Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, you are not genuinely interested, you are behaving like TAT. I read/listen/study to media stories/reports, I do not make myself out to be a guru on the subject (unlike you ‘the human race will be extinct in 100 years’). I then come to a conclusion based upon what I have seen/read/ heard. Exactly what you do I would imagine, except that you possibly read complete thesis rather than just the bits in the press. You do realise that most of these thesis are from so called experts being paid by an interested party?

But hey, you obviously know better, like TAT.

No, didn’t think you’d be able to.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Your right.. Capitalism isn't exactly working either though. Well for us right now its fantastic.. but do you really think your children/grandchildren will thank us and previous generations? And the solution is what??
On the contrary, I think capitalism is key to combatting climate change. If renewables become more profitable than fossil fuels then it'll be easy. We just need to work out how to get there.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I particularly like the fact that Dame Emma Thompson flew in from L.A to join the protest :facepalm:

5400 miles and when asked if she flew economy to reduce her carbon footprint (1 tonne of CO2 Vs 3 tonnes for business class) she of course replied...."bloody hell No".

Self aggrandising hypocrite. Do as I say, not as I do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Who said they don't care what happens to their own children?
I can't recall, that one.

Who said they said they didn’t care what happens to their own children?

I can’t recall that one.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
On the contrary, I think capitalism is key to combatting climate change. If renewables become more profitable than fossil fuels then it'll be easy. We just need to work out how to get there.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

So if Capitalism is good for combatting climate change how do you suggest consumption of resources are reduced? If its definition is 'an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state' how will profits for private entities be maintained if a complete reduction of consumption is needed to reverse the amount of resources taken from the planet (taking into account Earth overshoot day).

I'm no communist and I do feel Capitalism has its benefits BUT Capitalism requires profits and the cheapest margin possible. Rising populations do not fit with a Capitalist world.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Read it again.

Yup, who said they said etc.
I now assume you just made a statement about the mindset of those who don't agree with everything ER says, implying they don't care about what happens to their own children.
Anyway, I think you will find everyone cares about what happens to their own children, unless they are monsters.
Nearly footytime now, so bye bye.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yup, who said they said etc.
I now assume you just made a statement about the mindset of those who don't agree with everything ER says, implying they don't care about what happens to their own children.
Anyway, I think you will find everyone cares about what happens to their own children, unless they are monsters.
Nearly footytime now, so bye bye.

Bye.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
The problem with these protestors is they need to convince the majority of ordinary, everyday people to believe in their cause, part of which will involve people making lasting changes to their lifestyles and maybe voting patterns in the future. The very people they are frustrating and angering are the ones they need to be on board going forward, in short it is a stupid strategy that alienates the very people their cause depends upon.

I support their purpose but not their methods which will, in my opinion, set their cause back a few steps.

Do you honestly think their methods of protest will make the public abuse our planet more than they do so already , out of spite ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do you know what happens to protestors in these countries?
They’ve been treated appallingly enough in the U.K.

Behave. Come back when you've stopped virtue signalling and have reviewed the recent news footage of French police cowards squirting pepper spray directly into the eyes of protesters from about eighteen inches away. Dare say many of the psychos in the Met would like nothing more than to give our lot a bloody good hiding. But with doubtless firm orders from above, most officers on super cushy duties in the sun, and the telly cameras following their every move, they're remaining remarkably restrained. At least for now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I installed solar panels on the roof of my house [that I own] last year.
If everyone owned a house and put solar panels on the roof that would create a massive dent in the world's carbon footprint.

I have no idea whether me owning a house and buying my own solar panels makes me a good guy or bad in a contribution to saving the human race?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If the answer is 'water cannons' I presume the question is 'what would be the worst way to disperse a peaceful protest?'.

Anyway, carry on.

Yeah, its a typically lazy Daily Mail type reaction

Good on em for recent protests, you have to ask, what's in it for them?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And now we have politicians listening to a teenage Norwegian girl telling us what she thinks needs to be done. She's 17 for chrissake. A bloody teenager. Why the hell should anyone listen to her? She should be hauled back to school. If she really wants to address the problem, then she should go and lecture the countries which are the real problems, China, India, the USA and Germany. Pathetic.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
What is pathetic is people shooting down those who are trying to raise awareness of the issue. She's 17, so what, she probably speaks more sense because she's in a position to look at it impartially, whereas the people in charge are more concerned about how their backhanders will be affected.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And now we have politicians listening to a teenage Norwegian girl telling us what she thinks needs to be done. She's 17 for chrissake. A bloody teenager. Why the hell should anyone listen to her? She should be hauled back to school. If she really wants to address the problem, then she should go and lecture the countries which are the real problems, China, India, the USA and Germany. Pathetic.

If anyone needs hauling back to school, it’s you pal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here