Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Grand Theft Auto

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
What advice would NSC members give to a parent who is being asked by his 12 year old (soon to be 13) that he wants GTA for his birthday. He already plays Just Cause 4.

Ask yourself if you normally let your 12 year old watch 18 rated films alone and for hours on end. If the answer is yes, then great, as you know your son and his maturity better than we do. If the answer is no, I wouldn't recommend the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was initially banned from playing the games after I was running around Vice City with a Samurai Sword. I was 6 at the time, so I can see my parents point.
:lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to say, I was slightly disappointed to not hear in the beginning of that video the infamous, “SEEEEEEGAAAAAA!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for you:-

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stick to FIFA 19 and Fortnite, when my lad asked I upgraded something on FIFA and he was happy

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I would suggest the assassin's creed series. They are still adult with killings etc but as they are historically set it is more fantasy rather than real if that makes sense. there is less sex and drug references and a lot less swearing. Plus the graphics are beautiful. I have been playing Odessey now since Christmas and is huge, still have half the map to uncover let alone finish. only heard one expletive (that I remember) and that was "I will ****ing kill you". I remember it as it stuck out as being harsh.

I did let my 5 year old 'play' Watch dogs 2. I had finished the game but you can still run about and get into cars etc so I thought there was no harm. I knew he was too young to work out how to use weapons etc. and the missions had finished so he couldnt get into bother plus his little hands wouldn't really hold the controller correctly.
However if you ran into some of the random pedestrians they would tell you to **** off. so I quickly had to stop that and go back to lego

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Me and my mates grew up playing GTA when we were younger so did my younger cousins, one was 6/7 when he first got the game. None of us are murderers, car thieves, burglars, sleep with prostitutes then kill them and all the rest.

In fact my cousin is now an accountant in New York. go figure.

If your kids cant tell the difference from real life and game then take a look at yourselves. No way playing GTA will turn the kids in to a monster when they are older, its either in them from birth or not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We reluctantly got GTA under pressure for our 12 year old when all his mates had it (they really did).

He used it for racing around Los Antos, vandalising and attacking people. After a while it wore thin, and he preferred FIFA.

He a harmless kid and now 16 year old, in the real world very unlikely to hurt people or break things.

So I’d say it depends on the child and real world values in the family.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I've played it a lot, and for me the thing that would worry me most would be letting my kid play it, would be letting them play online as there are so many weirdos and idiots on there. If you let them play it online you would essentially be letting them loose in an adult environment. If you let them just play the story, that would be much better but I'm still not entirely convinced it would be appropriate for a 12 year old. I can appreciate how tricky it must be if his friends play it.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
It's a great game, it's only as bad a you make it for the most part. It's a myth that children end up messed up because of video games, the only kids who do are ones who already have some issues.

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
Thanks for all the comments and advice on this thread. Although my 12 year old is a perfectly level headed kid and very unlikely to be turned into a monster by playing GTA our decision is NO - HE CAN HAVE IT WHEN HE IS A BIT OLDER IF HE IS STILL INTERESTED. Thanks again

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for all the comments and advice on this thread. Although my 12 year old is a perfectly level headed kid and very unlikely to be turned into a monster by playing GTA our decision is NO - HE CAN HAVE IT WHEN HE IS A BIT OLDER IF HE IS STILL INTERESTED. Thanks again

Good decision [emoji106][emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here