

Very dangerous:

ibex-6_640x360_761611843920.jpg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sounds grand. Though I'm thinking that 'creamier and sweeter' equates to a humungous number of calories. Win-win if that's not the case.

Don’t think so, think there are actually a few less, and less carbs as well.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Funnily enough, I tried Dream Rice this week as an alternative to the usual semi-skimmed. Was fine for the homemade Bircher Muesli and was ok in coffee. Didn't try it in tea but I'm not sure it would have worked very well.

Sounds like oat milk is the next one to try!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm with the Alpro organic soya milk since going allergic to cow-juice about 5 years back. I like it. At home i got for Tescos organic for a quid a litre and that's completely fine too. For hot drinks, though, the cheaper end of the range doesn't like to mix too well. Just don't go cheap though - which is the same advice i'd give for veggie sausages and veggie fingers, which have sweetcorn and carrot bits within.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
My wife makes her own oat milk.

Basically she soaks porridge oats in water overnight the strains though muslin. Took her a few go's to get the consistency right, but it much cheaper than buying in cartons.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I am genuinely interested as to the background behind these choices.

Lactose intolerance/genuine dietary rationale is a real PITA so you guys have my sympathies.

Converting to veganism because of family members and therefore convenience over individual beliefs is questionable IMO.

A desire to be more humane to animals is laudable but not for me - just pay more for sustainable and humanly collected milks.

I’m astonished we survived as a species without oat/soy/almond versions for so long

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I have tried almond in the past and found it watery and horrible. I tried something else and faound that shite too. I need dairy in my tea and cerial. However I am now on lactose free dairy, and it has transformed my life (details on another thread).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here