Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] So, Amazon pays 1000s of people to listen to Alexa recordings.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think it's going to be "Alexa, my friend wants to know..." from now on.

:lolol:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
In our house Alexa and i have a poor relationship. She's so difficult and obtuse most of the time that the air frequently turns blue because of my frustration. I'm sure she'll have me on some kind of swearers' blacklist, snooty cow.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I must admit that I’m very very fond of Alexa but I may have said some things to her that I regret. I was just trying to get her to talk dirty.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
May just be a coincidence but some friends of mine, who have Alexa in the lounge, had someone around for dinner. The guest was talking about how he was disillusioned with his job and talking about trying for another job elsewhere in the same field. The following day the friend received a number of emails offering positions in exactly the sector that the guest was thinking of moving within.

Call me paranoid but I have given Alexa the chop in our house :smile:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I one asked Cortana why she wasn't as good as Siri. She just said ouch and stopped talking to me. True story.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
May just be a coincidence but some friends of mine, who have Alexa in the lounge, had someone around for dinner. The guest was talking about how he was disillusioned with his job and talking about trying for another job elsewhere in the same field. The following day the friend received a number of emails offering positions in exactly the sector that the guest was thinking of moving within.

Call me paranoid but I have given Alexa the chop in our house [emoji2]
It's pretty much sure that Alexa IS another way to target people's preferences and needs and desires in the same way Google uses your search information to target advertising on individuals.

Remember that Alexa is constantly monitoring conversations in order to listen out for " Alexa.. Can you tell me.. ? " etc etc. I'm pretty sure all conversations are monitored and micro analysed for key words and phrases and the data collated.

I don't think there is any evil intention to use this data but data is fast becoming a commercial product that can be bought and sold to give multi nationals an even bigger edge when it comes to marketing.

And yes, I won't have one in the house.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Company invents a listening device.
People buy said listening device.
People then surprised the device listens to them.

:shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Some of us older folk are luddites, well BG and I are anyway :smile:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

How many other conversations go on in the same house without extremely precise advertising as a result ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of us older folk are luddites, well BG and I are anyway :smile:

I too am very much a Luddite.
But when an electronic device, owned by a global empire, replies I can be fairly certain Big Brother is listening.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

The things is, I though what I said to Alexa was between me and Alexa. I could really open up to her.

Now I know that what I say to Alex is between me, Alexa and some spotty work experience kid at Amazon.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

How did Alexa get the friend's email address?

It's not the sort of thing you drop into the conversation is it?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was thinking about buying Sonos. I have been told in no uncertain terms by Mrs M that we are not getting one with Alexa built in because she doesn't want a device constantly listening.

The joy on her face when she told me about this yesterday. :lolol:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Recently I've come across two people, completely separately, who deal with cyber security and I've had near enough exactly the same conversation with both about smart devices. One of them dealt with it in the Police before taking a remarkably well paid private sector job protecting banks online security so these aren't tin foil hat wearing cranks. Both have said they would never have an Alexa in the house and both have said they even go as far as to cover the camera on their ipad with a small sticker.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here