Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City v Tottenham CL......Porto v liverpool

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How much is Son worth after this tie? I wish he was English, what a player.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
1) Why was ref not shown this angle for the handball?

[tweet]1118625495959113728[/tweet]

2) For me the winner wasn't offside.

I wanted a City win as Spurs won't win it - and I don't like the Jew love in for the semis......but quite nice to see Pep's smugness dented a little.

1) that isn’t hand ball, his arm is within the silhouette and tucked in as much as possible.
2) it was offside by the letter of the law.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't like Tottenham either mate but I learnt the hard way about using certain words towards a religion.

It's actually a race. Not sure what a 'Jew love in' constitutes. I know Tottenham has an historical association with the Jewish community but it's a strange comment.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Europa League quarter-final second legs should be intriguing tomorrow, especially Napoli v Arsenal.

BT Sport well worth the subscription at the moment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's actually a race. Not sure what a 'Jew love in' constitutes. I know Tottenham has an historical association with the Jewish community but it's a strange comment.

As do Ajax.

Wiki said:
Historically, Ajax was popularly seen as having "Jewish roots". Although not an official Jewish club like the city's WV-HEDW, Ajax has had a Jewish image since the 1930s when the home stadium was located next to a Jewish neighbourhood of Amsterdam-Oost and opponents saw many supporters walking through the Nieuwmarkt/Waterloopleinbuurt (de Jodenhoek—the "Jews' corner") to get to the stadium.[107] The city of Amsterdam was historically referred to as a Mokum city, Mokum (מקום) being the Yiddish word for "place" or "safe haven",[108] and as anti-Semitic chants and name calling developed and intensified at the old De Meer Stadion from frustrated supporters of opposing clubs, Ajax fans (few of whom are actually Jewish[109]) responded by embracing Ajax's "Jewish" identity: calling themselves "super Jews", chanting "Jews, Jews" ("Joden, Joden") at games, and adopting Jewish symbols such as the Star of David and the Israeli flag.[109][110]

This Jewish imagery eventually became a central part of Ajax fans' culture.[110] At one point ringtones of "Hava Nagila", a Hebrew folk song, could be downloaded from the club's official website.[109] Beginning in the 1980s, fans of Ajax's rivals escalated their antisemitic rhetoric, chanting slogans like "Hamas, Hamas/Jews to the gas" ("Hamas, hamas, joden aan het gas"), hissing to imitate the flow of gas, giving Nazi salutes, etc.[109][111] The eventual result was that many (genuinely) Jewish Ajax fans stopped going to games.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I thought that was VAR getting it right - and ultimately made the right call to determine the outcome.

Watching those two versus last night it’s hard to believe it’s even the same sport.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One thing we'll have to get used to with VAR is to resist going MENTAL when we score. Spurs had a lengthy review after celebrating a goal, and that was a goal that could easily have been chalked off for handball. Man City thought they'd won it, celebrated long and hard, before....oh hang on....refs got his finger in his ear. Nope, sorry boys, part of Aguero's shin was offside.

You want VAR ? You want FORENSIC decisions by pixel margins ? (forget "clear and obvious" - that ship has LONG since sailed). Well, this is the price we all have to pay. The loss of the spontaneous joy of scoring. Welcome to the new game...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Learnt something new there.

A few (maybe even 10?) years ago there were similar news reports about Dutch fans singing anti-Ajax songs that were anti-semitic (a bit like the Chelsea fans and their songs about spurs) and Dutch people being shocked by it. Dunno if it still goes on.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Is there VAR in the championship? I’m actually getting quite excited by extra games, Fulham, Brentford and QPR away instead of trying to keep it to only a couple of goals defeat at the emirates and Stamford bridge. And if we get to keep spontaneous goal celebrations...?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One thing we'll have to get used to with VAR is to resist going MENTAL when we score. Well, this is the price we all have to pay. The loss of the spontaneous joy of scoring. Welcome to the new game...

I’ve resisted going mental with Albion’s scoring for a long time.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A few (maybe even 10?) years ago there were similar news reports about Dutch fans singing anti-Ajax songs that were anti-semitic (a bit like the Chelsea fans and their songs about spurs) and Dutch people being shocked by it. Dunno if it still goes on.

Inevitably it will. However much society grows up there will be those who refuse to come along.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At least we know with VAR that all controversy will END.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here